Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Challenge of Nuisance?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
23 Feb 2012 - 3:38 PM

It strikes me that, as most here are landscape photographers who never print above A3, they should be looking at the D7000 which beats all other Nikons [and Canons etc] in the DR stakes.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2012 - 3:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RavenTepes
24 Feb 2012 - 7:09 AM

From what I've read about the D800, to me, it's nothing too exciting. I don't need to make a print the size of a wall! While yes, I can see some application for its sensor and how it could potentially be useful, I really don't need anything above my D700 at this point in time, and i'll assume that around 85% or more D700 users would possibly agree. At the end of the day, I don't need or have any desire to be able to work on a portrait where I need to airbrush more than I may already have to. It might be ok for bird photography...

thewilliam
24 Feb 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yesterday, I had a good play with the D800 at the NPS Roadshow.

It's much like any Nikon high-end camera in that it's been well thought out and the resolution is indeed impressive. The image processor has been upgraded to cope with a file size that's 3 times larger than the D3 that I'm used to.

My problem would arise in Lightroom when I'm doing the weeding because everything would take 3 times as long. Once the image has been cropped to the final size, the Photoshop work wouldn't take any longer than before but the native size @ 300ppi is about 24 inch wide.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2012 - 12:50 PM

Quote: Yesterday, I had a good play with the D800 at the NPS Roadshow

ISO performance?

thewilliam
24 Feb 2012 - 2:15 PM

Much the same as I'd get from a D3. We need to accept that we can have either a huge pixel count or superlative high ISO performance but not both.

To get full benefit from the resolution of the D800, it needs to be used at modest ISO and firmly mounted on a tripod or monopod if we're not using studio flash.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 24 Feb 2012 - 2:16 PM
annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2012 - 12:56 AM

Well I had a look at the review here and I'm really not aware why I should sacrifice the grippy body of my D2x or the flawless funtion with any lens for a tiny body and the 'need' to use live view for decent quality. clearly the body is too light if it shakes so easily. Reckon it is a pig to focus if you need to get your reading glasses out to see what you are doing on a small screen which doesn't come with a black cloth like the 'life view' I used to have on the Toyo field.
And HD Video or xx zone autofocus, I can't see the point either.

As of today, Mr Left Forum, is your D3s still for sale?

User_Removed
25 Feb 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quote:

As of today, Mr Left Forum, is your D3s still for sale?

Sorry Annette.

Sold it on eBay a week ago. (It was on the classifieds here as well).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.