Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change Canon f4 70-200L - to what?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 11:33 PM

Reviewing my lenses, this is the lens I use the least - although it is useful for agility and action shots, it is really too heavy to take on walks, and I don't use a tripod. It's probably (ok, more than certainly!) my technique, but I'm never getting great action shots like KathyW's or Coleslaws. Just big blurry lumps hurtling towards me Sad

So I'm thinking about selling it and getting a lighter lens, my question is, would I really notice the difference if I changed down to a cheaper Sigma or Tamron, or how about the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens? Its a good 6-7 years since I bought my lenses and I'm a bit out of touch...

Or... should I keep the 5D Mk II for indoor portraiture/macro and wide angle landscape, and look at the M for action shots (telephoto without the weight and bulk on walks?)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2012 - 11:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 7:47 AM

The 70-200 f4 is a very good lens indeed (as are all Canon's 70-200s). Isn't it just about right for action dog and cat shots? I suspect you'd notice quite a difference if you changed down to a cheaper model, in many respects. However, you'd have very little difficulty selling if that's the way you decide to go.

Ray_Seagrove
Ray_Seagrove e2 Member 5Ray_Seagrove vcard United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 - 8:04 AM

I have to agree with stevie you would find a drop off in performance if you changed to Tamron or Sigma my Canon 70-200 f4.0 is is the sharpest lens I have.

mikehit
mikehit  56296 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 8:37 AM

It sounds like your are not using it because it is not giving the results you want, and you don't use it wihch means your technique does not get the practice etc etc. It sounds like camera shake and as it is the non-OS version then you should be using shutter speeds no slower than 1/200 (maybe 1/300). I think the 70-300 IS USM is an excellent alternative to the 70-200f4. It has 4 stops IS and focuses fairly quickly - I have that and the 70-200 IS.

The 18-200 is a different beast altogether, though looking at the Tamron 18-270 365-day project I think that would be my personal preference.

If you are thinking of an alterative camera, I have just bought the Panasonic GX1 for walks and so far am very happy with it - a camera and three lenses in a pouch not much bigger than my 7D body with grip.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 8:44 AM

Are you using the IS version, Sus?
The non IS version is very light (well, for me anyway). I used to have one for doggies action shots. They are very good.
70-200 is brilliant lens, and just right for doggies stuff. So, I would stay with that range.

5D2 is not very good for doggie action due to the slow AF, but it is doable, with a bit of practice.

I have tried using PEN E-PL3 for doggie action, even though the shutter is fast, the tracking is not so.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 14 Aug 2012 - 8:45 AM
Sus
14 Aug 2012 - 9:34 AM

Thanks for input all - given all your comments perhaps I will have another look at how I'm using the lens before I part with it. Its not IS... Cole I am clearly more of a wimp than you, or perhaps my dogs need longer walks Wink but anyway the weight puts me off taking it, my thinking was even if the quality was not quite as good, better to 'f13, be there'! (is that the quote, or is it f4..?)

Using shutter speeds of 1/500 at least.

I didn't get on with the Panasonic compact I had, hence steering away from them. Could look at the PEN but now Canon are going into the market I'm tempted to be brand-faithful.

One thought was to get a 28- 105 instead, I wondered if I'd use that more.

I am not going up to the 5DIII - if anything I would trade down again to get an enthusiast model... I used my 350D so much more as it was light enough to take everywhere.

Sus
14 Aug 2012 - 10:02 AM

img-3651testdog.jpg

This is the sort of thing...1/500, f4.5, at ISO 320

Sus
14 Aug 2012 - 10:03 AM

(New Dog BTW Wink)

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 10:08 AM

They can't be too difficult, Sus. I would say improving technique is the way to go.
If you get your a*** down here and your doggies, then we can try things out together if you want.

I did struggle a bit with 5D2 plus 70-200 F4 before, hence I changed to 70-200 F2.8.

IMHO, I don't think there is anything better than DSLR when doing action stuff.

Sus
14 Aug 2012 - 11:27 AM

That sounds like a great idea - shame you are the other side of the country! I really must try to make it over.

I am wondering whether my focus needs calibrating or adjusting, or maybe my camera/lenses just need a service and clean (or maybe I am just trying to blame the tools and not the workman!)

Ok, I will have another bash at it. No way could I justify the f 2.8 unfortunately.

Coleslaw
14 Aug 2012 - 11:30 AM

If you think F4 is heavy, wait till you try the F2.8.....LOL

It might be worth doing the micro-adjustment which is available on 5D2.

Sus
14 Aug 2012 - 11:36 AM

Will try that cheers. My eyesights so rubbish I never know if its my eyes or the camera that's blurry...

EOS M

Quote: all of the company's existing EF and EF-S SLR lenses can be used via the co-announced 'Mount adapter EF-EOS M'

I have started rather unladylike drooling at that sentence.

Quote: new AAA-powered Speedlite 90EX unit

less at that (means existing speedlites not compatible?

Quote: SLR-like image quality in a smaller, easier-to-use package

Mmm, I love camera sales pitches.

Coleslaw
14 Aug 2012 - 12:01 PM

Quote: EOS M

Too expensive for what it is, and I read it somewhere that the AF is not very fast either.

Coleslaw
14 Aug 2012 - 12:07 PM

Read it here

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
new AAA-powered Speedlite 90EX unit
less at that (means existing speedlites not compatible?

I've read that speedlites ARE compatible with the EOS M - sorry can't remember where

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.