Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cheap Canon cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Simon-Gimson
31 Jan 2007 - 5:21 PM

hi all just found this site on ebay check it out
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet

cheap cameras

Si

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2007 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
31 Jan 2007 - 5:23 PM

(...Sound of a can of worms being opened)

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
31 Jan 2007 - 5:27 PM

Was thinking the same thing James.

Basically Simon they aint as cheap as they look. Canon Outlet is a known shill bidder (bids on their own stuff) Also some people pay crazy money cos it is a Canon shop i.e 10 less than new at times.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2007 - 5:28 PM

Did anyone hear the report on Shill Bidding this week - seems a whole host of sellers wouldn't dream of not Shiilin'......one reason you wouldn't find me near that glorified car boot sale.

Simon-Gimson
31 Jan 2007 - 5:29 PM

o ok just looked good to me

User_Removed
31 Jan 2007 - 6:22 PM

Interesting one to watch from the 'Shill-bidding' perspective... Popular camera and less than an hour to go!

Funny though; all of the 7 bids are from bidders called 'Bidder' (1,2,3, and 4)

How strange!

'-))

Snapper
Snapper  93736 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2007 - 6:32 PM

Mike

That is standard practice now whenever an item goes over a certain figure (100?). Standard wording as follows

Quote: As online shopping evolves, eBay continues to focus on preserving our marketplace's open and level playingfield whilst protecting our Community of members. We have decided to change how bid history information is displayed so unscrupulous people cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to see other bidder's User IDs on the listing page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, Bidder 2 etc.

If you go to the list of bidders and hover the mouse over View, a box pops up telling you the range of their feedback and how long they've been a member.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
31 Jan 2007 - 6:33 PM

Not strange, just Ebays stupid idea to hide bidding ID's on items over 100. This is a security measure to prevent them getting dodgy second chance offers from spammers.

Unfortunately it hides shilling as well.

User_Removed
31 Jan 2007 - 7:11 PM

I stand corrected Peter. An interesting concept but as Paul says, it will also 'mask' shillers too.

nickfrog
nickfrog  7333 forum posts
2 Feb 2007 - 10:19 AM

Someone here got a faulty 400d from them recently.

Mike Gray
Mike Gray  10382 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2007 - 10:31 AM

You can get a new one for 449,
So Canon must be laughing all the way to the bank selling a refurbished one for 430 and no middle man.

mpbphotographic
2 Feb 2007 - 10:32 AM

Interesting Read

nickfrog
nickfrog  7333 forum posts
2 Feb 2007 - 11:06 AM

There is a middle man. Canon are not selling direct. Canon outlet is not a part of Canon. Canon chose to use them to off load their returns.

mpbphotographic
2 Feb 2007 - 11:34 AM

Thats not my understanding. The Canon Outlet is Canon, but the operation is run by Digital River on behalf of Canon. It is still Canon selling direct, just through a distribution/e-services company.

I stand to be corrected though.

RichardN00
2 Feb 2007 - 12:40 PM

Interesting to look at the 'Bid Activity with this seller' the majority of the bidders seem to do a lot of business with this guy, either he's got a very faithful group of buyers or there's something 'interesting' going on.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.