Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Carrying Heavy Equipment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

suejoh
suejoh e2 Member 10234 forum postssuejoh vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 - 3:59 PM

I have just bought a very heavy lens and a lovely tripod with a gimbal head.
They are absolutely amazing together. I love them.
However - it is a nightmare transporting them any distance and I just wondered what techniques or gear people had to cope with this.
Particularly any women out there.

I did go on a bird walk where someone (male) slung his 600mm lens over his shoulder on its tripod and walked all morning.
I did try the tripod over the shoulder with the lens thing myself - but it was very very uncomfortable. I think my shoulders are not wide enough and it really hurt my neck Sad

I currently put the camera and lens in a rucksack (not a photo rucksack) and carry the tripod.
The rucksack part is heavy but it fastens correctly around my waist and so it is all right.
The tripod though is cumbersome just to carry.

There has to be a better way.
Sue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2013 - 3:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 4:18 PM

The best way to carry a tripod in conjunction with a rucksack is either vertically in the middle, not to one side, or horizontally underneath. I have used the horizontal method, using two straps of velcro I stitched to the bottom of the rucksack. Worked well.
The important thing is to have the rucksack straps properly adjusted so that you are carrying it properly - not too high nor too low.

Malc

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 4:20 PM

Depending on the tripod you should be able to get a strap for it. My camera rucksack has attachments for a tripod but it is always awkward. No easy solution unfortunately.

suejoh
suejoh e2 Member 10234 forum postssuejoh vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 - 4:41 PM

The horizontal method sounds good.
I thought of attaching to the rucksack but only thought vertical and the tripod head is really large and would get in the way.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 4:42 PM

Being disabled I have similar problems (walking wounded with spinal injuries) I've played around with some strange arrangements for transporting my kit over the years. I did play around with going over to a lightweight camera system but as a wildlife/macro tog I still prefer my Canon gear. I have 4 different macro lenses just for a start, add to this a plethora of different other tele-lenses, a couple of bodies and all the kit I like to take on a jollie and it does get somewhat ridiculous, what's more I hate leaving anything behind because sure as eggs are eggs you can guarantee if I do, I'll end up wanting it.

My first solution was a fishing trolley similar to THIS. I screwed a large recycling box to this and I just chuck my rucksack, tripods and various other bits and bob into the box and off I saunter Sad Great for rough ground, but a little bit heavy for tugging around all day, although having said this, it still saves the spine......I've had some comical comments in the past when folk have seen it, but inevitably I've always had the last laugh at the end of the day when everybody have been crippled by their carrying their rucksacks. Whether you add a box to it not is up to you, I've used it without just securing my rucksack with a couple of bungee ropes, but found this to be a bit of a hassle as you had to untie the things everytime you wanted something out the bag.

The above solution is a bit heavy duty, but it works well, but if I know I'm going out and am just going to be using paths etc I take this camping trolley available from Argos instead, cheap as chips and very lightweight, plus once folded flat takes up very little room in the car. I can secure a my large rucksack which contains two bodies and 5-6 lenses to it plus a tripod easily using the bungee ropes provided. Brilliant for the money and providing you don't mind pulling it around all day and keep to metalled paths or firm ground works really well.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 5:26 PM

Quote: ......I've had some comical comments in the past when folk have seen it, but inevitably I've always had the last laugh at the end of the day when everybody have been crippled by their carrying their rucksacks

I've admired that box on wheels of yours Ade ever since I first saw it at Marwell Zoo all those years ago Grin

Ade_Osman
26 Aug 2013 - 5:29 PM

Quote: I've admired that box on wheels of yours Ade ever since I first saw it at Marwell Zoo all those years ago

Well it's still going strong Bri, unlike the owner Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 5:33 PM

Listen Our Kid, if you wake up and can get out of bed in the morning you are doing OK (leastwise - that's what I tell myself these days, ain't it a bugger getting decrepit Wink )

Ade_Osman
26 Aug 2013 - 5:38 PM

Quote: Listen Our Kid, if you wake up and can get out of bed in the morning you are doing OK (leastwise - that's what I tell myself these days, ain't it a bugger getting decrepit

I tell myself this every morning Bri, my trouble is because of all the problems I have I getting old before my time......Ho-hum, at least I'm still here and not admitting defeat just yet Tongue

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 5:57 PM

It depends. Do you want the equipment to be easy to hand for a shot, or do you want to transport for fairly long distances between shots.

If the former then really the only way is the tripod over shoulder. It is all a out getting the balance right. The legs don't necessarily need to be out to standing height. You'll find a sweet spot where the balance of lens to holding tripod and walking is best, but it takes some trial and error and varies by lens (if weight is significantly different).

If you want to move between sites, then any of the carrying methods already mentioned work well.

Of course the best answer of all would be a Sherpa Wink

Cheryl

Last Modified By csurry at 26 Aug 2013 - 5:58 PM
GarethRobinson
26 Aug 2013 - 6:08 PM

Foam leg wraps will help make it comfortable for over the shoulder trips.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 6:09 PM

Hi Cheryl, you're a stranger. Grin I met a woman last year at the zoo who was still using film cameras, and she had a ton of equipment, dragged along in a trolly by her mother, who was at least in her seventies. I thought it was quite a good arrangement.Tongue

GarethRobinson
26 Aug 2013 - 6:11 PM

Pensioners equal rights and all that...

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 6:19 PM

Good point Gareth and why not currently using replacement tripod. Thanks for reminder. Knew I wanted wex website for something!

I was thinking a strapping 'young' man as Sherpa Wink

Last Modified By csurry at 26 Aug 2013 - 6:20 PM
Ade_Osman
26 Aug 2013 - 6:20 PM

Quote: I was thinking a strapping 'young' man as Sherpa

You should be so lucky Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.