Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cash is no longer legal tender

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
28 Jul 2009 - 7:51 PM

I was in our local Vodafone shop at the weekend with my wife with the intention of buying a mobile phone for her. She picked the one she wanted and handed 100 to the sales person, only to be told that we could not use cash to purchase this particular phone, only a credit or debit card. I was dumbfounded.
We were given some garbage about them having to track who they sold the phone to and the only way to do this was to use a card to make the purchase.

We walked out empty handed and went to purchase the same phone at the same price at Argos. CASH !

In these tough times I'd have thought any business would want a sale using any legal tender, obviously not.

I noticed later that the Orange shop 100yds up the road was now boarded up.

Maybe there's a lesson there somewhere....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2009 - 7:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 8:09 PM

Over here you can't buy any mobile phone anymore without using your bank account for the transaction, or a credit card - unless the company already has your data. Which sounds very similar to what they said at Vodaphone...

Last Modified By conrad at 28 Jul 2009 - 8:09 PM
Paul65
28 Jul 2009 - 8:24 PM

Quote: Over here you can't buy any mobile phone anymore without using your bank account for the transaction, or a credit card - unless the company already has your data. Which sounds very similar to what they said at Vodaphone...

But Argos let me buy with cash...they don't have any details about me.....?

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
28 Jul 2009 - 8:24 PM

I was told by my local Jaguar centre only to pay for parts using cheque or card as they had stopped taking cash,i asked them if they would take cash for a new XF they said no to that as well.
I work for myself and the day that i stop taking cash will be the day i give up, it never shows you up by not working and it does not get returned unpaid by the banks.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2009 - 9:11 PM

I had similar problems when I looked into buying a throwaway SIM when on holiday in the US. Part of the terrorist paranoia I think. Seems the terrorists have already won.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 9:17 PM

I didn't know that anyone was able to refuse legal tender

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 9:36 PM

Quote: I didn't know that anyone was able to refuse legal tender

only if you have an existing debt. If the shopkeeper hasn't made an `invitation to treat' they can refuse. (I think)

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 9:49 PM

Quote: only if you have an existing debt. If the shopkeeper hasn't made an `invitation to treat' they can refuse. (I think)

...and this is what I've learned today Wink lol I really didn't know that Smile

Bucephalas69
28 Jul 2009 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Quote:Over here you can't buy any mobile phone anymore without using your bank account for the transaction, or a credit card - unless the company already has your data. Which sounds very similar to what they said at Vodaphone...But Argos let me buy with cash...they don't have any details about me.....?

As an ex-phone retail store manager, i can say that the main reason will be to prevent box breaking.
Certain individuals would go from store to store buying up PAYG phones in their hundreds and within 48 hours they would be unlocked and on their way to India where they're worth a lot more.
We would often ring our local Argos and give descriptions of individuals. If we then saw them with an Argos bag we would report this to our HO who would remind Argos of their T&C's regarding the sale of their phones.

The phone you bought has an imei number and you are on their cctv so your not as anonymous as you may think.

Last Modified By Bucephalas69 at 28 Jul 2009 - 10:11 PM
newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2009 - 12:28 AM

Yes - in many ways the loss leader model seems to have gone crazy in certain industries and I can't help thinking that this works against the average consumer. All loss leaders are essentially a 'con' of some kind in the sense that the consumer's custom is gained with a compelling offer that hides costs elsewhere.

Cash payments allow you to break the model (including making furture advertising/marketing revenue more difficult) and I can see why that would be discouraged by retailers. But as a consumer - go for it and hope that just maybe a more open cost model will show up as a result.

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5351 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
29 Jul 2009 - 10:45 AM

Money, it always causes problems still it will never bother as I have non.

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2009 - 10:50 AM

Are stamps still legal tender? The day I can't go into Primark and buy a pack of 5 pants with 10 Ist class stamps I give up.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2009 - 12:10 PM

The world just gets crazier every day. Sigh.

freyjas_dad
29 Jul 2009 - 12:58 PM

Sorry, I thought it said "cats no longer legal tender".

Wrong forum

Paul65
30 Jul 2009 - 7:45 PM

Quote: Are stamps still legal tender? The day I can't go into Primark and buy a pack of 5 pants with 10 Ist class stamps I give up.

Only Green Shield & Co-op Fishnet !!

Anyone remember them? Saved up 3,000,000 Green Shield stamps once...got meself a loverly toaster.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.