Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cheap cards

patters 10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2011 10:35PM
Dunno if this is good or not, but I just bought 4. SanDisk 8GB Extreme at warehouse express are 29 squid, 12.99 at amazon at the mo

cheers
Patters

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
28 Aug 2011 11:06AM
As long as you bought them from Amazon itself, they should be OK. If, on the other hand, they were from a third-party reseller on Amazon's site, then they could possibly be fakes.
28 Aug 2011 4:02PM
Did anyone else buy any?
28 Aug 2011 5:13PM
Any feedback? As said, if Amazon no problem. They will always refund/return defective items but beware the "Marketplace". Amazon have no control over these sellers.

Having said that, SanDisk are SanDisk. Not sure how they could be fakes???
28 Aug 2011 5:49PM
None, I'll let you know, but then it will be too late my friends!
28 Aug 2011 7:28PM
I think you'll find it'll be absolutely fine.Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2011 11:41PM
Just bought a bunch of 4 gig sandisk SD cards from a high street store @ 6 each, does me Smile
29 Aug 2011 3:18AM
IMHO, it is better to spend on good cards. Your camera worth 2000 USD ain't no good if you put a 5 buck card into it. Capacity apart, it should meet or exceed the camera's read/write speed, in order to be good. Otherwise you are asking your camera to be on a constant standby to finish I/O.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
29 Aug 2011 10:07PM
I've used Sandisk Extreme and Extreme III, no problem.
29 Aug 2011 10:49PM
I just realised its the same card as I currently have (but twice capacity), seems a bit slow, so, is compact flash always faster then?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Aug 2011 12:21AM
Cards are given a rating/class, the higher it is, the faster it is.

Its probably why they were so cheap Smile

I struck lucky, the cards I picked up cheaply were faster than I expected, class 4, class 2 would have done me Smile

1-class.jpg

30 Aug 2011 8:03AM

Quote:so, is compact flash always faster then?

That used to be the case, but not anymore. SD cards these days are as fast or faster.
30 Aug 2011 8:08AM

Quote:Cards are given a rating/class, the higher it is, the faster it is.

This is not correct!

Class rating of a card is an indication of its read/write speed. It should ideally indicate the read/write speed of a card. But in practice, it is just a classification done by the manufacturer. There is no guarantee it will meet the rating given by the manufacturer.
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
30 Aug 2011 9:08AM
Is the class rating not the min speed and not max speed? Paired with the x speed rating of original cd write speed?
30 Aug 2011 10:20AM

Quote:Is the class rating not the min speed and not max speed? Paired with the x speed rating of original cd write speed?

No, its not so. A Class 4 card from Kingston gives me about 2.5 MBPS of write speed. A Class 4 card from Panasonic gives me about 6.5 MBPS of write speed.

Class rating of a card is a mere indication, not a guarantee of performance.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.