Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

ChrisV 8 886 26 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2013 1:38PM

Quote:ChrisV - I have just bought this here

On my screen it measures 4" long and 3" deep i.e. 4/3

Will let you know how I get on with it.
jas

Thanks Jas - just ordered one for my GX1 - I presume it wouldn't be suitable for something with a flip-out LCD?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

20 Aug 2013 7:37PM
It sticks to LCD - would not be a lot of use for a flip up LCD i.e.'waist level' viewing.

However, for the 'flip and twist around' LCD there was a shade which attached by an elastic loop around the body of the LCD. This shade is actually a small hood which shades all four sides of the LCD when fitted. May be some use in the 'waist level' mode.
31 Aug 2013 5:38PM
Alas not a very good exeperience with this. Mine eventually arrived Thursday after a prod in the very nick of time before I departed for Italy.

The first thing I did was to remove the highly reflective plastic screen, noting how flimsy the construction was. The clip on folding mechanism that attaches to the stick on frame came away almost immediately. I had the GX1 around my neck today and during a long, but very steady stroll it fell off four times. The last of these saw one of the lateral wings separate from the rest and when I inspected it back at the hotel room one of the very thin plastic lugs was gone - meaning it wouldn't reassemble. It may well work minus the reflective screen, but it needs very careful handling. Unless you're going to keep your camera in a case when not in use (and then be very careful), I'd strongly advise steering clear of one of these.
31 Aug 2013 6:23PM
I was about to enquire how you got on with yours.

Before assembling it to the camera I removed the thin film covering from the back of the flip-up frame. This left the frame and screen protector in place but baring the adhesive on the frame. I had no problem then in attaching it to the camera back.

Mine worked well on the first outing. On the second outing the flip-up lid complete, with its subframe, fell off the main frame that attached to the camera. This I was able to clip back into the main frame

On the last outing, a couple of days ago, the flip-up part fell completely to pieces leaving the main frame part, with the protective screen, still on the the LCD surround.

I am leaving this part on, at least it gives protection against finger marks which can be easily wiped off without affecting the actual LCD screen.

I regret buying it and furthermore mentioning here in this thread.

I will make one from stiff black card with four sides and attach it the the camera with elastic loops passing over and around the camera body.
31 Aug 2013 8:12PM
Don't worry about it Jas, we live and learn - the starting process for us both was identical, but I'd already fitted a protective (non glare) film to the back of my camera. At least you've confirmed it's not just me! I've mentioned all this in a message to the vendor (actually a follow-up to my enquiry as to where it was - I thought I wouldn't get it before my trip.

GX1 is not my prary travel camera now however as I bought myself a G6 just ahead of my trip - the bundle with the new 14-140 with a deal too good to miss. Subject for another thread I think...
c40uk 1 82 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 5:22PM
thinking of changing myself , im liking the gh3 because of the weather proofing , but its not loads smaller than a 50d i have , but i`m thinking with the 14 -140 lens i have a camera that will do all i need in one package . only thing i`m thinking as well is , cause its now a old model in the world of cameras ect , is will they be bringing out a upgrade on the gh3 anytime soon ?. hence me thinking of holding out a bit and getting one a a bargin price .
14 Oct 2013 11:24PM
Well, two months with Pen 1 - how do I like it so far? Quite happy with the pictures taken with it. My main concern is that in holding it I find that the settings keep changing inadvertently due fingers, thumb whatever accidentally pressing on the small, closely spaced buttons on the back of the camera body.

I guess that is a price to be paid if you want compactness and multi-features.

Does anybody make a hand grip for it, similar to the battery grips?
15 Oct 2013 10:36AM
In a way this thread is largely irrelevant.
Surely what is being discussed a photographers future needs rather than a photographers past needs Smile
As we get older we tend to be less prepared to carry bulk and weight - it is a fact of life.
When we are younger we tend to want the best - which in the sense of image quality is medium format digital first (which very few can afford), 24x36, 24x36 crop sensors, and below these 4/3.
4/3 has become viable because it is close to where 24x36 was 5 years ago, though it is not where 24x36 or 24x36 crop sensors are now for image quality.
Some new technology such as improved AF is coming first in 4/3 and Olympus have diffraction reducing software more likely to be needed with smaller apertures on 4/3.
Generally 4/3 tends to be much smaller and less expensive for a range of commonly used angles of view, though 4/3 comes unstuck if you are seriously into macro, long telephoto work, sports (most does not have a real time electronic viewfinder) and creating narrow depth of field.
As has just been said there is no one perfect camera for everything. Choosing what is best for your photographic future is personal choice.
What I found interesting was at Digital Splash the number of visitors at the Nikon and Canon stands exceeded the numbers at the four 4/3 camera stands combined by 4:1 - which indicates relatively little interest by advanced photographers in 4/3.
As to where 4/3 will be in 5 years is speculation but with Olympus seeming now committed to micro 4/3 rather than 4/3 and rather a lot of new entrants with incomplete systems for the likely size of the market I forecast some 4/3 casualties.
15 Oct 2013 2:25PM

Quote:In a way this thread is largely irrelevant.

Most threads are - eventually if not sooner! Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
15 Oct 2013 6:56PM
In terms of image quality M4/3 cameras are currently well ahead of what was considered acceptable from full-framers a few years ago.

The difference is not as much as you might think, even against current full-framers. Article .

That said, the market for ALL types of cameras seems to be shrinking with the relentless advance of the camera phone/smartphone.

Convenience is now king.......... not quality.
16 Oct 2013 7:27AM

Quote:In terms of image quality M4/3 cameras are currently well ahead of what was considered acceptable from full-framers a few years ago....

You are joking, right? My "antique" EOS10D (APS-C) in colour and noise department looks better in reasonable ISO range (100-800) than 2y.o EOS550D (APS-C) . Full framer would be even further up. But that depends on image quality definition. If looking specifically at image resolution and noise at high ISO (800+) then yes, the progress of sensor technology ( and even more supporting electronics and image processing software) is certain.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
16 Oct 2013 9:20AM

Quote:In terms of image quality M4/3 cameras are currently well ahead of what was considered acceptable from full-framers a few years ago.

The difference is not as much as you might think, even against current full-framers. Article.

That said, the market for ALL types of cameras seems to be shrinking with the relentless advance of the camera phone/smartphone.

Convenience is now king.......... not quality.

Apart from the point that Michael in Melbourne has already commented upon, there are two basic problems with what you say.

Firstly, you provide a link to an article by someone who, as far as I am aware, has no established credibility whatsoever. That is, of course, one of the serious problems with the internet - a lot of stuff is published by folk with no qualifications in the field and that has not been properly peer-reviewed prior to publication.

Secondly, as to whether convenience or quality is king is very much a matter of horses for courses. Some people place a high value on convenience; others place an equally high value on quality (however that is defined). 'Twas always so - e.g. 127 pocket cameras against TLRs.

And I think what we have here is a very long-running discussion thread with those who like apples (with justification) arguing against those who prefer oranges (with equal justification).
16 Oct 2013 1:08PM
The difference in high ISO performance between the cameras in the article was almost exactly what I would have expected - about two stops in the Nikon's favour, particularly if you were to downsample the image size to that of the OMD. But the D800 is optimised for resolution, not high ISO performance. The D4, D1x etc would probably return better results particularly at the very top of the OMD's range.

Some like apples, some like oranges. Like most people I like both and sometimes only an orange will do and other times an apple is what the doctor ordered. What i can't understand is this tendency to pick a side and denigrate anything and anyone not in the same club. Cameras are merely tools.

Most of the time [not all] I'm carrying m4/3 gear around with me. I'm aware of the compromises and they either don't impact for much of the time, or where they do I'm prepared to live with that. Again most of the time, if there are any shortcomings in my images it's usually down to me and not the equipment I'm using.

I guess like a lot of people on these forums, age is creeping up on me and I'd rather save my back for more enjoyable pursuits than lugging gear. All cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, it's just unrealistic not to acknowledge that.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
16 Oct 2013 1:57PM
...but just read the first notices of the Sony A7R. Will that become a game changer? A 36Mp full-frame Compact System Camera.

An Apple/Orange hybrid?

16 Oct 2013 2:40PM
I think they're missing the point a bit. Whilst Oly and Panny have made their top end cameras larger to be more ergonomic, there's still almost the same overall weight saving when you factor in the lenses. If I have a lens in my kit bag that weighs 4kg, I'm not massively bothered about saving maybe 400g on the camera weight.

I do applaud the fact they're always looking at different approaches and I'm sure the technology they lead in will eventually make its way to more practical applications - I just don't think this is it [I've gone into more detail on the A7 thread].

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.