Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Change from DSLR to M 4/3 rds

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Mar 2014 1:20AM

Quote:Thanks coast Smile Good time for the Manchester 52. Pedal to Paris, something like that could be in the plan for next year.

On cameras I think you are correct in how I should view the EM10.

For me I find it gives the best of both, good in place of a compact provided it is fairly small, and good as a replacement for a DSLR.

What ever we use there will always be some compromise somewhere, all that really matters is that we use something that is right for our own needs.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV e2
8 889 26 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2014 12:39PM

Quote:What ever we use there will always be some compromise somewhere, all that really matters is that we use something that is right for our own needs.

Spot on - I haven't completely abandoned my FF 5DII (but don't use it all that often). I have sold off all my Canon APSc gear and EFs lenses and bought heavily into m4/3, as their balance of IQ/portability hits a sweet spot for me.

I've recently bought the impossibly small GM1 as my carry-everywhere camera. Further compromises there of course in terms of ergonomics and no scope for a VF [unless you jerry-rig something for fixed FL I suppose] or external flash/control. But it really is only the size of a compact [and I like the fact that that's how it would probably be perceived - useful in some situations], whereas the IQ is a rival to much larger cameras even in low-light. Add to that I can fit most of my other lenses to it and it's a very useful addition to my panoply.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Mar 2014 5:58PM
I`m actually very tempted by yet another GF2 Smile the body only is less than 100, once hacked the video comes very close in quality to the Canon 5D11 and just a little behind that of the GH2, it will not be used for stills.
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
4 Jun 2014 2:51PM
I started this topic a year ago, I was interested to get people's views. I bought a Lumix G6 to replace my Canon 60D- because it was a bit heavy and bulky.
After a year of use, the G6 turns in good results, I used it at my stepdaughter's wedding- most pictures were excellent. No complaints there then.
But I feel there is something "missing"- I didn't quite know what.
I found out because I was killing a bit of time in my local Currys!! I picked up a Canon 700D and I found it felt "at home" in my hands. I know its a lower end spec model but its not as big or heavy as the 60D was. The 18-55 STM kit lens gets pretty good reviews.
I feel as though I might be tempted back to the DSLR!!
4 Jun 2014 3:04PM
I know what you mean by a camera feeling at home in your hands. I have a G6 and have tried out a couple of other M43 in shops and always feel they are a bit small having come from a D7000. That's why I am saving my pennies to get a GH4. I love the weight of the lenses and the EVF of M43, but don't really find a very small format suits my hands.
7 Jun 2014 10:04PM
I go along with the Olympus guys. I bought a second hand PEN-1 a couple of years back to try out the system - I have not used my DSLRs since.

I am now awaiting delivery of a new E-LP5 from Amazon - see the epz review.
28 Jul 2014 11:40PM
Six weeks on and I am well pleased with my Pen E-PL5. It overcomes the failings I had experienced with the Pen-1 i.e. somewhat slow on focus and trigger response.

Neither camera has let me down, however, in terms of picture excellence.

My one criticism is that the menu logistics seem even more incomprehensible!

I bow down to CB in admitting, at last, that the video capability is a great and worthwhile feature, having now been enticed into shooting some 'footage' Grin
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Jul 2014 11:53PM
These EPL5`s are selling at good prices now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.