Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds


SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 Jul 2013 3:51PM
What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Jul 2013 4:47PM

Quote:What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.


You can use Olympus or Sigma lenses.
3 Jul 2013 5:07PM

Quote:What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use on the G5? Don't know anything about M4/3 equipment so I might have a look around at getting a little collection of useful items which don't appear in the Pan range.

I assume you are aware that Olympus M4/3 cameras have sensor-based image stabilisation so their lenses do not have IS whereas Panasonic M4/3 cameras do not have sensor-based stabilisation so Panasonic lenses often have IS. Which, of course, means that if you want IS then don't use Olympus lenses (I don't know about Sigma) - limits your choice somewhat...

disclaimer - I believe this statement to be accurate, but if anybody wishes to correct it they are, of course, welcome...
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 Jul 2013 6:19PM
The Pan lenses I got with the camera say Mega OIS on them which I presume is image stabilisation, but there's no switch on the lenses to turn it on or off. It's done in-camera. Not sure if this is relevant or not. BlushGrin
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Jul 2013 6:46PM

Quote:The Pan lenses I got with the camera say Mega OIS on them which I presume is image stabilisation, but there's no switch on the lenses to turn it on or off. It's done in-camera. Not sure if this is relevant or not. BlushGrin


Those lenses use what is call optical in body stabilisation Chris, the IS is in the lens but its controlled from the body.


Quote:What makes of lenses other than Panasonics can I use


Any of these Chris, although it may not be completely up to date.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 Jul 2013 10:04PM
Thanks Paul. Interesting. Bearing in mind what petebfrance said above, if I get a lens with IS in it do I have to turn off the IS in the camera?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Jul 2013 10:16PM
The IS is only in the lens using Panasonic lenses Chris, its just that some Panasonic lenses have no on/off switch on the lens, the only way to control the IS is via a menu in the body.

Although petebfrance thinks Olympus IS is sensor based, its not sensor based, its real IS that is built into the body not the lens, and inbody IS gives you more options not less.
3 Jul 2013 10:46PM

Quote:....

Although petebfrance thinks Olympus IS is sensor based, its not sensor based, its real IS that is built into the body not the lens, and inbody IS gives you more options not less.


eh? I thought the Olympus IS was done by 'sensor shift.' Have I got it wrong, Paul?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Jul 2013 12:14AM
Sensor shift as in a digital effect ?
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
4 Jul 2013 7:33AM
Sensor shift in the sense of physically moving the sensor, yes, which I think is what Pete meant. It's not done by digital manipulation of any kind.
4 Jul 2013 9:45AM
enjoy:
Video of Olympus sensor shift image stabilisation

Actually, all I was trying to point out was:
1. Panasonic IS is in the lens, not in the body
2. Olympus IS is in the body, not in the lens

therefore:

Panasonic body (in this case the G5) plus Olympus lens = no IS
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Jul 2013 4:43PM

Quote:Sensor shift in the sense of physically moving the sensor, yes, which I think is what Pete meant. It's not done by digital manipulation of any kind.


Yes I was having one of those thick moments Smile


Quote:Panasonic body (in this case the G5) plus Olympus lens = no IS


On the other hand you might have a Panasonic lens with no IS, but fitted to an Olympus body it will have IS Smile

Last night I got around at long last to hacking my GF2`s video using the Ptool program, it works like a dream Smile
mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
4 Jul 2013 7:54PM

Quote:Yes I was having one of those thick moments Smile

I know the feeling. Sad

Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
4 Jul 2013 10:11PM

Quote:Yes I was having one of those thick moments
Par for the course with me. Blush I still don't geddit.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2013 10:20PM
I met a togger at Prees Heath this morning, who had off loaded all his previous kit in favour of a 4/3rds, to save lugging loads of heavy kit about.
Unfortunately and in his words not mine, I can't get the decent butterfly macros I use to

When he asked why we were not carrying tripods and we explained we were all using Canon cameras with the 100mm IS he was gobsmacked, to such an extent he was talking about re-investing

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.