Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2013 - 10:42 PM

Quote: When he asked why we were not carrying tripods and we explained we were all using Canon cameras with the 100mm IS he was gobsmacked, to such an extent he was talking about re-investing

Not all M4/3 camera`s are the same, some are better for macro than the others.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jul 2013 - 10:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p
steve_p  91098 forum posts England
6 Jul 2013 - 10:59 PM

It's a different game now , was Canon v Nikon , now it's going Panasonic v Olympus! Everyone to their own brand choice. The OMD seems to be the favourite on here, as it would seem to be the best M 4/3rds in everyone's opinion. However I've had my Lumix G6 for a couple of weeks and I am pleased with my choice. I just didn't like the OMD when I tried it out. The best camera is the one you will make use of, surely.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2013 - 11:06 PM

Quote: The best camera is the one you will make use of, surely

Exactly Smile

Steppenwolf
8 Jul 2013 - 2:50 PM

Quote: I met a togger at Prees Heath this morning, who had off loaded all his previous kit in favour of a 4/3rds, to save lugging loads of heavy kit about.
Unfortunately and in his words not mine, I can't get the decent butterfly macros I use to

When he asked why we were not carrying tripods and we explained we were all using Canon cameras with the 100mm IS he was gobsmacked, to such an extent he was talking about re-investing

That's strange. Firstly the smaller sensor usually makes it easier to get a decent macro shot because of the greater DOF, so I wouldn't expect the M4/3 to have problems here. Secondly most camera manuals tell you to turn off IS if you're doing macro because it doesn't really help - partly because it can do nothing about changes in camera to subject distance. In any case the M4/3 system has IS that works as well as anything Canon have got.

Paul Morgan
8 Jul 2013 - 3:54 PM

The new IS system of the OMD and now the new EP5 is superb combined with the Pany 45mm or Olympus 60mm macro lenses.

The choice of CSC body is just as important as lens choice for macro.

mikehit
mikehit  56531 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 4:32 PM

Quote: That's strange. Firstly the smaller sensor usually makes it easier to get a decent macro shot because of the greater DOF

You get the same DOF using a 60mm macro on the MFT as 60mm macro on APS-C

Quote: Secondly most camera manuals tell you to turn off IS if you're doing macro because it doesn't really help - partly because it can do nothing about changes in camera to subject distance. In any case the M4/3 system has IS that works as well as anything Canon have got.

The Canon 100mm macro on the 7D has translational IS as well at macro distances so it has advantages - having said that, the main IS function drops from 4-stop effectiveness to barely 2-stop effectiveness. But I agree that in most situations the MFT should be just as good (Brian does not seem to have any problems there). Maybe some people find the additional weight of a Canon system adds a level of steadiness?

Steppenwolf
8 Jul 2013 - 4:49 PM

Quote:
You get the same DOF using a 60mm macro on the MFT as 60mm macro on APS-C

Of course, but the equivalent lens on the MFT would be 48mm - or if you were still using a 60mm you'd be further away to get the same framing, so the DOF will be greater. This is a can of worms though.

Quote: The Canon 100mm macro on the 7D has translational IS as well at macro distances so it has advantages - having said that, the main IS function drops from 4-stop effectiveness to barely 2-stop effectiveness.

That's interesting - I hadn't heard of this and it looks like a good feature. I doubt that many people have this lens though (?).

Paul Morgan
8 Jul 2013 - 5:35 PM

Quote: Maybe some people find the additional weight of a Canon system adds a level of steadiness?

On the other hand the smaller bodies and lenses can get you into tighter spots, like most things its all swings and roundabouts Smile

And its easier to hold the camera in one hand leaving the other free to aid balance, hold a reflector, etc, etc.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 8 Jul 2013 - 5:44 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110306 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quote: The Canon 100mm macro on the 7D has translational IS as well at macro distances so it has advantages - having said that, the main IS function drops from 4-stop effectiveness to barely 2-stop effectiveness. But I agree that in most situations the MFT should be just as good (Brian does not seem to have any problems there). Maybe some people find the additional weight of a Canon system adds a level of steadiness?

Having come from the 7D + 100 f2.8LIS to the EM-5 with 60mm f2.8 maybe I can put in my two-pennorth.

Both system are superb for macro work and it was the canon combo that convinced me hand-holding with my modified AF + manual rocking technique was the way to go for me for macro shooting

The results I'm getting from my Olympus set-up do, in my case, exceed those I was getting from the canon but I am convinced that is in part a consequence of the lower weight fitting in with my reduced physical abilities (I was finding event the 7D / 5Dmk2 + 100 LIS a real pain to use - literally)

On the other hand Mike's point about the extra weight is interesting as I found the inertia of the longer canon "L" lenses resting in my left hand made me much steadier when shooting birds in flight. With the 75-300 Oly its so light I have to really think about using my left hand to stop the lens waving about the sky (which I didn't with the 300 f4LIs or 70-300 LIS, they just seemed to nestle in my hand which tracked the birds without me thinking about it. If only they didn't weigh so much! Sad )

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2013 - 4:53 AM

Having celebrated my 78 years on this earth a few days ago I must admit that my DSLRs with battery packs fitted are hanging a bit heavy around my neck now. Never noticed it before - maybe it's all in the mind?

I did look at Micro4/3s a while ago but the cost was well out of my budget. However, I recently saw an Olympus E-P1 + 14-42mm kit at a very (to me) attractive price. It is now hopefully being delivered Tuesday next week (from an epz advertiser).

I have read reports of slow focusing - well, maybe, we shall see. However, the stuff that I photograph is mostly stationary, and does not move very fast if, and when, it does get going! Smile

Nevertheless, it is a preliminary excursion into the world of M4/3s and we will see we get on with it.

Keep smiling Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 3 Aug 2013 - 4:55 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2013 - 5:05 AM

Congratulations Jas, you'll like it. One thing about it that is convenient is the IS built into the camera, so whatever lens you use will be stabilised.

I seem to remember you mentioning you have some old lenses; they'll work well on that body with cheap adapters off ebay or amazon, at least any primes should be fine.

Happy 78th, btw, I had no idea you were up in those numbers. Keep yourself busy, and think pleasant thoughts.Smile

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 3 Aug 2013 - 5:06 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2013 - 1:20 PM

Belated happy birthday, Jas. Smile

Pleased to hear you've made the transition to M4/3. Let us know how you get on with it.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2013 - 2:25 AM

Nice to hear from you Denny. Smile

Belated happy birthday to you too, CB Grin

I am trying to source a pop up shade for the E-P1. I have sourced one for the E-P2 - a lug on top of the shade clips into the flash shoe to secure it.
Do you know if the E-P2 shade will fit the E-P1?

Cheers!
jas

Paul Morgan
4 Aug 2013 - 2:38 AM

As in lens shade Jas, what size filter threads are on your lenses.

keith selmes
4 Aug 2013 - 11:15 AM

For the LCD surely ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.