Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cards for 5D III

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 3:37PM
Never had to think about this before as previous cameras had only one card slot, but my newly acquired 5D III has space for both a CF and an SD.
I have two 16gb Sandiscs, class 10, and always have both with me when out and about.
Should I buy an SD card in addition, and if so, why? What are the benefits of going around with both in the camera?

Malc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Oct 2012 4:18PM
I am sure people will correct me if I am wrong.
But SD card is normally slower than CF card.
So, it will affect your write speed if it is set to record to both CF and Sd card together.
20 Oct 2012 4:22PM
Depends what's in your menus. My camera either writes identical jpeg's to both cards, or jpeg to card A and Raw to card B, or card B is overflow to card A. Admittedly both cards are SD. I assume there are various speeds of CF card?

RTFM SmileSmile
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 4:40PM

Quote:Depends what's in your menus. My camera either writes identical jpeg's to both cards, or jpeg to card A and Raw to card B, or card B is overflow to card A. Admittedly both cards are SD. I assume there are various speeds of CF card?

RTFM SmileSmile

Well, as both yours are SD's then that's not much help, especially as you don't appear to know about the different speeds available, but, yes, CF's are available in a variety of speeds, hence me mentioning class 10's....and the f***ing manual only tells that you can use both, nothing about the pros and cons, and the why or why not.Grin

@Coleslaw...thanks for the info that SD's are slower, Can see the point of having an SD as an in-camera back-up in case of a card failure, but just wonder how likely that is? Can think that RAW on CF and jpeg on SD is the best combo?

Malc
20 Oct 2012 4:50PM
Well, as both yours are SD's then that's not much help, especially as you don't appear to know about the different speeds available, but, yes, CF's are available in a variety of speeds, hence me mentioning class 10's....and the f***ing manual only tells that you can use both, nothing about the pros and cons, and the why or why not.Grin

Keep your trousers on! Yes my D7000 uses two SD cards but my D100 uses a CF card so I am very aware they come in different speeds. I suggest again that you look in your menus, to see what options you have. There must be some way to control the input to each slot, When someone tries to help you, it is often best to remain polite!!
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 4:55PM

Quote:Well, as both yours are SD's then that's not much help, especially as you don't appear to know about the different speeds available, but, yes, CF's are available in a variety of speeds, hence me mentioning class 10's....and the f***ing manual only tells that you can use both, nothing about the pros and cons, and the why or why not.Grin

Keep your trousers on! Yes my D7000 uses two SD cards but my D100 uses a CF card so I am very aware they come in different speeds. I suggest again that you look in your menus, to see what options you have. There must be some way to control the input to each slot, When someone tries to help you, it is often best to remain polite!!

Make your mind up...in your first reply you said you assumed there were different speeds, now you state you are fully aware that there are. As I asked about the CF / SD combo and you reply was about SD / SD combo then it wasn't a great deal of help.
As stated, I know I can read the manual / look in the menus, but that doesnm't tell me why I should or shouldn't consider buying an extra card.
Read my OP again.

Malc
20 Oct 2012 4:59PM
A saying involving horse and water come to mind! Unless you know what options are available, how do you know if you want it or not!
The assumption was a rhetorical question to Coleslaw. Please don't bother to reply since I am now hiding both you and this thread
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 5:38PM

Quote:A saying involving horse and water come to mind! Unless you know what options are available, how do you know if you want it or not!
The assumption was a rhetorical question to Coleslaw. Please don't bother to reply since I am now hiding both you and this thread

You need to learn to read what the question is before answering, but you won't read this as you have hidden me.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Oct 2012 5:45PM
did something just happen? I am confused! LOL
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 6:04PM
'Lo again Cole.
Eh, yes, something happenedGrin...I know what I can do combination-wise with cards, what I don't know is why I should choose to do the one or the other...the manual doesn't tell you why, only what...the answer I am after is the why.

So, is it worth putting an SD card in as a back up in case of an in-camera failure of the CF? Apart from that eventuality happening, I can't see the advantages of having two cards. I don't need jpeg images in addition to the raw's I always shoot.

Malc
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
20 Oct 2012 6:17PM
get a life you will not know or need to worry about the write speed . i always use my raw images but always backup my other card to jpg. but that's the joy of using 1d cameras Wink
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2012 6:18PM

Quote:Can see the point of having an SD as an in-camera back-up in case of a card failure, but just wonder how likely that is? Can think that RAW on CF and jpeg on SD is the best combo?

I'd go with RAW to CF and JPEG to SD if shooting fast. If not then shoot RAW to both.

A faulty card can fail electrically anytime it's being written to. A card failure is more likely to occur in camera than when in your computer so it's worth doing.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 6:26PM

Quote:Can see the point of having an SD as an in-camera back-up in case of a card failure, but just wonder how likely that is? Can think that RAW on CF and jpeg on SD is the best combo?

I'd go with RAW to CF and JPEG to SD if shooting fast. If not then shoot RAW to both.

A faulty card can fail electrically anytime it's being written to. A card failure is more likely to occur in camera than when in your computer so it's worth doing.

Many thanks Chris...that's the sort of information I was after. Now I know what the usefullness is of having the two cards.

Malc
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 6:26PM

Quote:Get a life .../...

Thanks for that.

Malc
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
20 Oct 2012 6:32PM
If it's of any help I have a Nikon D300S which also has 2 card slots. I am not interested in using the secondary one for JPEGs so my choice was between back-up or overflow. I felt that the risk of card failure was less than the need for extra capacity so I chose overflow. My primary slot is CF with SD as the overflow location. It works for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.