Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 3:51 PM

What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jul 2013 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 4:47 PM

Quote: What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.

You can use Olympus or Sigma lenses.

petebfrance
3 Jul 2013 - 5:07 PM

Quote: What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.

I assume you are aware that Olympus M4/3 cameras have sensor-based image stabilisation so their lenses do not have IS whereas Panasonic M4/3 cameras do not have sensor-based stabilisation so Panasonic lenses often have IS. Which, of course, means that if you want IS then don't use Olympus lenses (I don't know about Sigma) - limits your choice somewhat...

disclaimer - I believe this statement to be accurate, but if anybody wishes to correct it they are, of course, welcome...

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 6:19 PM

The Pan lenses I got with the camera say Mega OIS on them which I presume is image stabilisation, but there's no switch on the lenses to turn it on or off. It's done in-camera. Not sure if this is relevant or not. BlushGrin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote: The Pan lenses I got with the camera say Mega OIS on them which I presume is image stabilisation, but there's no switch on the lenses to turn it on or off. It's done in-camera. Not sure if this is relevant or not. BlushGrin

Those lenses use what is call optical in body stabilisation Chris, the IS is in the lens but its controlled from the body.

Quote: What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use

Any of these Chris, although it may not be completely up to date.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html

SlowSong
3 Jul 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Paul. Interesting. Bearing in mind what petebfrance said above, if I get a lens with IS in it do I have to turn off the IS in the camera?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 10:16 PM

The IS is only in the lens using Panasonic lenses Chris, its just that some Panasonic lenses have no on/off switch on the lens, the only way to control the IS is via a menu in the body.

Although petebfrance thinks Olympus IS is sensor based, its not sensor based, its real IS that is built into the body not the lens, and inbody IS gives you more options not less.

petebfrance
3 Jul 2013 - 10:46 PM

Quote: ....

Although petebfrance thinks Olympus IS is sensor based, its not sensor based, its real IS that is built into the body not the lens, and inbody IS gives you more options not less.

eh? I thought the Olympus IS was done by 'sensor shift.' Have I got it wrong, Paul?

Last Modified By petebfrance at 3 Jul 2013 - 10:46 PM
Paul Morgan
4 Jul 2013 - 12:14 AM

Sensor shift as in a digital effect ?

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
4 Jul 2013 - 7:33 AM

Sensor shift in the sense of physically moving the sensor, yes, which I think is what Pete meant. It's not done by digital manipulation of any kind.

petebfrance
4 Jul 2013 - 9:45 AM

enjoy:
Video of Olympus sensor shift image stabilisation

Actually, all I was trying to point out was:
1. Panasonic IS is in the lens, not in the body
2. Olympus IS is in the body, not in the lens

therefore:

Panasonic body (in this case the G5) plus Olympus lens = no IS

Last Modified By petebfrance at 4 Jul 2013 - 9:47 AM
Paul Morgan
4 Jul 2013 - 4:43 PM

Quote: Sensor shift in the sense of physically moving the sensor, yes, which I think is what Pete meant. It's not done by digital manipulation of any kind.

Yes I was having one of those thick moments Smile

Quote: Panasonic body (in this case the G5) plus Olympus lens = no IS

On the other hand you might have a Panasonic lens with no IS, but fitted to an Olympus body it will have IS Smile

Last night I got around at long last to hacking my GF2`s video using the Ptool program, it works like a dream Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Jul 2013 - 4:46 PM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
4 Jul 2013 - 7:54 PM

Quote: Yes I was having one of those thick moments Smile

I know the feeling. Sad

Smile

SlowSong
4 Jul 2013 - 10:11 PM

Quote: Yes I was having one of those thick moments

Par for the course with me. Blush I still don't geddit.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85867 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2013 - 10:20 PM

I met a togger at Prees Heath this morning, who had off loaded all his previous kit in favour of a 4/3rds, to save lugging loads of heavy kit about.
Unfortunately and in his words not mine, I can't get the decent butterfly macros I use to

When he asked why we were not carrying tripods and we explained we were all using Canon cameras with the 100mm IS he was gobsmacked, to such an extent he was talking about re-investing

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.