Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Castle Cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

camay
camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 11:06 AM

Has anyone heard of Castle Cameras? They are selling the Olympus 12 - 60 lens for 699 - much less than anyone else? Is this a case of "if it's cheaper than anywhere else, there's a good reason".
Thanks, Lynne

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jun 2010 - 11:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
20 Jun 2010 - 11:26 AM

Lived in Verwood many years ago and used to visit Castle Cameras when they had a branch in Ringwood. Assuming it's the same outfit, then they have been around for years so I wouldn't hesitate. As you say a good price - go for it - you know you want to Smile

Snapper
Snapper  93686 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 11:27 AM

It also says "one only",so you'll have to be quick. They are a long established "real" camera store, so I'd think you'd be fine dealing with them.

davey_griffo
20 Jun 2010 - 11:35 AM

A much reduced price, as has been pointed out in forums relating to other vendors, can mean a grey importer. Having said that, I bought a Sony lens from Jessops, who were selling it 80.00 cheaper than their nearest rival (Amazon), & hundreds less than some, so it's not always the case.

If you get no positive response from other EPZers, see what you can find out. Call & ask them if it's an officially imported lens.

You could also Google "problems with Castle Cameras", or something similar. If there's loads of hits/complaints, I'd steer clear. But if you get none, then count yourself as having found a bargain.

Just to cover yourself, it may be worth getting something in writing (e-mail counts in law). If they guarantee it's not a grey import, you'll want that if you need to exercise the warantee, & Olympus baulk at covering any fault that develops (*groan*) in the lens.

Chances are, you'll get a good product & have no problems. But it's always nice to have the reassurance of a valid guarantee.

Even better is to buy from a shop, then you have someone to shout at. Smile

Snapper
Snapper  93686 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 11:54 AM

From the lefthand side of the linked page: All equipment is from the official UK importer with EU warranty.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110146 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 12:35 PM

Castle Cameras are a long established company in the Bournemouth and Salisbury area.

They provide first rate service with good prices - highly recommended

camay
20 Jun 2010 - 12:52 PM

I've had a look on-line, one very positive review, no negatives, a good sign. I'll phone tomorrow and hope I get it, I'm on an unsecure network at the moment and don't want to put in bank details. Thank you all for the feedback, especially those with local knowledge.
Lynne

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 2:00 PM

Castle Cameras are a totally reputable and decent camera shop. They've been around for a good while.

franken
franken e2 Member 113024 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2010 - 3:35 PM

Used them several years ago; excellent service.

Ken

Miles Herbert
20 Jun 2010 - 5:35 PM

I use them all the time ... Just give them a call and ask for Debbie ... she will sort you out...

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 - 9:20 PM

Quote: Just give them a call and ask for Debbie ... she will sort you out...

....we still talking photography ?

camay
21 Jun 2010 - 5:15 PM

Phoned up first thing this morning, they still had the lens so bought it. They had tried to sell it for 799 and it hadn't shifted so just to get it off their hands they brought down the price. I'm delighted, thanks to you all for your positive endorsements of the company.
Lynne

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jun 2010 - 9:25 PM

You won't have any problem, been using them for years top service all round

mohikan22
mohikan22  102185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 8:01 AM

Love castle cameras. i buy most of my lenses from them and have even sent off one of my tamron lenses through them for repair. Theyre very helpful (in Winton) and knowledgable.

matt.

Stubill
Stubill  6107 forum posts England
22 Jun 2010 - 12:53 PM

One more from me.
Castle Cameras = Excellent

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.