Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Carlisle and Lake District

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    clive burrow
    clive burrow e2 Member 1071 forum postsclive burrow vcard United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 7:13 AM

In a couple of weeks time I need to go up to Carlisle on business for a couple of days. If I can arrange my meetings how I want them I should have one sunset and one sunrise free to get out with the camera, I was thinking about heading into the northern Lake District.
    Can anybody help with any suggestions of places they would recommend I try and visit while I'm in the area overnight.
    Many thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Feb 2013 - 7:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2013 - 7:31 AM

If you've not done much photography in the Lake District you might like to do a morning trip of some of the 'classics' around Keswick:

1. Go to Castlerigg stone circle just before dawn, shoot the stone circle as the light comes up.
    2. After the first light, leave Castlerigg and head to Keswick. Park in the car park near the theatre and shoot the boats on Derwentwater
    3. Next (should be about 08.30 now!) head down the east bank of Derwentwater down Borrowdale. Visit Ashness Bridge.
    4. Having finished at Ashness Bridge, head south over Honister Pass continuing to Buttermere. Photograph the classic trees on Buttermere (best light here is relatively late in the morning - maybe 09.30 to 10.00 - as the surrounding hills are very steep)

Hope you have a good trip.

Steve

CathyI
    CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2013 - 12:02 PM

A great plan there from Steve - I would second that list. On your way back from Buttermere, a detour to Newlands could be good if you have time, and the western shore of Derwentwater for views over to the eastern shore with Blencathra in the background... The jetty at Brandlehow is a good viewpoint there.

Enjoy! Smile

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7533 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 4:30 PM

Aira Force, beside Ullswater, is another suggestion.

StevieRan
    StevieRan e2 Member 247 forum postsStevieRan vcard England
    18 Feb 2013 - 5:05 PM

Hi Clive,
    as you are up at Carlisle head back down towards Penrith and around that area you have some great secluded places:

Why not try Haweswater some great views even better if you want to do a bit of walking, or there is the small village of Askham - very quaint
    and there is the Eastern side of Ulswater and of course the Lakes most photographed boathouse near Pooley Bridge, continue along the road and as stated previous by seahawk you have the waterfall Aira Force, continue and you will get some great shots of Ullswater.

Wherever you go even if the weather is pants you will still find some great photo opportunities Wink

clive burrow
    clive burrow e2 Member 1071 forum postsclive burrow vcard United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 6:06 PM

Many thanks for the suggestions guys, I wish I was going to be up there a bit longer...
    Clive

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.