Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
31 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

After 10 yrs of using DSLRs my Canon 60D hardly sees any use, due to its bulk.
I am thinking of going with the Panasonic G 5.
Has anyone got one of these or any other recommendations?
The Olympus OMD 5 doesn't appeal due to its price or appearance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm a M4/3 convert - or rather, I'm getting there. I have a G3, GF1 and LX3. The last, of course, is not M4/3, but the image quality is stunning. It's the camera I take on holiday - see my portfolio for some recent examples (ignore the "snail" image: it's crap, and doesn't do the LX3 justice).

There is no doubt that M4/3s are much, much easier to lug about, compared to DSLRs and their associated lenses, and they do deliver amazing images. I still have two DSLRs - a 350D and a 40D, the former with a 28mm f2.8 prime and the latter with a 17-40L. I don't use them much - but would I get rid? Not sure. Not at the moment, perhaps. (But if I don't sell them soon, they'll be worth zilch!)

Anyway, if you've got some money to burn, try the M4/3 cameras for size (no pun intended). Panasonic produce some of the best, as, of course, do Olympus, Sony, etc. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I'm quite sure about that.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

The G5 is a pretty good camera, if you like the DSLR shape and built in viewfinder.

The best sensors though only come with the GH3, latest Pens and the OMD.

They main thing you will have to decide on is the IS, Panasonic is lens based and therefore limiting and Olympus is inbody so all lenses are supported.

The other factor is wireless flash support, again this is still pretty limited to the Panasonic bodies, but all Olympus camera`s support this feature.

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

I have the GX1 which has the same sensor as the G3, and the G5 s supposed to be a step up from there - reviews comparing the G5 and OM-D show barely half a stop difference in image quality. If it was not for the G6 coming out next month I would probably have a G5 in my bag right now. I prefer the ergonomics of the Panasonic range but the Oly in-body image stabilisation sure is tempting for my Leica lenses.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

There is a rumoured Gx type camera with a built in viewfinder on the way.

MichaelMelb_AU
1 Jun 2013 - 12:09 AM

If you wish for a replacement that will annoy you least when compared to EOS60D - go for OM-D. And if you are after performance level close to 60D - that would be one of Nikon V cameras. What camera do you use most often at the moment?

Paul Morgan
1 Jun 2013 - 12:37 AM

compared A Nikon CSC will not even come close.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 1 Jun 2013 - 12:39 AM
MichaelMelb_AU
1 Jun 2013 - 12:59 AM

Compared fairly Nikon is close enough, and the camera is not a sensor alone. There is no substitute to Nikon's phase detection autofocus in Olympus or Panasonic 4/3s at the moment. This feature, while not deciding with still life and landscape shooting, becomes vital with sports and wildlife imaging. That's why I ask OP about current camera use.

MichaelMelb_AU

Add-on:
I just reviewed images in your gallery. Love the one with arboretum pond!And it looks to me like OM-D will be just right for you. Yes, it is expensive - but when looking for the camera that you will use a lot and for long, you will save a lot by buying the best you can possibly afford.

Paul Morgan
1 Jun 2013 - 2:11 AM

Quote: Compared fairly Nikon is close enough

The two are worlds apart, and there is no system with the Nikon, just a very small handful of lenses.

Paul Morgan
1 Jun 2013 - 4:33 AM

I would be looking at the EPL5 twin lens kit, including the 14-42mm, the 40-150mm, the flash Air SD card and a bag.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-g5-black-digital-camera-b...

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 5:05 AM

The OM-D all the way, it's a no-brainer. Panasonic have excellent kit, and the Olympus EPLs and EPM series are nice cameras, but you will regret not getting the OM-D. Not just because I have one, but because it's the best of the lot, with enough panache, whatever that is, to drag lots of pros over to MFT.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jun 2013 - 9:22 AM

Well I'm sold after yesterday's little foray with the Pen EP1 down at the Bath and West Show.......Keep an eye out for a whole raft of Canon gear that will be up for grabs in the classifieds over the next few days!........I'm fed up with having a bad back and having to lump all the Canon kit around. I'll still be keeping a Canon 50d body for using the MP-E 65mm lens for my stacking work, but everything else will be up for grabs as I'm going to invest in the OM-D myself now!.........Never thought I'd ever hear myself say it, but there you go! Tongue

steve_p
1 Jun 2013 - 6:07 PM

Thanks for your comments, Just got back from my Hols, took my Tz20 which gave me pretty good results. I am quite familiar with the way Panasonic menus work. This is why I've gone towards the G5.
My main interests are Landscape and Architecture, plus the occasional Grandkids photos.

steve_p
2 Jun 2013 - 5:17 PM

Been to try out the OM-D today far too fiddly control buttons for my liking- general menu layout is OK, obviously something I would think is something I could get used to but not the buttons, my fingers are too stubby!!
Had a look at a G5 but couldn't try it as the battery was flat and the retailer couldn't be bothered to charge it up for me!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.