Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Carry on luggage back pack

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
27 Oct 2009 - 9:04 PM

Any suggestions for a back pack just within the limits that does not way a lot?
I am flying KLM Amsterdam to Arusha. Hold luggage is not an issue - with 2 x 23 kg allowance.
Hand luggage (excluding photo vest items) is limited to 12 KG.
My decades old Lowe Pro Photo Trekker is within size limits - but worn out.
A straight replacement weighs 3 KG - a quarter of the allowance.
Has anybody found anything good and big enough to take a Nikon 200-400, 70-200 and bodies as a minimum - but weighs less than 3 KG?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Oct 2009 - 9:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MattGrayson
27 Oct 2009 - 9:19 PM

I thought Sid james and the gang were reforming... Wink

Try this:

Kata PR 460
Designed to fit the luggage spec, 1.5kg, can take up tp 300mm lenses.

scottishphototours

Have a look at Think Tank bags, now available in UK.

Seem to get good reviews - and it's a backpack, unlike the Kata...

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2009 - 9:53 PM

Think Tank specifically designed to be carry on and have the benefit that they do not scream camera gear to all around!

Had the original Think Tank Airport Acceleration and the new model has only improved on a very good product. Unlike other manufacturers the bag comes with lots of spare inserts so that you can tailor the bag to your needs.

Highly recommended.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2009 - 10:01 PM

David Clapp mentioned three options for hand luggage in this article.The Pelican Case 1510, ThinkTank Airport Acceleration, and Lowepro MiniTrekker.

LenShepherd
28 Oct 2009 - 8:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming.
I had not thought of Think Tank for a back pack - the Airport Acceloration 2 looks good - the wheeled Think Tank Airport International is heavy.
I take the point the Think Tank looks like most other carry on bags - and it seems about 20% cheaper than the Lowepro photo trekker.
With 46 kg hold luggage allowance I can probably also take my Lowe Pro Trekker AW (too big for carry on) for better protection in the safari vehicles, and less essential gear in the hold.
Now for the next challenge - where can I handle Think Tank within 60 mile radius of Leyburn in North Yorks?
There seems to be no-where in Leeds, Jacobs in Newcastle might be a possibility, and Calumet Manchester is a 2 hour drive.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 9:35 AM

Anybody remember the good old days when all flights had the same baggage rules?
It's a bloody nightmare these days, I often end up reconfiguring my luggage in the check-in queue

Stockczech
28 Oct 2009 - 10:18 AM

In my experience a roll-on is always better than a backpack - simply because it doesn't shout 'photo gear' and is therefore far less likely to be questioned.

I have often had shoulder bags and backpacks weighed - but never once had a roll-on questioned.

Sheila

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 10:37 AM

I've had the opposite experience, where my Rover AW with rather bulging side pockets didn't get a second look, but every wheeled bag got checked (and a large number failed size limits)

yellowduke
28 Oct 2009 - 12:21 PM

Roller bags tend to be quite rigid so aren't as easy to squeeze into spaces in overhead lockers, hence i believe that they are more likely to be checked. Your typical daysack is much more maleable unless stuffed to the gills. Remember a jacket with big pockets isn't hand luggage!

JamesBurns
28 Oct 2009 - 12:28 PM

Quote: Jacobs in Newcastle might be a possibility.

Phone them first... They're a great shop, but carry limited stock at times.

LenShepherd
28 Oct 2009 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Anybody remember the good old days when all flights had the same baggage rules?

Flying KLM to Tanzania even the hold luggage allowance is different - 23 KG per case rather than 27 KG - but 2 cases allowed - total 46 KG rather than 27 KG.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 10:14 PM

Not sure when you can see Think Tank stuff I bought mine on recommendation of a frequent photo traveller and have not been disappointed.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2009 - 11:41 PM

The Jacob's website has a new Leeds store, and Think tank products on the website. Still a case of phoning to check its in stock first.

82, Albion Street
Leeds
LS1 6AD
Tel 0113 2451451
Fax N/A
leeds@jacobs-photo.co.uk

Our New Store is now open for business. Come and see us and check out all the latest equipment.

Opening Hours:
8:45am to 5:45pm - Mon to Sat

Stockczech
29 Oct 2009 - 2:32 PM

The secret is to have a small roller bag. I've got the Lowepro Mini roller, which holds a surprising amount of stuff, but looks pretty small compared to many rollers.

Sheila

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.