Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Carrying Heavy Equipment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7828 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
26 Aug 2013 - 6:34 PM

Another possible solution

A golf trolley is quite useful/essential for me, not just any golf trolley but a folding one with three wheels, which means that the weight is always on the trolley and not on you

I use a peli case and strap that onto a powakaddy twinline push trolley, works a treat and I only need to undo one bungee and the lid to start shooting, a friend uses a lowepro lens trekker on his

They will also take a chair, lunch, gimbal, and tripod if required

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Aug 2013 - 6:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 6:43 PM

Take Sherpa Ade he is free to a good home.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 26 Aug 2013 - 6:45 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 6:45 PM

Cheryl said
Quote: a strapping 'young' man

oh how I wish! Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110171 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 7:49 PM

Hmm - Ade, you have given me an idea for the Bournemouth Air Festival.

I usually end up carrying my chair and my wife's (what a gent Wink ) + bag and pod a couple of miles.

Now, I just happen to have my old fishing trolley in the garage and I'm pretty sure that I have my seat-box as well.

Find a couple of bungees and I could emulate my dear old mate - WotisName Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314931 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2013 - 9:06 PM

Quote: Find a couple of bungees and I could emulate my dear old mate - WotisName

Sounds fun Smile Smile

lemmy
lemmy  71769 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 - 9:54 AM

Reading this and being no youngster, I am so glad I made the change to MFT after a lifetime with Nikon, Hasselblad and DSLRs. The bag I am holding - with my little finger - contains a Panasonic GH3 with battery grip to give me with around 1200-1500 shots without recharging, and zoom lenses from 7-300 (14-600 equivalent).

I changed over simply because I like to cycle around London and the Languedoc countryside (hilly!) and I found the weight and bulk of the DSLR gear was inhibiting my enjoyment of my now amateur photography. Quality wise, I never make prints over 12x8in and my biggest monitor is only 1920px across, so a smaller sensor is of no consequence to me and I regularly use higher ISOs with no viewable degradation of quality.

It's not for everyone but has certainly solved some problems and renewed my enjoyment of my work. And not one IQ rejection from Alamy since I changed over! Not cheap, though with the 12-100 f2.8 zooms and all.

bag.jpg

bag2.jpg

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110171 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 10:10 AM

Strong little finger lemmy! Grin

I equally pleased to have made the change from my canon gear to the EM-5, for the same weight saving reason.

Its all the "add-on" I sometimes end up carrying, not the camera gear, that gets me now

Last Modified By brian1208 at 27 Aug 2013 - 10:11 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2013 - 10:23 AM

My Canon gear is getting less and less use since I bough MFT - the only ones I use regularly now are the 7D with 100-400 for birds because of the better tracking AF. There are some little operational niggles with MFT that I need to get used to before I take the plunge and sell my lenses, but going to Thailand in Oct I have taken the (for me, brave) decision to leave all Canon gear at home and go full MFT. Then we will see....

But as for Suejoh's OP, I would ask is a tripod necessary? How about a monopod?
Contrary to Malc's comment, I find putting a tripod on the back of a rucsack it is more prone to swaying about as I walk over rough terrain and prefer to fasten it to the side. I have thought about underneath but it does not collapse very short and would probably end up crippling someone! Like Sue, I prefer a proper walking rucsack to a photo rucksack when walking significant distances with my gear and the sidestraps used to mount additional pockets are good for holding things like a tripod. One reason I prefer my Velbon UltrRexiL to my Manfrotto 190XproB when walking is that the Velbon collapses to less than 2/3 the length of the Manfrotto and this means it is far more stable.

lemmy
27 Aug 2013 - 12:26 PM

Quote: One reason I prefer my Velbon UltrRexiL to my Manfrotto 190XproB when walking is that the Velbon collapses to less than 2/3 the length of the Manfrotto and this means it is far more stable.

It's one of the most difficult bits of equipment to choose, the tripod, isn't it? What you want is something with 6 skinny legs sections for compactness made in the lightest material available - oh yes, and with rock like solidity and brick like stability. In other words, squaring a circle.

I've never really found an ideal compromise and err on the side of too heavy because too light negates the reason for using a 'pod at all.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314931 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 12:34 AM

These are supposed to be really good, I would not mind one myself, when you fold it up the legs swing all the way up Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A2U9ZH2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&...

riddell
riddell  958 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 - 11:58 AM

You need to build your strength up!

As a pro photographer, I carry that and a lot more! I'll often have a tripod on my shoulder plus a couple of bags of equipment. I may have an assitant carrying another couple of bags. Sometimes I have about 60kgs of equipment. Whenever I feel bad about that or am suffering a bit with the weight I just think thats about the same as a solider would carry and they walk a lot further than me in much harsher conditions. Therefore I can't complain.

Quality straps and bags are important and dress comfortably.

Paul.
[link removed by ePz]

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 28 Aug 2013 - 3:23 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 12:45 PM

Is that all you're carrying?

This is what real photographers carry... Wink

Last Modified By joolsb at 28 Aug 2013 - 12:46 PM
lemmy
28 Aug 2013 - 2:26 PM

Quote: You need to build your strength up!

I don't see anything particularly praiseworthy in carrying equipment heavier than it needs to be to do what you want. It's not like photography is a competition to see who has the best, heaviest, most expensive boy toys......oh, er, hmmn.

Seriously, ridell, if you believe people should build their strength up, shouldn't you follow your own advice and sell up all those DSLRs and buy 10x8 cameras and replace those portable studio lights with arc lamps? Wink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95990 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2013 - 2:43 PM

60kgs? blimey - I 'only' weigh about 55kgs!

lemmy
28 Aug 2013 - 3:13 PM

I meant to add, the usual weight for a squaddie fully loaded on the road is about 65lbs or 30kg. Ridell's 60kg is 132lbs or 1cwt plus 20lbs more.

Actually, such a weight is not carryable for any distance by a normal person and even a soldier going into action loaded with ammunition does not carry 60kg.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.