Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Carrying Heavy Equipment

NeilS e2
7 940 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 6:34PM
Another possible solution

A golf trolley is quite useful/essential for me, not just any golf trolley but a folding one with three wheels, which means that the weight is always on the trolley and not on you

I use a peli case and strap that onto a powakaddy twinline push trolley, works a treat and I only need to undo one bungee and the lid to start shooting, a friend uses a lowepro lens trekker on his

They will also take a chair, lunch, gimbal, and tripod if required

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Aug 2013 6:43PM
Take Sherpa Ade he is free to a good home.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
26 Aug 2013 6:45PM
Cheryl said
Quote: a strapping 'young' man
oh how I wish! Tongue
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 7:49PM
Hmm - Ade, you have given me an idea for the Bournemouth Air Festival.

I usually end up carrying my chair and my wife's (what a gent Wink ) + bag and pod a couple of miles.

Now, I just happen to have my old fishing trolley in the garage and I'm pretty sure that I have my seat-box as well.

Find a couple of bungees and I could emulate my dear old mate - WotisName Grin
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Aug 2013 9:06PM

Quote:Find a couple of bungees and I could emulate my dear old mate - WotisName

Sounds fun Smile Smile
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 9:54AM
Reading this and being no youngster, I am so glad I made the change to MFT after a lifetime with Nikon, Hasselblad and DSLRs. The bag I am holding - with my little finger - contains a Panasonic GH3 with battery grip to give me with around 1200-1500 shots without recharging, and zoom lenses from 7-300 (14-600 equivalent).

I changed over simply because I like to cycle around London and the Languedoc countryside (hilly!) and I found the weight and bulk of the DSLR gear was inhibiting my enjoyment of my now amateur photography. Quality wise, I never make prints over 12x8in and my biggest monitor is only 1920px across, so a smaller sensor is of no consequence to me and I regularly use higher ISOs with no viewable degradation of quality.

It's not for everyone but has certainly solved some problems and renewed my enjoyment of my work. And not one IQ rejection from Alamy since I changed over! Not cheap, though with the 12-100 f2.8 zooms and all.

bag.jpg

bag2.jpg

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 10:10AM
Strong little finger lemmy! Grin

I equally pleased to have made the change from my canon gear to the EM-5, for the same weight saving reason.

Its all the "add-on" I sometimes end up carrying, not the camera gear, that gets me now
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 10:23AM
My Canon gear is getting less and less use since I bough MFT - the only ones I use regularly now are the 7D with 100-400 for birds because of the better tracking AF. There are some little operational niggles with MFT that I need to get used to before I take the plunge and sell my lenses, but going to Thailand in Oct I have taken the (for me, brave) decision to leave all Canon gear at home and go full MFT. Then we will see....

But as for Suejoh's OP, I would ask is a tripod necessary? How about a monopod?
Contrary to Malc's comment, I find putting a tripod on the back of a rucsack it is more prone to swaying about as I walk over rough terrain and prefer to fasten it to the side. I have thought about underneath but it does not collapse very short and would probably end up crippling someone! Like Sue, I prefer a proper walking rucsack to a photo rucksack when walking significant distances with my gear and the sidestraps used to mount additional pockets are good for holding things like a tripod. One reason I prefer my Velbon UltrRexiL to my Manfrotto 190XproB when walking is that the Velbon collapses to less than 2/3 the length of the Manfrotto and this means it is far more stable.
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 12:26PM

Quote:One reason I prefer my Velbon UltrRexiL to my Manfrotto 190XproB when walking is that the Velbon collapses to less than 2/3 the length of the Manfrotto and this means it is far more stable.

It's one of the most difficult bits of equipment to choose, the tripod, isn't it? What you want is something with 6 skinny legs sections for compactness made in the lightest material available - oh yes, and with rock like solidity and brick like stability. In other words, squaring a circle.

I've never really found an ideal compromise and err on the side of too heavy because too light negates the reason for using a 'pod at all.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2013 12:34AM
These are supposed to be really good, I would not mind one myself, when you fold it up the legs swing all the way up Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2U9ZH2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39LSTY4A9J2UG
riddell e2
10 59 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 11:58AM
You need to build your strength up!

As a pro photographer, I carry that and a lot more! I'll often have a tripod on my shoulder plus a couple of bags of equipment. I may have an assitant carrying another couple of bags. Sometimes I have about 60kgs of equipment. Whenever I feel bad about that or am suffering a bit with the weight I just think thats about the same as a solider would carry and they walk a lot further than me in much harsher conditions. Therefore I can't complain.

Quality straps and bags are important and dress comfortably.

Paul.
[link removed by ePz]
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
28 Aug 2013 12:45PM
Is that all you're carrying?

This is what real photographers carry... Wink

lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 2:26PM

Quote:You need to build your strength up!

I don't see anything particularly praiseworthy in carrying equipment heavier than it needs to be to do what you want. It's not like photography is a competition to see who has the best, heaviest, most expensive boy toys......oh, er, hmmn.

Seriously, ridell, if you believe people should build their strength up, shouldn't you follow your own advice and sell up all those DSLRs and buy 10x8 cameras and replace those portable studio lights with arc lamps? Wink
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
28 Aug 2013 2:43PM
60kgs? blimey - I 'only' weigh about 55kgs!
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 3:13PM
I meant to add, the usual weight for a squaddie fully loaded on the road is about 65lbs or 30kg. Ridell's 60kg is 132lbs or 1cwt plus 20lbs more.

Actually, such a weight is not carryable for any distance by a normal person and even a soldier going into action loaded with ammunition does not carry 60kg.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.