Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Capture One v4 beta version is now out

cambirder 10 7.2k England
31 Aug 2007 10:47AM

Quote:So just wondering if this is possibly a free way for people to get version 4? (although i think I'll wait until the bugs are out of it!)

It is the Free Sandisk 3.7 also allows a free upgrade to 4.0 LE

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 11:05AM
Review on Luminous Landscape - which can be summerised as "it's not Lightroom" Wink
Simon_Palmer 8 759 11 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 11:42AM

Quote:"it's not Lightroom"
No surprises there. I have to be honest and say I have never seen the fascination with C1. To me it has always looked outdated, far better convertors out there I reckon. As the review says, it has a lot to do to catch up with what is now the 'defacto' standard. They definitely need to lower their prices considerably too.

Just my opinions.

LR and Aperture FTW!! Wink

Simon
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 11:51AM

Quote:"it's not Lightroom"

Yes thank goodness, lets think do we want fast high quality processing of RAW images at a low price (free with a memory Card) or do we want to pay a fortune for a slower RAW converter that has more functions, but functions that are done as well in lower cost image editors.

I would accept Light room if it did more (i.e give it the current functionality plus all the functionality of Elements) or it took a massive drop in price. Mind you it would still be slow.

Lightroom strikes me as bein niether fish or fowl.
lobsterboy e2
31 Aug 2007 11:53AM
I just find Lightrooms interface clunky & slow, plus the keywording stuff is pants and the web galleries are a nightmare to customise.

Even the Beta of c1 is faster than Lightroom1.1 too.

Those are the main reasons for my interest Wink
31 Aug 2007 12:00PM
Keywording pants, are you using the same version as me?? This feature is excellent.

Web Galleries are a bonus I always reckon plus they fine here.

I have to say tho, LR does love RAM, needs at least a Gig for it to start working anywhere near right. Bah! RAM is dirt cheap nowadays so hardly an argument.

Simon

PS Fascinated how I managed to travel forward 2 years to post that last comment Wink
lobsterboy e2
31 Aug 2007 12:23PM

Quote:Keywording pants, are you using the same version as me??

Yup - but I'm also using iView too....much better IMHO.
Try creating your own web gallery template and you will see what I mean, don't bother asking Adobe for documentation as there ain't none, so far there are only about 6 people on the web who have worked out how to do it - I'm one of them and I'm in no hurry to do it again!
skeletor 11 1.6k England
31 Aug 2007 12:26PM
I'm with you Simon,
I find keywording a doddle - Not sure how it could be made easier.

LR is slow, but turning off "Automatically write changes to XMP" speeds things up considerably. Not ideal, but certainly makes LR usable while the boffins fix it.

Steve
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 12:43PM
Lightroom runs fine on my PC (although it has 3gb Ram). I much prefer the Lightroom interface (to Capture One 3.7) but many argue that Phase One is a better converter.
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 12:47PM
Well, capture 1 does everything I want, quickly and at a high quality.

Why pay extra for a bunch of tools I am not currently looking for?

Maybe I'm too used to the Capture 1 workflow, but Light room seems to 'fall between two stools' to my mind.
31 Aug 2007 12:47PM
I always reckon tho that C1 has that C1 look to it. You know you look at the pic and can just tell it was C1 processed. It's like Japanese Hi-Fi, its all tweaked and sounds woolly, not quite real. LR on the other is like British Hi-Fi, raw and real.

LR runs fine, people that say it doesn't either have less than a Gb of RAM or a machine running too much crap (rubbish, incase the word hitler gets me) Wink

Simon
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 12:49PM

Quote:I always reckon tho that C1 has that C1 look to it. You know you look at the pic and can just tell it was C1 processed. It's like Japanese Hi-Fi, its all tweaked and sounds woolly, not quite real. LR on the other is like British Hi-Fi, raw and real.

Do you have any examples of this, or have you just found a couple of C1 users who happen to have a simular style?
lobsterboy e2
31 Aug 2007 12:54PM

Quote:but Light room seems to 'fall between two stools' to my mind.

Me too - but I the best description I have seen is that it is a choice between a "Department store" and a "shopping mall", LR & aperture are department stores - they have everything you want...or something pretty near to it wheras C1 is part of the shopping mall approach where you can find exactly the thing you want.
31 Aug 2007 1:01PM
We are all entitled to our own opinion. I prefer the LR and Aperture way of doing things, others prefer C1. Nowt wrong wi' that i say. Be a shame if we were all the same.

Quote:wheras C1 is part of the shopping mall approach where you can find exactly the thing you want
I want Keywords, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want a slideshow, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want a web gallery, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want...... need I go on?? I get what you mean tho Wink Sorry

Simon
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 1:16PM
Simon it is taste, and funny I would say the opposite. Good C1 images have detail and clarity and low noise. Lightroom never gives me the lot at once, and it is so sloooooooow.

to take your analogy.

C1 is a custom amplifier unit, focused on clarity. Lightroom is the Amstrad, lots of lights and buttons, but fails to deliver a low noise clear performance. But look at those LED's flash wow must be Cool, and two Cd's wooooooh.

Sad thing is C1 is priced like the Amstrad and Lightroom is way over priced.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.