Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Capture NX2 any good??

ikky 34 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2014 12:51PM
Has anyone any expeirience of using Nikons capture NX2.Im looking for an addition to my Nikon supplied View NX2.
Im no geek so try not to be to techy with answers.
Is Gimp worth a shot or lightroom.
So far ive only done basic tweeking.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

daibev e2
10 44 Wales
28 Aug 2014 2:02PM
NX2 has now been replaced by NX-D which is a free download.
This is much better than view NX2 but not quite as good as capture NX2.

But given the cost of NX2 and the fact that it has now been replaced I would go for Capture NXD rather than NX2.

A better option, if at a higher price is Lightroom. Very capable and gives excellent results.
cantona43 e2
9 890 4 England
28 Aug 2014 3:08PM
I have to agree with the above comment
Neil
oldblokeh 3 845 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2014 3:19PM
I find the user interface of NX-D to be rather clunky compared with that of Lightroom, or View-NX come to that. I have not played with NX-D much, but it doesn't seem to have any way of performing local adjustments, e.g. spot removal, exposure etc. adjustments for selective areas. So I guess you get what you pay for. Another vote here for Lightroom.
28 Aug 2014 4:50PM
I use both NX2 and NX-D. I find I can do more in NX2 it has colour control points, and numerous other tools, it also reads and can use the camera setting sand it supports all the new cameras.
I used to use PhaseOne Capture 1 but it won't read Nikon D610 raw files, it requires an upgrade to their latest software which won't run on my comp as they have done away with 32bit versions.Sad

Mat
icphoto 13 1.5k England
28 Aug 2014 6:06PM
NX-D processes the RAW files from my D7000 better than Adobe Camera Raw, downside is that the interface is awful!
thewilliam 6 4.7k
28 Aug 2014 6:09PM
We use Capture NX2, Lightroom and PS, depending on the task in hand.
Nickscape 8 696 9 England
28 Aug 2014 10:42PM

Quote:NX-D processes the RAW files from my D7000 better than Adobe Camera Raw, downside is that the interface is awful!

Completely agree, I've tried them all and have settled on Phase One's Capture One Express which I find gets the most out of my D7100 files and has a very neat interface so you can process a lot of pictures very quickly.
seahawk e2
7 582 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2014 9:42AM
I'm a Nikon user but thought that NX2 was pretty poor compared to Lightroom, so I would go for LR. Capture One I found rather buggy but maybe the latest version has corrected that.
ikky 34 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 10:33AM
Looks like its Lightroom will give the free trial a go

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.