Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Carry a camera!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Andy_Cundell
12 Feb 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hiya All

This morning I was gutted, AGAIN!

Why? Well, I ride a 16 mile commute on my bike to work. I take the car maybe once a week and when I do, I pack my camera, but on my bicycle, it's a bit too heavy and I dont really want to put all that lovely expensive camera equipment in a rucksack when I'm peddling like mad in sometimes heavy traffic. I think you can guess what I am going to say. Every time I'm on my bike, I see great things that I should be taking photos of, when I'm in the car, nothing happens!

Every now and again it gets very foggy in Plymouth Sound. The sight of the Torpoint Ferry coming out of the fog would make a great photo IMO, but when I have my camera, it's never foggy!

When we have a cold morning and clear sky, the sight from the Torpoint side of the Sound/ Tamar looking over Plymouth before the sunrise is a spectacular sight, especially if there are ships alongside, the reds before the sun pops outs are amazing. When I have my camera, its cloudy or warm so the sky is normal! Out of 3 days once, I drove in the middle day when it didnt happen!

I have cycled the same route a number of years now, but this morning whilst riding down a flyover, the effect the fog was having made the street lights look like a prowling spider, it was really unusual because the fog was just right and guess what, I didn't have my camera because I was on my bike!

I really need to get a small compact camera to 'throw' in my bag! I do have a Sony Cybershot T3 that was a very good camera, I say 'was' because the CCD is now faulty and I need to get it fixed!

Does this always happen to you? Great scene, no camera!

Andy C

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2011 - 12:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3656 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 12:50 PM

Exactly the reason I bought a compact a couple of months ago, I got so tired of missed opportunites and now always carry the compact.

miptog
miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 1:04 PM

Its a catch-22 in my experience. Whilst you can capture the shot, there are still many times when I am just not happy with the end result, as the quality is not the same as the dSLR, or the limitations of the compact (for example poor FPS) don't allow me to capture. Having said that, there are still numerous occasions when it has been useful to have with me.

Andy_Cundell
12 Feb 2011 - 1:09 PM

I know what you mean miptoq!

One of the reasons I got a DSLR was my compact broke! It was a great bartering point with my wife when I wanted a DSLR "But Love, we don't have a camera anymore!". If I get it fixed, my life will be hell!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 2:06 PM

There are two essentials I always carry when I leave home: my front door keys.......... and my Panasonic TZ10 compact! The rest is optional! Wink

With the FF equivalent of a 25-300mm zoom it means I am always ready for anything. The fact it does HD video as well is also (for me) important.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 3:32 PM

That's the second time I've looked at the title of this thread and seen "Carry a Camel"! I'm not sure whether to be worried about my eyes of my mind Tongue

I do however totally agree with the sentiment, my cameras whinge if I don't take them out of the cupboard when I'm going out Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 4:46 PM

Quote: There are two essentials I always carry when I leave home: my front door keys.......... and my Panasonic TZ10 compact! The rest is optional! Wink

Exactly the same for me except it's a TZ7. The missed opportunity problem arose so many times that I got a compact and promised myself I'd never leave home without it.

kaybee
kaybee  103884 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2011 - 5:23 PM

I always carry a camera and found that the DSLR was just a bit awkward and heavy at times ..... so i now have a Lumix GF1 that comes everywhere (I was lucky in that I had a wee bit of money to spend) but I would have bought a good compact if I wasn't able to afford that.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2011 - 9:39 AM

I'm carrying an infra red converted camera today - not that it's quite IR season in the park but getting there Smile

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2011 - 8:30 PM

i always have my phone with me.... and i have got a couple of images with it that were the 'i need to take a shot of that' kind.

DSLR to big etc to 'just carrys around', but my phone i am never without. I know the images are not anywhere near the DSLR standard.... but sometimes its just handy.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2011 - 8:40 PM

I have gotten used to the damn wieght around my shoulder Wink never leave without my DSLR...

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
5 Mar 2011 - 6:53 AM

I always have a camera with me, but use two differing models. The majority of the time it,s a Samsung NX10 with the superb 30mm f2.0 that slips into my pocket, if I have to be really lightweight, it's a Ricoh GX100 that gets slipped in the pocket.

Sometimes I even give the DP1 or 2 a day out (very rare since the arrival of the sammy though).

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2011 - 7:09 AM

I never leave home without my Canon G11, now my camera of choice.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3805 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2011 - 8:22 AM

My wonderful/amazing Panasonic DMC-ZS7 goes everywhere with me..........I did consider an i-Phone......but a Windows 6-3 phone ...PLUS the Panasonic was cheaper...............and the results all round are much better:

The Panasonic DMC-ZS7 is one of the best compacts ....fantastic lens and performance:

hobbo

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2011 - 5:30 PM

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 is my carry anywhere camera a super-zoom camera featuring a wide-angle 24x zoom lens and 14 megapixel CCD image sensor. perfect for those unexpected moments I also have a ricoh CX1 which I class as my pocket camera. Neither will replace my Canon 50D but are great for the occasion when you don't want to be carrying lots of gear. I do have a iphone but I don't rate it as a camera.

Brian...............................................

Last Modified By Briwooly at 5 Mar 2011 - 5:36 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.