Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change 7D for 1D mk. IV...arguements for and against

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 8:59 PM

OK, a birthday (the big six-O) in the offing and mrs. salty wants ideas.
Arguments for and against trading in my trusty 7D for a 1D Mk IV .
I have L glass - 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 II and am prepared to sacrifice my 10-22 (EF-S) for another, so persuade me...should I go for it?
Do I want to? Yes says my heart.
Can I justify it? No says my head.
Why, asks mrs. salty. Mumble, mumble, it's a technical thing you won't understand, say I.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 28 Aug 2012 - 9:04 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2012 - 8:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
28 Aug 2012 - 9:53 PM

ask your bank manager he will slap you round earSmile

ourdayphotos
28 Aug 2012 - 9:57 PM

I can understand that you might want what you could consider as being one of the best Canons but personally I'd go for the lighter, smaller & cheaper full frame 5D MKIII which would still be a huge leap in quality from your 7D. Good luck with your decision & birthday.

Last Modified By ourdayphotos at 28 Aug 2012 - 9:58 PM
javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 10:17 PM

I would supplement the 7D with a 5D, rather than swap it.

I would find the APS-H crop factor a major PITA for any wide angle work.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81104 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2012 - 10:41 PM

I really think you should get Mrs Salty into photography (if she isn't already) so she can properly review your dilemma. Smile

Women are fairly useless at all the tech stuff but they are much more imaginative .

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43922 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 5:56 AM

INput accpeted with thanks...so a new direction (possibly) to the discussion - the 1D v. the 5D III
Thoughts for and against?

Malc

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 6:28 AM

1D cameras just feel so much better in the hand Wink

ourdayphotos
29 Aug 2012 - 6:31 AM

Lots of comparison tests on youtube but I'd def go for the 5D MkIII, you could get that with another L lens and it would still be cheaper than the 1D.

saltireblue
29 Aug 2012 - 7:32 AM

Quote: Lots of comparison tests on youtube but I'd def go for the 5D MkIII, you could get that with another L lens and it would still be cheaper than the 1D.

Now there's a thought. Good argument to use under negotiations with the Chancellor as well!

Me thinks I have to get off down to the shops and get hands on and find out how they feel in reality.

Malc

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2012 - 8:47 AM

5D mark iii all the way.

It's lighter, slightly smaller, easier to use, it's a lovely full frame rather than a 1/3rd crop, it's 2500.00 not 4 or 5 grand.

steve486
steve486  3126 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Aug 2012 - 9:27 AM

if your not doing sports shots think about a used 1ds3 as that willgive your l glass the max workout

AndalucianPhotoAdventures

As a professional user of 7d, 5D mkII and 1D mkIV in my opinion you would be wasting your money. The 7D Al servo focusing is slightly quicker than that of the 1DmkIV. However, if you were working in extremely cold arctic conditions then the 1D mkIV would be a good choice as it is essentially a 7D with double the processors, has some built in tolerance levels.

I would agree 101% with many of the previous comments that a 5D mkIII would be the best choice. I have also just acquired the 1Dx and I would still opt for the 5D mkIII as you already have a 7D.

Last Modified By AndalucianPhotoAdventures at 29 Aug 2012 - 10:54 AM
NeilS
NeilS e2 Member 7875 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
29 Aug 2012 - 5:47 PM

Lets think about this logically, you can't buy a new 1DM4 now, so presumably you are looking at second hand, main advantages over 7D are :-

Faster Frame Rate (can make a difference)
Better Higher ISO performance
Longer Battery Life
Fully Weathersealed (depending on Lens)
Better IQ (ASPH sensor)
Better AF (despite whats said above)
Built in grip
F8 focus with T/Cs
Better shutter life
Dual Card

Disadvantages :-

Size
weight
Loss of focal length
Cost

Now if a lower frame rate, loss of F8 with T/C, full frame body is acceptable then as others have said the 5DM3 may just be up your street

Or you could wait a couple of weeks until Photokina to see if anything new pops up, such as a 2D,3D,4D,6D, 8D, or even a 7DM2 (ASPH)

ckristoff
ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
30 Aug 2012 - 8:53 PM

Hello Malc,

congratulations on your forthcoming birthday!

Do you mind me asking - don't you love your 7D anymore?

Frank.

saltireblue
31 Aug 2012 - 7:48 AM

Quote: Hello Malc,

congratulations on your forthcoming birthday!

Do you mind me asking - don't you love your 7D anymore?

Frank.

Hei Frank...yes, I still love it, but being a mere human, the temptation to upgrade was too much to resist.
All that remains now is to persuade the Chancellor (OH) that there is no need to sell the 7 as I may, one day, need a back-upWink

Malc

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.