Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Challenges - waste of time or what?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014210 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 3:46 AM

If one has to give one's name, and reasons in a comments area for one's vote, it might tend to balance things out in the end, you know, more egg on one face, less on another. Having to own up to, and justify one's vote means a whole new ballgame.Wink

And in the end, it might lead to some rather lively debates in the forum.Smile

Everyone wins, so to speak....or loses, however yo' look at it.

Oops, almost forgot the apostrophe, have to watch our English.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 22 Aug 2008 - 3:50 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Aug 2008 - 3:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 7:45 AM

Quote: Quote:Yes you can..sort of - sometimes. .....if you click on the original pic you have the same left & right buttons we have in the gallery.Tried this and after 3 images I was back to the original, missing out on loads of others.

Hmmm - your right. Looks like its broke to me. I've reported it so hopefully the chaps can fix it.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
22 Aug 2008 - 9:44 AM

Hi everyone,

In regards to the problem with the next/prev. We have upgrades in mine which will allow the choice to view the challenge uploads in rating order (currently) or date uploaded.

Tony_W
Tony_W  6128 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 5:21 PM

David, what about the idea of not revealing the totals until the end of the challenge? It would make it hard to tactically vote if you didn't know the running totals. Of course this would mean that you couldn't allow browsing by ratings order.

Lou_C
Lou_C  7755 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 6:32 PM

Quote: David, what about the idea of not revealing the totals until the end of the challenge? It would make it hard to tactically vote if you didn't know the running totals. Of course this would mean that you couldn't allow browsing by ratings order.

That sounds like a good idea, perhaps you could even go one further and make the uploads anonymous so people cant vote for their favourite photographers and the vote is on the basis of the photo only.

I know people could PM others and let them know they've entered and which one to vote for. But if anyone is that sad then nothing will stop them having to win through cheating.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 7:13 PM

Quote: David, what about the idea of not revealing the totals until the end of the challenge

Thats what I would like to see and also the entries not being shown in any order of score.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014556 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 9:04 PM

an interesting addition to the gallery would be an anonymous section where shots are presented to the viewer (i.e. us) in pairs and you click on the one of the pair you prefer.

the one that gets clicked gets 1 point, the other gets -1

the photos are selected randomly - or maybe by "subject" area - then each day the we get a top 10 Smile

note the word INTERESTING, it's not a perfect solution or even a solution to the usual problems with voting.

I did one with the contestants for Miss World once, that was like the FA cup in that you started off with 64, knocked out 32, then the second round etc. till you got to the final 2.

a different kind of challenge, and one where you ahve a simple decision - a choice of 2 shots - and to get to the next shot, you HAVE to choose one Smile

hmmmm - quite like that idea

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 22 Aug 2008 - 9:07 PM
bppowell
bppowell  122119 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Aug 2008 - 9:31 PM

Another option would be to have a weekly/monthly challange for each of the categorys in the upload area (something for everyone)with the winners going into a special Challange Winners gallery.

Again it would have to be anonymous upload and score until after the challange ends even for those taking part.

Barry

ade_mcfade
22 Aug 2008 - 9:44 PM

is there still about 10000 categories without any challenges against them?

I stared one called Bradford Town Hall once Wink

got no chalenges, so guess I win that one!

bppowell
22 Aug 2008 - 9:47 PM

There probably are a lot of dead challanges, this is why it may be worth while starting again with a different format.

Barry

ade_mcfade
22 Aug 2008 - 9:53 PM

the easier it is to use, the more we will use it - I think having lots of little challenges made it so hard to get anywhere. There were a few bigger generic challenges that were good, but when it came down to "best park bench in luton", you gave up.

I like the idea of 2 shots on screen, then making a simple binary choice, then getting 2 shots on screen... and on it goes.

I bet it'd get sooo addictive, people will see more shots than they currently do and so long as people don't put names on the frames, it;'ll be reasonably anonymous

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2008 - 8:14 PM

Quote: There probably are a lot of dead challanges, this is why it may be worth while starting again with a different format

Not anymore, and there are prizes on offer with these two Smile

Lomography Challenge

Festivals/carnivals

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Aug 2008 - 8:14 PM
bppowell
23 Aug 2008 - 9:47 PM

Paul, your Lomography link goes to "elinchrom999's Gallery" which is empty.

I saw this one in the forums and could not make out what it was about so gave it a miss, I do not own or even know what a Lomography camera is.

Did not see the Festival one, there are a couple of events coming up in my area over the next couple of weeks so may give that a go.

Barry

Paul Morgan
23 Aug 2008 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Paul, your Lomography link goes to "elinchrom999's Gallery" which is empty

Lol, how bizarre, here it is again Smile

Lomography Challenge

Quote: Did not see the Festival one, there are a couple of events coming up in my area over the next couple of weeks so may give that a go

Go for it, and remember they don`t necessarily have to include anything to do with music.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.