Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 8:17 PM

The OMD handles a whole lot differently with the grip fitted, not quite sure how a G series camera can be any better, I use both.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jun 2013 - 8:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 8:46 PM

Agree absolutely Paul, without the full grip I struggle to use the EM-5 (thought I'd made a dreadful mistake having traded a lot of my canon gear to buy it). With the grip (which stays on all the time) I actually find that I now prefer the handling of the EM-5 over canon (had the chance to shoot both for macro work last Thursday and couldn't get on with the 550D + 100 f2.8 macro - how strange was that! Wink )

Ade, good choice mate, I went this way for much the same reason, you will get frustrated at times to start with but stick with it and I think you will enjoy yourself.

I was just showing Pam my last series of macros from today and saying that I reckon I'm getting better results than I did with my 7D + 100 f2.8 LIS, which has really surprised me

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Ade, good choice mate, I went this way for much the same reason, you will get frustrated at times to start with but stick with it and I think you will enjoy yourself.

Looking forward to the challenge if I'm honest, they say a change is as good as a rest and I need a rest after lugging all the Canon kit around for years! Smile I've some of the gear I'm selling in the EPZ classifieds already. I haven't listed everything as yet as I don't know exactly just what I want to keep back for my stacking/studio kit I want to keep together, but I'm sure things like the macro-ring strobes and some of the studio kit will follow in time....

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 9:12 PM

I think you will enjoy it Ade, and the long term cost, weight and bulk saving.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2013 - 9:19 PM

Ade, the special Canon macro lens you have may be irreplaceable, but you might try the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens, which is 2 times life size when used on the MFT bodies. You'll have lots of fun researching your new kit, there's some great write-ups and video demos on the web. I learn much more from them than I do from the manual.

All the best,
Denny

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
2 Jun 2013 - 9:48 PM

Another vote in favour of the grip for the E-M5. I have both parts, and keep them attached permanently, and I really like the resulting handling - just enough of in increase in something to get a hold on, without adding too much in terms of overall size or weight.

All the best, Ade. I'm sure you'll enjoy exploring your new camera, as so many of us have. Smile

Paul Morgan
2 Jun 2013 - 11:44 PM

Although the G5 is not one of my favourites I thought it worth mentioning you can now claim a free 45-150mm Panasonic lens.

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-g5-with-free-h-fs45150e-k-telephot...

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2013 - 10:28 AM

Quote: Ade, the special Canon macro lens you have may be irreplaceable, but you might try the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens, which is 2 times life size when used on the MFT bodies

Already on order with the OM-D mate!!!......GrinGrinGrinGrin........I Always get my priorities right Wink

There is apparently a x5 macro lens that came in the Micro four thirds format made by some japanese company the name of which escapes me at the moment, but I know the boys from EPZ (Pete) reviewed it some time ago. It even had LED's built into the end of the lens so as to light the subject and whilst it looked like an interesting idea, I don't think I was overly impressed with the quality when compared with the MP-E 65mm Canon alternative, but who knows I may have another look now Tongue
Just found the EPZ review for it, look HERE if interested! Don't think I'll be selling all my Canon kit just yet Wink Although I may start having a play with a few of the x5 & X10 microscope objective lenses I have kicking around the place here as this seems to be what this x5 Japanese lens is based upon!

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 3 Jun 2013 - 10:40 AM
Paul Morgan
3 Jun 2013 - 5:24 PM

I can see why my review link got deleted, clashed with this new 60mm EPZ review that I had missed.

I wish people will tell you if there removing something, for a minute I just thought I`d forgotten to click the add button.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-60mm-f-2-8-macro-le...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 3 Jun 2013 - 5:24 PM
steve_p
steve_p  81094 forum posts England
3 Jun 2013 - 5:34 PM

Funny how this topic has changed into another advertising how good the OMD EM5 or whatever it's called.

Paul Morgan
3 Jun 2013 - 5:53 PM

You asked

Quote: Has anyone got one of these or any other recommendations?

And now you say

Quote: Funny how this topic has changed into another advertising how good the OMD EM5 or whatever it's called.

Lol unbelievable, it just happens a lot of us use the OMD, sorry we are not all using the G5, because I`m sure this is all your really interested in hearing about.

steve_p
steve_p  81094 forum posts England
3 Jun 2013 - 6:05 PM

Quote: You asked

Has anyone got one of these or any other recommendations?

And now you say

Funny how this topic has changed into another advertising how good the OMD EM5 or whatever it's called.

Lol unbelievable, it just happens a lot of us use the OMD, sorry we are not all using the G5, because I`m sure this is all your really interested in hearing about.

I only wanted to know if there was anyone who actually owned a G5 as it was something I was considering. The OMD is too expensive for me at the moment.I know how good the OMD is because everyone on here says so. Its academic now anyway -I'm keeping the Canon stuff till next year when I will look at it again!

mikehit
mikehit  46188 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2013 - 6:28 PM

If you want to try MFT the G3 can be had for 200, or for 250 with kit lens.

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Panasonic/Panasonic-G-System

If you decide to go for the G6/G7/G29 or whatever the model number is next year, the G3 will still make a good second body.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2013 - 6:30 PM

For Ade, an example of what the 60mm macro on the EM-5 is letting me capture, detail of a bee's tongue split into its component parts - something I have been trying for but haven't been able to achieve in about 8 years of bee macro work with my canon system (it could have course be nothing to do with the new system and just represent the fact that I have suddenly got better - but I don't think so Wink )

Shot hand-held at around 1/640th sec, this movement of the tongue is incredibly fast, hence there is still some movement blur, particularly in the last shot

bee-tongue-packing.jpg

bee-tongue-packing-detail.jpg

Cropped from the above larger image

bee-tongue-3-parts.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 3 Jun 2013 - 6:32 PM
RavenTepes
3 Jun 2013 - 7:44 PM

If it's size and bulk you're wanting to get rid of, why not just opt for the new Canon EOS 100D? From what I understand, it's roughly the size of a mirrorless, but with an optical viewfinder, rather than a EVF. Your lenses will mount, since you use Canon already, so that would get rid of the pesky problem of buying into a new system!

Last Modified By RavenTepes at 3 Jun 2013 - 7:45 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.