Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Capturing the essence of a location

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Milvus
    Milvus  7168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2013 - 8:47 PM

Looking at my own and others photos some standout as capturing a location exactly how you remember it. Others whilst technically good don't evoke any emotion or capture the essence of the place.

Whilst I know it is a very subjective thing how does a photographer go about identifying what it is that makes a photo 'work'?

I don't shoot people just landscapes and architecture but I would guess that portrait photographers face the same issue.

Would be interested in other peoples views!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 May 2013 - 8:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Eviscera
    Eviscera e2 Member 81103 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2013 - 9:29 PM

Essence and imagination

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Quote: I don't shoot people just landscapes and architecture but I would guess that portrait photographers face the same issue

The difference here is, you would need to know that person in a photograph.

779HOB
    779HOB  21020 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 May 2013 - 6:39 AM

I think you need to know your subject whatever it is. Someone who knows a place or person will find it easier to take a photo that captures the essence of that subject.

I look at the many photos taken of my area (Exmoor) and find them to not show the area that I know at all. What they show is the postcard and advertising image of the area. That isn't to say they aren't very good photos but they depict the surface only.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64428 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    4 May 2013 - 7:27 AM

essence - the basic or most important feature of something that determines its character.
    To capture that in a photograph I think would be impossible.

puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    4 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Like others have said, it's knowing the area, where you get the best out of an image at a certain time of day. The type of weather when taking a shot. A bleak moorland shot is far better when you have a moody sky, rather than a clear blue sky. I would say clouds are one of the main factors when taking landscape shots.

Canonshots
    4 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Consider what it is that makes you want to photograph this scene in the first place, then try to compose a shot that emphasises that specific aspect. It is, of course, easier said than done. I know - I've often tried.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.