Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Challenges - waste of time or what?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 3:09 PM

I wish people could be honest! I loved entering a challenge and then going through marking other entries, often with higher scores than mine. I agree having the option to mark removed did kill some of the enjoyment. Maybe having an option to only score same or higher than your entry would resolve that? "I mark mine 8 and yours one" syndrome

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Aug 2008 - 3:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fauxtography
21 Aug 2008 - 3:17 PM

I'm with you on that Pete, I like marking other shots... I'm certainly not going to mark people down because there's is "better". The marking only higher might work, but so would making voters names apparent, it could apply to only those that have entered an image maybe?

bppowell
bppowell  122122 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 3:39 PM

I would like to mark and enter as well, and I do like the challange gallery, just sometimes get a little annoyed.

Maybe the mark same or higher option in the way to go.

Barry

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314804 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 7:49 PM

Quote: Haven't been in for ages, but will admit to sometimes trying to "even" out votes

I good example of tactical voting

If a little less of this went on the voting would be better and fairer, simply give a score on a picture that you think its worth.

Don`t vote lower than you would normally simply because you feel the overall score is a little high, in time the scores will balance out.

Quote: You can contact the Challenge Gallery editor Paul Morgan who can and will look into it for you, or raise a report through the normal channels

Pm me with a link to the challenge.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 7:57 PM

When I say I gave one pic a 4 I was being generous - it wasn't even worth a 2 in my book!

But they don't balance out.

When a photo gets 1 vote and sits on 9 for ages, but a better pic has 8 votes and averages 8.87 or something. If no-one bothers to vote then it does not even out.

The people in the comp can't vote, so unless you can influence the vote what is the point of anyone else visting the challenge. There is no incentive to vote except for people getting their friends to vote for them.

bppowell
bppowell  122122 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 8:35 PM

So that's it, I need more friends Wink

The people who post to a particular challange are the ones interested in that challange but they cannot vote. Most of the others have no interest in that challange so probably do not even look at it.

Perhaps we could have a different way of averaging the votes, maybe using the Norm for the score rather than the average (I think it's the Norm, most common number in a sequence), you should not get such drastic variations then.

Barry

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014401 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 8:49 PM

It's too bad people are involved, isn't it? They always seem to screw things up.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:28 PM

Quote: It's too bad people are involved, isn't it? They always seem to screw things up.

Very true. Until we come up with a fully computerised system for assessing everything - clicks, challenge points, critique points etc I'm afraid we're stuck with poor old homo sapiens!

Tony_W
Tony_W  7128 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 9:57 PM

Just been reminded of the challenges section by this topic so thought I'd revisit. I left after 5 minutes of looking as you can't click through the images easily if you want to see them larger than thumbnails. I don't see how you can evaluate an image by viewing the thumbnail alone so why is it possible?
Also the thumbnails appear to be shown in current ranking order. This makes it easy for tactical voting. Why not leave the images in upload order and leave disclosure of the totals/winner until the challenge is closed. This way you vote on the image, not how others have voted.
Tony

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 10:08 PM

Quote: I left after 5 minutes of looking as you can't click through the images easily if you want to see them larger than thumbnails.

Yes you can..sort of - sometimes. You can't do it from the winning pic but if you click on the original pic you have the same left & right buttons we have in the gallery.

Tony_W
Tony_W  7128 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 10:37 PM

Quote: Yes you can..sort of - sometimes. .....if you click on the original pic you have the same left & right buttons we have in the gallery.

Tried this and after 3 images I was back to the original, missing out on loads of others.

Why not make is simple for us and yourselves and stick to the same process as the main gallery?

Tony

Lou_C
Lou_C  7755 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 10:57 PM

I think the challenges need a time limit or something. I entered a photo in April and it never got a vote, nor have any that were added afterwards. So obviously no one is really looking at the challenge, apart from those who want to enter, and then they cant vote.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2008 - 11:01 PM

Quote: I think the challenges need a time limit

It could make the system more meaningful. Perhaps a one or three month limit. If there are no further entries after the first, auto-deletion of the challenge after expiry of the time limit.

fauxtography
21 Aug 2008 - 11:03 PM

There is a time limit, it is just set by the challenge originator

Carabosse
21 Aug 2008 - 11:20 PM

There is no time limit visible. Any time limit should, perhaps, be a fixed one.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.