Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Charlie Waite Tonight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AlexandraSD
    28 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

I know this is very short notice, i only found out last night but Charlie Waite, THE Charlie Waite, will be giving a talk at the Wisbech Camera Club tonight, as part of the Wisbech Arts Festival (we have an arts festival? It appears we have Grin ).

Tickets cost a tenner, some still left, see details here

They do say we should never meet our hero's, but i am willing to take that risk, he has been my fav landscapist since i first saw his books Landscape, the story of 50 favourite photographs, and In My Minds Eye, seeing in black and white.

I am not sure if the guy is approachable or not, but i do have so many questions to ask him regarding his work, and i am obviously going to get him to sign one of his books that i own after the talk is done Smile

If your near Wisbech tonight, this is a rare opportunity, certainly for the WCC, most of the photographers who give talks there are so obscure, but everyone knows Charlie's work, and the man is a living legend as far as i am concerned. Bring on the trumpets Tongue

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

philh1963
    philh1963  2 United Kingdom
    28 May 2012 - 3:32 PM

did a course with him last year.fabulous guy and very friendly and approachable

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96227 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    29 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hope you had a good evening.

What was the theme of his talk ( his new book perhaps Wink )

AlexandraSD
    29 May 2012 - 1:13 PM

It was a wonderful evening, very entertaining, worth the 10 entry fee anyway Grin

The talk was centred around the idea that our subconscious mind is a great influence over photographic output, which we all know anyway. The first half was spent comparing images from his contemporaries to his own, and the second half more or less dissecting his images, and others, why they work, which bits niggles him. There were images from his new book, but he barely mentioned it, only half time when he was signing copies of it. I didnt buy one, got him to sign my fav CW book instead lol a bit cheeky i know, but ill buy his new book on amazon when the price eventually drops.

Certain images of his which flashed up on screen drew audible gasps of delight from the audience, the biggest "oooh's" and "ahhh's" came when he showed the image of the shed and country road covered in haw-frost, if you go on charlies site, its the first image that greets you. It is a cracking image i have to say, stunning. Based on these gasps of delight, id say that the majority of the audience were not overly familiar with his work, and some oik continued talking to her friend as the lecture began, which stopped abruptly when someone on the other side of the hall shouted "OI!" a bit too aggressively, did the trick though, she shut up rabbiting, not a peep from her afterwards lol

I have written a blog here on ePz but im not sure its any good, i wrote it with my eyes half open and my brain half asleep lol though Philh1963, i totally agree, he took the time to speak to everyone who approached him, shaking hands etc. Apparently his appearance was very last minute, not something which has been in planning for weeks and weeks, from what i can gather it was only arranged days prior to the event, but it was standing room only on the night, sold out, with people travelling from a fair few miles to see him. It took me a whole 3 minutes to walk there from my house so that was a bonus.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.