Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Capture One v4 beta version is now out

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 1:16 PM

Quote: I want Keywords, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want a slideshow, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want a web gallery, ooh sorry it don't do it. I want...... need I go on?? I get what you mean tho Sorry

I'll give you keywarding - I can that could be usefull in a Raw convertor, however I not interesting in running a web gallery or slideshow from the Raw convertor.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2007 - 1:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RCJ
RCJ  7
31 Aug 2007 - 1:19 PM

Dont forget capture NX as well which is very good for raw conversion but even if i switch to canon i'd still use the software on tiff files....the cropping tool is miles better than the photoshop crop tool.....

randomrubble
31 Aug 2007 - 1:23 PM

Quote: "it's not Lightroom"

That's a plus for me. I'm glad that Phase One have not gone down the 'kitchen sink' route of trying to do everything.

There's definitely a place for a nimble, focussed, RAW converter that doesn't do a great deal else and allows users to create thier own workflow. A real plus as far as i'm concerned. As a Photoshop user, with a liking for managing my own files, I'd use only about 10% of what Lightroom/Aperture provide.

I find that C1 is the most suitable app for my way of working with files. I've tried most of the key competitors, except Aperture. The only one that gave appreciably better results with my work was DxO for certain images. The price of DxO elite and it's UI put me off buying it as a supplemental tool.

Got to admit that I am starting to make use of Canon's DPP now. Through necessity at first, but sometimes by choice now. For those who haven't used it for a while, it's improved quite a lot over the past couple of years.

Simon_Palmer
31 Aug 2007 - 1:25 PM

Quote: however I not interesting in running a web gallery or slideshow from the Raw convertor

Granted, but lets not forget that an awful lot of photographers don't even use PS etc. They process the RAW and bang it straight out from there, it is just a different angle is all. Apple made a huge thing of this with Aperture. Also many people can;t afford PS as well as a convertor.

Simon

mattw
31 Aug 2007 - 1:38 PM

Quote: Granted, but lets not forget that an awful lot of photographers don't even use PS etc.

Really? I mean, my old 300D came with a copy PS elements - is it not the same with the current models?

Elements is a lot cheeper that Lightroom, and even includes it's own RAW convertor. If fact Elements + C1 LE is cheeper than lightroom.

Lightroom is not designed to replace PS either.

Simon_Palmer
31 Aug 2007 - 1:43 PM

I find ones ability not to read correclty what has been typed in this day and age amazing. I repeat LOTS OF TOGS NO USE PS, they'll shoot raw, process it and bang it out from there. If the photo is taken correctly it don't need Photoshopping/Elementsing Wink

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
31 Aug 2007 - 1:58 PM

Quote: If the photo is taken correctly it don't need Photoshopping/Elementsing

Ah! There speaks an expert obviously! Us lesser mortals who fail to get it perfect every time, have to resort to these programmes. I doubt very few serious togs don't use PS or similar.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
31 Aug 2007 - 2:01 PM

Just downloaded the programme, and as yet I haven't read any of the destructions, but unable to load any photos at the moment. Say "loading". and sits there for ever! I better get reading.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 2:01 PM

Ah Simon, there is no option for us but to bow and say we are not worthy. Not met a photographer in the real world who uses RAW and not paintshop/photoshop etc.

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Aug 2007 - 2:05 PM
Simon_Palmer
31 Aug 2007 - 2:17 PM

I don't remember making a personal attack on anyone here. Yet 2 of you do it in the space of 3 mins. Fascinating.

Mind you we digress, I PERSONALLY prefer LR or Aperture however I do wish Phase One all the best with it's new v4 and hope it succeeds for them.

Simon

NikH
NikH  10524 forum posts England
31 Aug 2007 - 2:18 PM

Good god guys, I only started this thread as a quick notification / bit of news - not to start WW3.

Mind you, at least we're not arguing about Canon vs Nikon or Digital vs Film Wink Wink Wink

obviously Canon and Digital though Wink

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 2:26 PM

Quote: Mind you, at least we're not arguing about Canon vs Nikon or Digital vs Film

Give it time ... Wink

NikH
NikH  10524 forum posts England
31 Aug 2007 - 2:34 PM

Quite Wink

Mind you, it did take 4 pages until the first mention of personal attacks, which I figured was a bit slow by normal standards Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 2:51 PM

Simon its Friday and light fun Smile

It was just in your tone, was but meant as a tug of the old leg. Think of it like down the pub with a wink Wink

now if I wanted to be personal it would be

"your mother smells like a camel I fart in your general direction"

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Aug 2007 - 2:54 PM
mattw
31 Aug 2007 - 3:04 PM

Quote: If the photo is taken correctly it don't need Photoshopping/Elementsing

I a great deal of satisfaction from an image that I can get right just in C1 - however my skills are limited, and these are few and far between.

Ultimately though, why limit tools at your disposal? Neither C1 nor Lightroom is designed to replace PS.

From your post I thought you were suggesting that photographers did not use PS (or similar) because of budgetary constraints. If this was not your meaning, I humbly apologise - however we will have to agree to disagree.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.