Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Car Insurance claims

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

I mentioned what's coming a few years ago when I had someone bump into the back of me, but didn't take them up on it as the guy would have last his no claims so I worked with him to avoid it.

Here's the scene.
Someone bumped into me a couple of weeks ago. One of those roundabout hesitation things. It was the girl's fault (young blonde - no jokes please) She admitted it.

I haven't been involved in a scrape for years but I remember in the old days you called your insurance. They called the third party and between you you arranged for a few quotes and took the best and the job was done. Everyone relatively happy. No cost to the person who was the "victim" and no stress.

Now the way it works now. I phone my insurance company up. They take all the details of me and third party and give me a reference number. I'm told the car is to be repaired by a authorised repair agent and a hire care will be provided while it's being repaired. They collect the damaged car, someone else brings me a hire car. I have to pay the excess (350) and lose my no claims bonus. A loss recovery company is commissioned to help recover the excess...and if successful I also get my no claims returned.

So in the space of a week I have to be involved in several long phone calls to five different companies...one to the insurance co, one to the repair centre, one to the car hire people, one to the company who assist in arrange car hire, and one to a loss recovery company. I have a different reference number to quote for each company.

My car has now been taken away. It has a dented bumper and a sprained boot and out of aligned rear light. I estimate that repair would be about 300 in the real world. I have to pay 350. They gave me no indication of when the repair would be done. I've since found out it will be approx 10th June!

The rental car is here...it's 80 per day!

Okay I'm told the loss recovery will get me my money back, but who's actually paying for all this.

If this is happening all over the country won't all our premiums go up each year?

It all seems so wrong.

I realise from the amount of misunderstanding about how we run our site that I may have misread this whole deal. Is anyone involved in this business who can explain what I've missed or is it all a huge sham designed to drag out as much money from the system as possible.

All these five companies will be extracting cash. I have a repair that I could have left until someone was ready to repair. I have a hire care that I wouldn't have needed and loss recovery co that shouldn't be necessary if both insurance cos agree on a deal. and I wouldn't risk losing my no claims, or have to shell otu the 350 when it's not my fault.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

It's a real pain isn't it. My last claim was a few years ago and was simple, the insurance company did it all, but maybe as it was a claim for damage, well actually, 2 in 2 days, 1st was car being keyed outside the house along with about 30 others and 2 days later someone bashed it in the supermarket, but insurance company sorted everything, including free hire car and I didn't lose my no claims, but had to pay 400 for the 2 excesses, the cost of that repair was over 1200.00 as every panel had a scratch from the keys Sad
If you are looking for a good company at the moment, for household we use M&S and have had 2 claims, both sorted with only a phone call & settled within 10 days.
I'd change your company if I were you as they should be doing the work.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Quote: I estimate that repair would be about 300 in the real world. I have to pay 350.

New bumper..that's a starter for 300 (parts + vat) + straightening out the bent framework, new rear light 90 + labour + respray any damaged paintwork...you'll be lucky if it isn't written off Smile

I had a bump in a garage last year.....phone call from garage "we've got some bad news for you" Expecting a hefty repair bill...then he said "some woman (yes!) reversed into your car whilst it was parked in our garage bay" ...she nearly drove off, but an alert salesman collared her.

The damage - a slight indentation in the plastic bumper -and a couple of pressure dents in the rear tailgate.......nothing that couldn't have been pulled out....

I then get a letter from her insurance company saying that I could use their 3rd part repairer and hire car for free. It didn't sound right to me, so I went through my own insurance company...took about 3 weeks but the actual cost was in excess of 900......fortunately we didn't lose our no claims. Hope it comes back clean! Wink

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

I agree Pete its criminal. I have two recent experiences and I know I am paying

First Car nicked off driveway to be used in Petrol station robbery (house broken into and keys nicked). Car returned round the corner with mud and scratches on rear. One set of keys missing. The police too it away on a truck to see if they could get any evidence. two days later when they were finished with it 150 charge, and here is the good bit. Because it was a lease car and I did not have the registration documents they would not release it to me only to the lease company who of course had to use an accident management company who had to collect the car on another truck..... By giving the police the permission to carry out tests they wanted to charge me for recovery. Two hours later by phone charges waved, but still they would not release car to me even though PC that I gave the spare keys to confirmed it was me. Arrrrrrrghhhhh.

So 80 repair blown up into over 600 plus 3 weeks. And to make it worse I ended up having to take it to a dealer to get the alarm system coding performed..................

Next my kid in car at roundabout. A bus cut him up by turning right from the left turn only lane. Neither vehicle touched. All parties agree below 5mph incident, note not crash. Woman on bus claimed for leg injury and tow others for whiplash (at 5mph) Settled at just below court claim level by ambulance chaser lawyers. Insurance company point out it costs more to investigate than pay. Result claim for crash that never happened.

Goes off to grumble some other place.

Last Modified By strawman at 21 May 2010 - 12:33 PM
mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

You'd be surprised at the cost of repairs...average in the Insurance industry is around 1000. I'm surprised you have had to pay your excess if the other party has admitted liability - your insurance company should really have got the admission of liability from her insurance company and then simply waived your excess, thus allowing your no claims to remain unnaffected - unfortunately not all insurance companies try to make things easy for customers...

Hope it gets sorted quickly for you!

Chris

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

I sympathise with all your stories! I T-boned an unlicenced, uninsured driver in a car he'd taken the keys for (so a stolen car too!) as he crossed a dual carriageway, so I was doing 70 in the 2nd lane at the time.

His path was blocked so he parked it in the middle! I had nowhere to go, braked hard and veered left, and took the back end off the other car while I spun off to the side somewhere. Thankfully neither of us were injured due to my quick reaction. I could've easily hit him straight in the side at 50+ mph, and probably killed him or seriously injured him!

Six weeks later I finally got the use of a much-needed hire car, and a further 2 months later I got my pay out from the other car's real owner's insurance, but the hassle, the phone calls, the stress of it all!!! Those first six weeks I had to rely on other people, and the occasional use of a work's van.

Some people really play the system, some are just unlucky in who they are involved in an accident with, but the system does seem like a long-winded and often unnecessary experience.

There's an EPZ member (Anthony?) who seems to work in the insurance industry. He often gives advice on these types of topic.

Edit: 14 months after the crash, the scum I hit got a 150 fine... Two cars totalled, two lives very nearly changed forever, and I bet he never learnt a lesson from the experience!

Last Modified By Metalhead at 21 May 2010 - 12:41 PM
mcgannc
21 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Quote: Next my kid in car at roundabout. A bus cut him up by turning right from the left turn only lane. Neither vehicle touched. All parties agree below 5mph incident, note not crash. Woman on bus claimed for leg injury and tow others for whiplash (at 5mph) Settled at just below court claim level by ambulance chaser lawyers. Insurance company point out it costs more to investigate than pay. Result claim for crash that never happened.

Unfortunately, there doesn't have to be a collision for a claim to be made...just making someone else perform a manoevre they would not have had to do had it not been for your actions, means you can be held at fault (negligent) and therefore liable for damages!

mcgannc
21 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Bit of advice for anyone who is unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident...make sure you get witness details if there are any! There are so many situations where it won't be your fault but due to a lack of any independent witnessess, it will just be your word against someone elses...and as we know, not all folk out there are completely honest!

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Quote: Unfortunately, there doesn't have to be a collision for a claim to be made...just making someone else perform a manoevre they would not have had to do had it not been for your actions, means you can be held at fault (negligent) and therefore liable for damages!

Correct but here is the next rub. because he was a young driver the first thing they did was blame him 100% for incident and the insurance company complained because we had not reported incident. Well we did not know there was one, just a near miss. Next everyone agrees that the only way for the incident to happen was for the bus to not leave the roundabout at the first junction as the roundabout is laned and arrowed etc. So now we go to 50% blame. Explain to me again how when the only way for the accident to happen is for the bus to do the wrong move

Oh well

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 1:08 PM

Quote: It all seems so wrong

Its a total scam, To right it is the sole reason insurance costs have risen over the last 10 to 20 years.

I have heard of people having " Hire Cars " almost forced upon them, Despite protesting that there was no need, As they where a 3 car family.

Best one was a close friend who pulled up at a set of lights, His car was an aged Vauxhall Cavalier valued at around 500 tops.

He was run ito by a woman driving a new " Audi " at around 40 MPH, The Cavalier was totalled, The tail lights ended up where the rear passenger doors used to be....Sad

So whilst my pal was exchanging details with the driver of the Audi, A woman representitive from one of these companies that hire cars for insurance companies, Also supply legal representatives, Oh! And as luck would have it, Also have connections with the garage trade, Appeared from a car in the line that had pulled up behind the accident.

Anyhow my Pal was driving around in a brand new Ford for about 2 months, While everything was dealt with......Smile

The Joke was, His car was written off to the value of 300 quid ( to much I thought at the time LOL....Sad )

The insurance company for the Audi driver, Sent him a cheque for 300 quid, He went down to the car auctions and bought another bargain banger for 350, And was well chuffed as it was way better than his old Cavalier.....Result.....Smile

The Audi drivers insurance coughed up the repairs to the Audi 3000, The hire charges for my pals hire car, 1600, Another 1600 for the hire of a car for thier insured, The recovery and disposal of one sad Cavalier 150.......As well as undisclosed amounts to various solicitors handling the legal side of things.

All in all a total Joke.......Grin

What we need is some form of " Opt-In or Out " of these " Hire Car " deals, With some serious discount for those who do not want this facility.......!!!!

Like me for example, Who has a shed full of spare motors.......Wink

mcgannc
21 May 2010 - 1:29 PM

Quote: Unfortunately, there doesn't have to be a collision for a claim to be made...just making someone else perform a manoevre they would not have had to do had it not been for your actions, means you can be held at fault (negligent) and therefore liable for damages!

Correct but here is the next rub. because he was a young driver the first thing they did was blame him 100% for incident and the insurance company complained because we had not reported incident. Well we did not know there was one, just a near miss. Next everyone agrees that the only way for the incident to happen was for the bus to not leave the roundabout at the first junction as the roundabout is laned and arrowed etc. So now we go to 50% blame. Explain to me again how when the only way for the accident to happen is for the bus to do the wrong move

Oh well

Totally agree how frustrating it is, goes back to my point about witnesses but then if you were unaware what had happened...what are you meant to do! Oh, and bus companies tend to handle their own claims...so they're 'dab-hands' at playing the system!

With regards to the hire cars, unfortunately it is the fault of the 'Credit Hire' firms who sprang up in years gone by and completely fleeced the insurance industry...rules were created to determine what is allowable to be claimed for following this but the neet result is that the insurance companies have been forced to join in the hire car practice in order to keep costs low (yes that's right, to keep costs down!) The law states that if you are not at fault, you are entitled to be kept mobile by use of a hire car to the equivalent size (or engine size) as your own vehicle, until the claim is resolved by either repairing your car of paying a settlement amount - the only duty on the individual claiming is to mitigate their costs i.e. not upgrade to a 3litre when you only drive a 1.1litre!

It all just plays into the hands of the money makers in the industry, and the insurers are forced to raise their premiums in order to compensate. It's injury that is really crippling the industry at the minute (pardon the pun Wink )

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Bit of advice for anyone who is unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident...make sure you get witness details if there are any!

My crash happened at a busy junction onto a dual carriageway. There were at least 3 cars behind the one that pulled out that I hit. Did the other cars stop to help?? Nope, they squeazed their way through the wreckage and drove on their merry way! Thank you very much, society!

Maybe one of them saw me clambering out of the passenger side as the driver's door was wedged shut after the impact...

Sadly, I've just been out that way this dinner and there's been another serious accident at the same spot. Road closed, lots of flashing lights...

mcgannc
21 May 2010 - 2:19 PM

Pretty sad reflection on the world we live in really that people will just happily walk on by (or drive in your case but you know what I mean!).

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 2:42 PM

Pete...have you tried a challenge on your loss of no claims?...if they refuse again you can go to the Ombudsman, I believe...worth giving the some grief!!!

mcgannc
21 May 2010 - 3:02 PM

I would imagine they are taking the stance that they will refund it once they've recovered their own costs...which they are entitled to do, it's just normally good practice in clear cut cases to get a quick admission from the other party's insurers and then allow it.

You can only really go the ombudsman if you have logged a complaint and it has not been dealt with to your satisfaction.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.