Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Challenges - waste of time or what?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
bppowell
bppowell  122119 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 8:59 AM

I have noticed that there seems to be some tactical voting going on in the challange section.

I have had a couple of images go from first to last overnight, from a vote of 9 to 6 and another from 8.5 to 6.

This is very off putting, and it is really very frustrating not being able to see who did what.

Rant over!!

Barry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Aug 2008 - 8:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:10 AM

I've had this happen to me a few times in the past and recently. Challenges no longer worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.

Ken

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:16 AM

You can contact the Challenge Gallery editor Paul Morgan who can and will look into it for you, or raise a report through the normal channels.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:17 AM

Crikey - totally forgot that part of the site existed!

I had the same thing happen, got frustrated that you couldn't see who'd done the dirty, got frustrated that you couldn't vote on shots in the same challenge that you were part of, and just abandoned it and came to annoy people on the forums instead

a far better use of my time Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:24 AM

I've forgotten the rules re challenges; would i be correct in thinking that I could vote on a challenge and then upload an image to that challenge later? If this is the case I suggest that previous voting by the person who later uploaded to the challenge should be cancelled.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 21 Aug 2008 - 9:27 AM
bppowell
21 Aug 2008 - 10:13 AM

So I am not alone in having this happen.

To complain officially could sound like sour grapes hence the forum route.

Just needed to get it off my chest or really take the hump, delete all my images and leave Wink.

These things happen, but I thought a revamp of the challange section was under way, perhaps this area could be part of that.

Barry

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 10:16 AM

there's plenty of other things you can do on EPZ that are far less frustrating than the challenge gallery

go to the critique gallery and comment on some photos, far more productive than someone giving your shot 0 points just so their mates can win a challenge

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 10:18 AM

Haven't been in for ages, but will admit to sometimes trying to "even" out votes.

If an out of focus image has 9 votes but a technically better one that meets the criteria has less I'll give the 9 a 4 or something like that Tongue

I like to think of it as a crusade Grin

Must go visit again some time soon.

bangalicious
21 Aug 2008 - 11:19 AM

I think the hint is in the title...

Quote: Challenges - waste of time or what?

Smile

bppowell
21 Aug 2008 - 11:59 AM

Taken in the implied way it does seem a little apt to the way I felt this morning, I should of completed it with "or what do you think"

Barry

Simon_P
Simon_P  7487 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 1:01 PM

I have only entered 1 challenge and got second highest, so for me that didn’t seem unfair plus the one that got the higher mark was a better entry, but I guess there is always the chance of tactical voting, nothing new there, its human nature.

Maybe entries should be anonymous (if there not already) until the challenge is over.

Last Modified By Simon_P at 21 Aug 2008 - 1:02 PM
User_Removed
21 Aug 2008 - 1:29 PM

Not for me anymore...... was very keen in the beginning. Then it went haywire for a time.

Personally I'd start again, with different rules..... I rather like blind uploads.

Col

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 1:32 PM

Quote: I suggest that previous voting by the person who later uploaded to the challenge should be cancelled.

I believe that happens already.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 21 Aug 2008 - 1:52 PM
fauxtography
21 Aug 2008 - 2:46 PM

Disabling voting for participants is crap. There are too few people using it at the moment, so stopping those that entered from voting essentially discourages people from entering...it also leaves it more open to tactical voting abuse, as one or two votes can have a massive effect due to low voter turnout.

If my scores are wiped out because i enter the comp, why should i bother entering?

Last Modified By fauxtography at 21 Aug 2008 - 2:46 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 2:51 PM

I tend to agree with you Mark, but it was put in as a reaction to the "now I've uploaded mine I will give everyone else a 1" syndrome that happened far too many times.

The challenge gallery seems to have many of the problems that the main gallery has only they seem to be magnified. If people used it how they are supposed to - it would all work fine, but people don't.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.