Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cheap Canon cameras

Balb0wa 8 9
4 Feb 2008 5:01PM
id say its slim to say the least, i told the women on the phone, they have defiantely come from the outlet. And they were showing up in my ebay second chance offers.

she said they havent as they say the outlet isnt in the usa its in the uk, i said its registered as being in the usa in 2003, even though there uk and ireland based.

i said i wouldnt be able to neg you in 10 mins then if there not legit will i, she said no, lol. Ooops.

I know canon dont like being negged, they get square trade involved within a few weeks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

relgold 6 1
25 Nov 2008 4:35PM
WARNING * WARNING * WARNING

Canon-outlet scam.

I am in the process of buying a Canon 40D on ebay from Canon Outlet, via Digital River.

I've phoned Canon and worked backwards and this is a legitimate reseller of Canon refurbished cameras.

However try as I might I was unable to complete the transaction on ebay.in the usual Paypal or Credit card fashion.

Next day I received an email which I have since verified with Canon Outlet/ Digital River is A SCAM and they advised -

ON NO ACCOUNT PAY WESTERN UNION

It's truly amazing how this guy has set up some sophisticated scam but lets it all down by his poor use of business English, which has obviously nothing to do with a company like Canon. Here are his amateur emails:

From

atubes45@foxmail.com

With documentation to wire the money via Western Union receiving address:

Wallace Terlesky
108 Cromwell Road
London
SW7 5BD
United Kingdom

I had to leave urgently to England, where now I'm hard working to arrange some business. As you already know, I am unable to receive the payment by paypal cause I'm upgrading my account for a large business and due to their policies, the funds received in meantime can not be used, so if you pay by paypal you'll be refunded.

I can't estimate how long the upgrading process will take so I must send you another ebay invoice, cause the others you may already received were automatically generated. Also let me know if your shipping address still remains the same or provide the one where you want the item to be shipped (i.e. gift address). We only ship to Physical address.
----
Did you receive the new ebay invoice with the wire transfer payment via western union? If you received it, please follow their instructions and let me know the payment details once its done. As you can see, the invoice is free of charge shipping, meaning that I will cover the shipping costs. Also, the shipping process won't take more than 3 working days and it will start after the payment has been verified.

Do not forget to deduct half of the western union transfer cost from the total amount that you must send me, per eBay request.

------
Fortunately these both wound up in the Junk mail, which also helped raise suspicion.

----
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Nov 2008 4:51PM
Thanks for joining EPZ today just to tell us about this!

Not clear what has happened here. Are you saying you tried to buy from Canon Outlet's eBay shop but some sort of scam has led you to receive the email?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
25 Nov 2008 5:24PM
It is best to regard any money sent by Western Union as basically a no-strings-attached gift to the recipient! Wink
lgc 10 62 England
26 Nov 2008 3:54AM
I won a bid on a canon 40D this morning at 9.45am from this ebay seller, I had asked the seller a couple of questions yesterday and he hadnt replied.
I have previously been scammed buying a mobile phone on ebay in Brazil so the alarm bells were already ringing, I had sent a message to the seller telling them to ignore my bid and that I would not be completing the transaction. I recieved an email saying that it was a legally bound transaction, now I am definatly not going through with the transaction.
I have in the last two weeks also tried to purchase a used canon 40D from amazon and the seller sent me an email saying that she only sold books and that someone had hacked into her account, luckily my money was refunded.
I personally think if these websites cannot protect themselves from scams then they should be allowed to function on the internet.
As far as my Canon 40d is concerned I think I will be ordering one off either the warehouse.com or another reputable internet camera shop.
I definatly wont be taking any more risks with my money!!!!
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
26 Nov 2008 4:09AM
I have made 56 transactions on Ebay in the last couple months, and I learned very quickly; paypal only with verified address, no PO Boxes, and the seller's score has to be in the high 90's and they have to be experienced. Paypal is the only way to go.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 10:54AM
Agree - Canon Outlet on eBay are a great source of quality kit. I bought two 1Ds 2's from them a few years back when the camera was still commanding very high prices on the shelves. I saved about 2000 in all Smile
Terrym1 6 40 2 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 10:59AM
I have heard about this shop in the passed. There have been many complaints about the products. Check out there feedback its not good at all. Steer clear and pay a little extra to buy new. See the link >>

link
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Nov 2008 12:39PM
98.7% positive feedback on over 42000 transactions looks pretty good to me!
Terrym1 6 40 2 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 1:18PM

Quote:98.7% positive feedback on over 42000 transactions looks pretty good to me!

Would you place an order with them? Im sure I wouldn't!
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 1:29PM
Sorry Terry but I sumply cannot see what the problem is. As CB says, 42000 transactions and 98.7% satisfaction - most high street chains would kill to get that sort of approbation.

As I said before, I have bought 2 very expensive bodies form them plus other gear and I am nobody's fool believe me and wouldn't hesitate to buy again (if I ever went back to Canon that is Wink)
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 3:14PM
I have bought a couple of cameras off them, the price was good and the goods arrived OK. This sounds like a scammer jumping on the back of a legit trade item. The real outlet shop only takes Paypal or your credit card, and you should get to them through your Ebay account not EMAIL.
big fella 11 485 England
26 Nov 2008 9:31PM
Agree totally with Barrie; just picked up a 5D - so shiny I couldn't tell if it was re-furb or a damaged box one. Not a mark on it! Paid a little over 870. That is what 2nd hand ones are costing with 3-6 months warranty. Mine has a full 12month one. I have also had some P&S cameras from them as well as a couple of the selphy dye-subs; all in perfect nick without any problems with them, and very reasonably priced.

;0)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.