Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cheap ND 10 filter ?

widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
31 Aug 2012 11:04PM
Hi everyone my brother sent me down some welders glass which apparently makes for a cheap (free) filter whats the word on the epz street on this and whats the best way to use it cos i just love dry ice lol mmm can i reverse the lens hood and stick the glass to it with something like blue tak ? any dour Scots oot there tried this or indeed any of my British friends eg tight Yorkshiremen lol Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2012 11:48PM
I'm neither!
I used one on a lens with a scalloped hood. I turned the hood round and used 2 rubber bands which hooked round the petals. As long as its in contact with the rim of the lens, no stray light can get in the side and cause flare.
Make a little cover for the eyepiece if you don't have a built in one, as the extra light can cause exposure errors.

It can be quite hard to get rid of the colour cast completely, but I have used one ok. Shoot RAW and you will have more adjustment at the processing stage, or use it as black and white.
You might be able to get a colour filter to counteract the colourcast. My filter was a strong green/yellow.

Experimentation is the key!
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 9:28AM
experiment with the white balance to adjust some of the colour cast then do the rest in PS or similiar.
good advise from sooty.

Ian
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 9:55AM
Dry ice, LOL. Go for it Smile
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
1 Sep 2012 5:27PM
Yup will do, gonna go out Monday and try some shots but will probs stick to B/W ive tried the rubber band technique and its seems to work . Aye Big Bri glad you got that, too many snobs oot there wi their heids up their erses !!!Wink
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
1 Sep 2012 5:28PM
And thanks for your suggestions i just love dry ice LOLSmile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Sep 2012 8:09PM

Quote:Cheap ND 10 filter

Use no filter at all, take a series of pictures then stack them.
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 1:32AM
are you off your medication tonight Paul?

Terry.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2012 1:36AM
No Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.