Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cartier-Bresson

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Jan 2007 - 4:27 PM

I find Cartier-Bresson's photography to be amazing.

One of the things I find that happens with digital is a comment will be made along the lines of 'amazingly sharpe image' or 'I find the image is a bit soft'.

Look at Cartier-Bresson's work and what you see is the incredible content and power of his images. For some it it a bonus if they are in focus as the content is so powerful.

I recently found this little collection of his work
ePHOTOzine

Why it says ephotozine I don't know but it should take you to the gallery.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Jan 2007 - 4:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2007 - 4:33 PM

I share the wonder at his work. I have one of his books and am currently working my way through a book I received for Christmas covering some of his thoughts and photo's.

He could start a war on her with some of his views Smile

Remember the camera is no more than your sketch book.

Firebaby
Firebaby  111204 forum posts Faroe Islands
12 Jan 2007 - 4:34 PM

I do.

Let's hope 'people' don't get over zealous eh?

SandyMiller
12 Jan 2007 - 4:37 PM

Wonderful stuff!

elowes
12 Jan 2007 - 4:40 PM

I think there is a world of difference between the work of Cartier-Bresson and anything I have seen produced on a digital camera and I am a digital fan.

What I can't get my head around is how powerful the images he, and other photographers of his generation, captured are. Is it just because they are from another generation?

Edit

I also like Mapplethorpe and he is my generation, bugger, where does that leave me?

dave thelens
12 Jan 2007 - 4:40 PM

I saw an exhibition of his work at the National Portrait Gallery a few years ago and was blown away !!!!!!

BBC2 then did a documentary on him where he was interviewed by this young girl who was overawed by his presence, she asked him .. "If people say you're the greatest living photographer, what would you say?" .... he thought for a moment and said the imortal line ...

"Le bullsheeeeet"

Dave

elowes
12 Jan 2007 - 4:43 PM

Ah, the humility of genius, even that puts us to shameSmile

Of course the accent would help!

JohnHorne
JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
12 Jan 2007 - 4:54 PM

I must be the only person in the world who finds that Cartier-Bresson's work leaves me cold. Apart from his Srinagar, Kashmir, 1948, which has an epic, film-like quality to it, the rest arouses supreme indifference.

I know he is supposed to be one of the great photographers of the 20th century but, to me, many of his images look like careless snapshots.

John

Pigeons, meet cat ...

dave thelens
12 Jan 2007 - 4:59 PM

Careless .... Careless ...CARELESS

Jesus, you should wash your mouth out with soap and water.

His methods were to virtually ingore the technical side, a black painted Leca so it couldn't be seen, guessed at exposure, used hyperfocal depth of field, and watched elements within his field of view to develop ... then took the shot without almost anyone knowing ...

Careless ............ phew

Dave

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2007 - 5:01 PM

Some of his stuff is good, some of it leaves me cold.

No doubt he had an eye for a shot, but sometimes he forgot to take that eye with him.

Well, that's what I think, lol.

Perdiccas
Perdiccas  890 forum posts Holy See (Vatican City State)
12 Jan 2007 - 5:03 PM

Quote: No doubt he had an eye for a shot, but sometimes he forgot to take that eye with him.

He's not the only one is he... Wink

rodp
rodp  91183 forum posts England
12 Jan 2007 - 5:07 PM

He was obviously very good at creating the image he wanted people to see of him!

Rod

dave thelens
12 Jan 2007 - 5:08 PM

He never created an image .... he captured them

Dave

JohnHorne
JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
12 Jan 2007 - 5:14 PM

If some of his images could be posted on ePz anonymously and without being recognised as his, I bet they would be largely ignored.

John

... and cat, meet pigeons.

rodp
rodp  91183 forum posts England
12 Jan 2007 - 5:16 PM

I'm sorry but he does nothing for me. Personally I think there are folk on here who take a better image. As for waiting for the right moment, we'll never know because we weren't there. As I said, he was very good at projecting the image of himself that he wanted others to see.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.