Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Cards for 5D III

colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
20 Oct 2012 6:39PM
why do you think you need to worry about your images ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Oct 2012 6:40PM

Quote:If it's of any help I have a Nikon D300S which also has 2 card slots. I am not interested in using the secondary one for JPEGs so my choice was between back-up or overflow. I felt that the risk of card failure was less than the need for extra capacity so I chose overflow. My primary slot is CF with SD as the overflow location. It works for me.

Thanks for that input, Ewan. I feel that back-up would be of more interest for my circumstances rather than overflow, as I always have 2 x 16GB CF's with me at all times...good tip though, and one to keep in mind should I need that option.

Malc
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
20 Oct 2012 7:00PM
Erm...I believe an apology to newdevonian is in order Malc

I can see every sense in his advise and because it was on a higher level than you were capable of understanding there was no need to be rude and ignorantTongue

SD cards are now capable of write speeds the same as CF so it would be a minor inconvenience to do a little research as to the right for your needs.....assuming you know what they are...which you clearly dont.Tongue

My top tip for you is read the manual....assuming you can read of course....if you cant then ive just wasted a few seconds typing thisTongueWink
20 Oct 2012 11:21PM
Backup in case of a card failure obviouslySmile or you can set the camera up to write to the SD card after the CF card is full. But it all depends on what you shoot perhaps, you should read this dual cards I haven't got a 5Dmk3 yet but I use both SD and CF in a EOS 1Ds mk3. It appears Canon didn't use the latest spec for the SD slot and it also appears to slow the write speed to both cards to the slowest write speed (if your writing to both cards at the same time) to that of the SD card slot, irrespective of the read speed of the card. I hope I got all this round the 'write' wayWink The figure quoted is 133x, hope this helps.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.