Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

CF card crisis!!

10 Sep 2005 2:12AM
Aaaarggghhhh!

I've just been out with my new Sigma lens photographing swans by the river. It's really hot and sticky here, my hygrometer is reading 98% at the moment.

I was out for about 2 hours and after around an hour started to get the a few shots which were shown as "corrupted" when I tried to review them. When I got back to the car and tried to review all the images to delete the duff shots the camera said "CF Err", and wouldn't show me a thing.

Back home now and even the card reader in my pc doesn't aknowledge that a card is present!

Have I lost my shots? Or will it start to work when humidity drops a bit? Are more expensive brands of CF less prone to this than my cheapy Jessops card?

Could this have fubared by lovely new 350D as well?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

10 Sep 2005 5:52AM
Try to fix the lead to the camera to view the images, i had this trouble and when i took the card out and put it into my reader, if you leave the card in the camera and connect the usb lead it might work, other than that you can always recover the files by using rescuePro

Luke
PatrickSmith e2
9 1.2k 2 United States
10 Sep 2005 6:49AM
I have a 350D and I lost 2 cards full of pics soon after I got it. I edited some shots on the PC and then put it back in the camera, took more shots, and then got that error when I tried to see it in the PC again. Another time, I edited it in the PC and got a card error in the camera. Now, I format the card in the camera each time I go out, or if I even touch the card in the PC. No problems since.

There are recovery tools you can get, but haven't seen them

Patrick
AngelaR e2
10 155 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2005 7:02AM
I used 'Drive Rescue' earlier this week when I deleted most of my holiday pics by mistake during upload - and it worked for me. And my son has had some success with it as well. I have a Fuji S602 and he has Canon 300D and 20D, so different cards. There was a link in the forum to this in July if you do a search.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2005 10:44AM
I would never dream of doing anything while the card is connected to the PC....My way is this:-
1-Card(CF)is removed from camera and inserted in USB card reader
2-Files are then uploaded to "My Documents"-by default
3-Card is removed from card reader
4-Only now do I view the images
5-Card is formatted in camera when I know files are all safely uploaded

Thanx Adrian
23 Sep 2005 6:53PM
If it's the quality of the card try lexar with write acceleration. I have had some cards with read errors or corupt and lexar seems to me to be tops so far. i use the cheapy cards in my canon a40 and lexar w/ write acc. in my rebel. tonymarq
Firebaby e2
11 1.2k Faroe Islands
23 Sep 2005 10:43PM
Have to say I agree with Tomcat. My workflow also.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2005 7:29AM
I would also say AJ that only in the early days of our first digi-cam(A HP 1Mgp)have I ever connected a camera to the PC....I have these strange ideas thast if the PC went on "tilt" while the camera was connected it could somehow affect it...
Cheers Adrian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.