Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Change is in the air - dog breeding

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 2:11 PM

http://dogbreedinginquiry.com/

The independent report, after Pedigree Dogs Exposed revealed to the public the true welfare and health costs of dog breeding - is now published.

Hopefully will give more teeth to tackle puppy farming (battery breeding), and educate potential buyers into thinking more about their purchases.

Sadly, Roy Hattersley mentions the 'post-christmas bargain' pups on the websites he visited when looking for a successor to Buster.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article6995319.ece

But pleased to see he found a new friend (rescue not backyard breeder!)

Lots of other good recommendations in the report - compulsory microchipping, and an independent body to oversee welfare.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2010 - 2:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

southsnapper
    21 Jan 2010 - 6:18 PM

Working in welfare and being a sceptic I don't think change is in the air.

For that to happen this government would need the motivation for it to happen and that motivation is just not there.

I've attended three annual seminars, at each on the agenda was a talk on the new changes to the animal welfare bill, each time the speaker has stood up and apologised that there was nothing to report because MP's haven't progressed the bill.

If you remember the Panorama documentary on fighting dogs and smuggling, it was revealed many of them were getting in to Britain via Ireland, the next day the then prime-minister of Ireland and Ian Paisley rang the USPCA and asked what was needed to be done to stop it, of course that phone call was widely reported in the newspapers, since then what has been done to improve the animal welfare act...... Nothing.

If the governbent could just implement compulsory micro-chipping that would go along way by making each and every dog at least traceable back to some one, although on the negative side it would also mean dumping a dog would not be an options other solutions would be found.

Last Modified By southsnapper at 21 Jan 2010 - 6:31 PM
    Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2010 - 8:59 PM

How depressing. But I can believe it. Recommending is still a long way from funding and implementing.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.