Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Challenges - waste of time or what?

bppowell 13 2.1k 2 England
21 Aug 2008 8:59AM
I have noticed that there seems to be some tactical voting going on in the challange section.

I have had a couple of images go from first to last overnight, from a vote of 9 to 6 and another from 8.5 to 6.

This is very off putting, and it is really very frustrating not being able to see who did what.

Rant over!!

Barry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
21 Aug 2008 9:10AM
I've had this happen to me a few times in the past and recently. Challenges no longer worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.

Ken
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2008 9:16AM
You can contact the Challenge Gallery editor Paul Morgan who can and will look into it for you, or raise a report through the normal channels.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Aug 2008 9:17AM
Crikey - totally forgot that part of the site existed!

I had the same thing happen, got frustrated that you couldn't see who'd done the dirty, got frustrated that you couldn't vote on shots in the same challenge that you were part of, and just abandoned it and came to annoy people on the forums instead

a far better use of my time Wink
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
21 Aug 2008 9:24AM
I've forgotten the rules re challenges; would i be correct in thinking that I could vote on a challenge and then upload an image to that challenge later? If this is the case I suggest that previous voting by the person who later uploaded to the challenge should be cancelled.

Ken
21 Aug 2008 10:13AM
So I am not alone in having this happen.

To complain officially could sound like sour grapes hence the forum route.

Just needed to get it off my chest or really take the hump, delete all my images and leave Wink.

These things happen, but I thought a revamp of the challange section was under way, perhaps this area could be part of that.

Barry
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Aug 2008 10:16AM
there's plenty of other things you can do on EPZ that are far less frustrating than the challenge gallery

go to the critique gallery and comment on some photos, far more productive than someone giving your shot 0 points just so their mates can win a challenge
csurry 12 9.2k 92
21 Aug 2008 10:18AM
Haven't been in for ages, but will admit to sometimes trying to "even" out votes.

If an out of focus image has 9 votes but a technically better one that meets the criteria has less I'll give the 9 a 4 or something like that Tongue

I like to think of it as a crusade Grin

Must go visit again some time soon.
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
21 Aug 2008 11:19AM
I think the hint is in the title...

Quote:Challenges - waste of time or what?

Smile
21 Aug 2008 11:59AM
Taken in the implied way it does seem a little apt to the way I felt this morning, I should of completed it with "or what do you think"

Barry
Simon_P 8 487 4 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2008 1:01PM
I have only entered 1 challenge and got second highest, so for me that didnít seem unfair plus the one that got the higher mark was a better entry, but I guess there is always the chance of tactical voting, nothing new there, its human nature.

Maybe entries should be anonymous (if there not already) until the challenge is over.
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
21 Aug 2008 1:29PM
Not for me anymore...... was very keen in the beginning. Then it went haywire for a time.

Personally I'd start again, with different rules..... I rather like blind uploads.

Col
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2008 1:32PM

Quote:I suggest that previous voting by the person who later uploaded to the challenge should be cancelled.

I believe that happens already.
fauxtography 9 6.6k 36
21 Aug 2008 2:46PM
Disabling voting for participants is crap. There are too few people using it at the moment, so stopping those that entered from voting essentially discourages people from entering...it also leaves it more open to tactical voting abuse, as one or two votes can have a massive effect due to low voter turnout.

If my scores are wiped out because i enter the comp, why should i bother entering?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2008 2:51PM
I tend to agree with you Mark, but it was put in as a reaction to the "now I've uploaded mine I will give everyone else a 1" syndrome that happened far too many times.

The challenge gallery seems to have many of the problems that the main gallery has only they seem to be magnified. If people used it how they are supposed to - it would all work fine, but people don't.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.