Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cash Machine Fraud

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kokobrown
    kokobrown  101902 forum posts Scotland
    30 Oct 2009 - 4:15 PM

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been posted already but just thought Id share with you!

I was in Watford high street 2 days ago and went to put my card into the barclays cash machine.. it just didnt feel right, there was a guy standing at the next machine not actually doing anything, so I went to put my card in but the grabber didnt feel right so I whipped my card straight back out before it could take it right in..the guy next to me was watching me.. very suss...so i moved on to another cash machine!!!

Just had a note through the door from the neighbour hood watch warning about it..its here as well..!!!!cash machine fraud

This isnt a viral email - it actually really did happen to me, well nearly if I hadnt been so on the ball!!!

Bloody scamming bastards!!

K xxx

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Oct 2009 - 4:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 5:50 PM

I guess the best advice is if the machine eats your card don't leave the ATM - even if its during normal opening hours. Of course its a big problem if its later in the day or at weekends when the banks are shut and you can't hang about for ages.

kokobrown
    kokobrown  101902 forum posts Scotland
    30 Oct 2009 - 5:59 PM

Absoloutley, my issue would have been I didnt have my mobile phone with me at the time so if it had got my card then I would have had to have hung around the machine and tried to alert someone within the bank or asked a kind stranger walking by if I could borrow their phone!

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 6:57 PM

Always look at the card slot. I went to get some cash out the other week from our local Morrisons and there was a copper strip in the reader just where the magnetic strip on the card was. I didn't put the card in & called the security guard who said it was ok, I informed him otherwise and told him to look at the other machines as they were ok. He called the manager & they got the police in to check it.

mark_delta
    30 Oct 2009 - 7:07 PM

most are a full panel that covers the whole front of the terminal
    example here
    link
    looking for something on the slot is out of date, give the full panel a tug !

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 7:12 PM

I do that as well, passers by think you're completely nuts, but better safe than sorry. Interesting to see the link has morrisons stuff on as well.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 30 Oct 2009 - 7:13 PM
    f8
    f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 10:41 PM

I always use the ATM inside the bank,its safer.

BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2009 - 11:33 PM

I used to use the ones inside the bank ... then they were gone .... took 4 away and put one outside and you need to be a midget to use it!

f8
    f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2009 - 2:13 PM

Change your bank!!

User_Removed
    31 Oct 2009 - 2:52 PM

Your all screwed when the wireless payment cards come about.

Can just read all your details from 100m away.

Standards agencies have been having a big headache with RFID cards etc. for a long time now...

And mark delta, that photo is old school! - I would be much more worried about checking your internet connected PC for viruses and spy ware: Believe it or not, the information to do with WHAT you do with your money is more safely valuable than the actual money itself...

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Oct 2009 - 2:57 PM
    Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 8869 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2009 - 3:33 PM

Looks like I'll have to start carrying my cards around in a lead-lined box once they go wirelessSmile And maybe wear a tin foil hat, just to be on the safe side!

8Mfps
    8Mfps  579 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Oct 2009 - 4:26 PM

And don't forget the lead lined jock strap!

Last Modified By 8Mfps at 31 Oct 2009 - 4:26 PM
    User_Removed
    31 Oct 2009 - 5:41 PM

You just have to look at the disaster that happened with oyster cards.

The system was immediately cloned and people were putting 500 credit onto their cards for free.

The company redesigned and added a layer of authentication onto the transaction processes. (for a very costly fee I would imagine).

You could still create a 500 card for free; however it would no longer work as the credit did not come from an authenticated source... To get around the new "secure" system all you had to do was pop down to one of the ticket terminals and add say a fiver to your 500 card.

Behold, you then had an official authenticated 505 card Smile.

...This carried on for months until they finally got the message and secured the system properly. - and this still didn't cover physical security. I see credit transaction boxes open and unlocked all the time at my train station.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95940 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2009 - 5:55 PM

Quote: I guess the best advice is if the machine eats your card don't leave the ATM - even if its during normal opening hours. Of course its a big problem if its later in the day or at weekends when the banks are shut and you can't hang about for ages

Happened to me sometime ago at one of the machines at my local Tescos
    I stood with my back to the machine for approx 45 minutes,so no one else could use it,while trying,eventually with success to contact my bank.
    They even gave me a one off code I could punch into another machine to access some cash(50 I believe).
    As far as I recall this was on a Sunday.New card arrived on the Tuesday morning.

Adrian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.