Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Caves

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Peter_West
    15 May 2012 - 8:28 AM

Hi All. Please can you help, will be going to White Scar Caves in next few weeks, but in a certain cave your not allowed flash, any help what to set my camera on, not really sure how to go about this. Pete

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 May 2012 - 8:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 May 2012 - 8:50 AM

Without knowing what camera/lens its a tricky question.
    Basics are white balance to suit lighting usually tungsten high iso around 800+, aperture priority and keep it as wide as possible, focusing could be a problem in low light so you may which to focus manually.
    Hope this helps

JohnParminter
    15 May 2012 - 8:53 AM

Camera in manual.

Choose a high ISO first say 1600.

Choose widest aperture for your lens focal length, perhaps f/2.8 or f/4.

Spot meter an area you want reasonable exposure, note what the shutter speed is, if it is fast enough to avoid blurr hand held take your shot.

If the shutter speed is too slow then either increase ISO or suport your camera to reduce movement blur.

You could also use in camera shadow boosting if your model allows it, Nikon's is Active D-Lighting.

This is how I would work out and evaluate the optimum settings for my exposure, once you have gained an acceptable exposure you can then alter the combination of parameters that determine the exposure for a little more creative effect if you desire.

Peter_West
    15 May 2012 - 9:12 AM

Oh right thanks for that, forgot to mention, i have a canon 600d and with standard lense and a 70 to 300,

puertouk
    puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi, I think you will struggle a little with a lens of 70-300mm. Your best bet for that type of work is a prime lens, maybe 50mm f1.4/f1.8.
    Stephen

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Quote: i have a canon 600d and with standard lens

Do you mean a prime lens (fixed focal) or a zoom?

Peter_West
    15 May 2012 - 2:21 PM

hi all thios is what i have Canon EOS600D with Canon 18-55 IS MKII Lens

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 2:44 PM

Looking at the website, it looks like there might be a reasonable amount of light for the main attractions, so your standard zoom may be OK.

Just set the camera to ISO 1600. You can leave it on the 'P' setting if you are not used to the semi-auto (Av and Tv) or manual (M) settings on the mode dial.

Jestertheclown
    15 May 2012 - 2:59 PM

Some great shots on that website Ben. I reckon you'll have a great time down there.
    As CB says, it does look pretty camera-friendly. All of the above advice sound's good. Just try to keep the camera as still as you can. If it's possible hold it on a railing or similar as you take the shots.
    Better still and you might get away with it, use a monopod. Tripods will very likely be banned. Might be worth enquiring before you go?

collywobles
    15 May 2012 - 4:11 PM

You wanna see a cave visit Potronja Caves in Slovenia, you could put St Pauls and the Albert Hall in them and still leave room for Wembley.

cave.jpg

Postojna Cave is a network of 20 kilometres of passages, galleries and chambers into which experienced guides have accompanied more than 31 million visitors in the last 188 years. It is the largest cave in the “classic karst” and the most vis¬ited show cave in Europe. In 1872 railway lines were laid in the cave; electricity arrived in 1884. Today you begin your visit aboard the cave train; the electric lighting allows you to admire the size and splendour of the underground world, where the geological past is recorded in a unique manner. Visitors to the cave are dazzled by a wealth of speleothems: calcite formations, stalactites and stalagmites abounding in a variety of shapes, colours and age. The constant temperatureinthe caves ranges from 8 to 10° C. A guided visit lasts an hour and a half.

Take the train through the underground world of the largest cave in the Classic Karst and the most visited tourist cave in Europe to see magnificent caverns and glistening stalactite formations. View the largest collection of cave animals in one place.
    The nearby Pivka and Črna jama caves are also worth a visit.

Peter_West
    16 May 2012 - 9:02 AM

thanks all some good advice looking forwatrd to it, will put my result on here lol, should be a laugh, like i said says on cave website that flash in banned in one cave, not being an expert but surprsied a flash could do some harm down there, Pete

Jestertheclown
    16 May 2012 - 9:12 AM

Quote: not being an expert but surprsied a flash could do some harm down there,

I once visited a cave system in the "Atlas Mountains" in Morocco and there was a similar ban in there. Apparently it was because some of the caves were full of bats who were upset by the flashes.
    Could be the case here.

Peter_West
    16 May 2012 - 9:52 AM

This taken from there website

Photography is allowed, except in the Battlefield Cavern (for reasons of safety and conservation).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.