Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cheap yet strong tripod suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 2:57 PM

I'm after a good set of iron rods welded to a lump of iron - that should be fairly solid and pretty cheap right?

Ok jokes aside but I don't think my 055XPROB tripod legs and Junior Geared head are quite suited to holding the Mamiya fully stable, esp when I start adding extension tubes. I'll work with it for now because its all I've got, though I'd be interested to know if there are any older, solid legs brands/makes that would be more well suited to holding this kind of heavy setup; esp since it seems that older heavier legs tend to depreciate a lot second hand..

know this means that long with the tonne of a camera the legs will be a hefty weight as well, but I've simply not the budget to put toward a serious set of legs for this alone (though I've plans for a serious set of Gitzo legs but that focuses on being light weight whilst also supporting a long telephoto DSLR setup - might be well suited for the mamiya as well but with a much higher cost its a way down the purchase list).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Oct 2011 - 2:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 3:55 PM

Secondhand is the way to go. Older Manfrotto and larger ball head or even an old Benbo if you want to get into some more awkward places.

I have an older Manfrotto for my MPP large format and that is plenty steady.

Nick

User_Removed
    6 Oct 2011 - 6:42 PM

Alex,

When using the Mamiya RB67, I used an old Slik 88. You should find them on eBay for around 40-60.

Very sturdy albeit a wee bittie heavy.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Oct 2011 - 6:43 PM
    User_Removed
    6 Oct 2011 - 6:53 PM

Slik 88!!! There's a 'blast-from-the-past'!!!

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 7:01 PM

Slik 88 is no more sturdy than your Manfrotto though. I used the Manfrotto 055 to hold a Mamiya and it was fine...having said that I had a three way head which has less spring in it than the junior and I wasn't using tubes, but was shooting at slow speeds in outdoor windy situations etc. It even supported a Sinar Wolf (5x4 monorail) quite well.
    If you want rock solid go for a bigger Manfrotto or Gitzo - one with big chunky legs. Heavy to carry around though!

Last Modified By Pete at 6 Oct 2011 - 7:02 PM
    User_Removed
    6 Oct 2011 - 7:09 PM

Quote: Slik 88 is no more sturdy than your Manfrotto though. I used the Manfrotto 055 to hold a Mamiya

You may (possibly) be right about the 055 Pete, but I use both the Slik 88 and a Manfrotto 190CX and, while the Slik is as rigid as the Forth Bridge, by comparison the Manfrotto is like a willow wand swaying in the breeze.

I must confess I have been tempted by the 055CX but I would definitely go for the 3 rather than 4 section version. Can you guarantee that it will be as sturdy as the Slik88?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Oct 2011 - 7:10 PM
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 7:22 PM

I switched from Slik 88 to an 055. It was the original one they made and really solid certainly better than the Slik. The plastic locking part of the 88 can crack at the head after a lot of heavy use and that tiny support pin isn't as good as the hexagonal plate of the Manfrotto. Best thing to do is go into a retailer who has the Manfrotto in stock and try it. I don't want to be held to any guarantee Wink

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 8:00 PM

I`ve never been a big fan of tripods but replaced an old one last year with one of these, there pretty good for the price.

http://www.camlink.eu.com/products/tripods/professional/TPPRO28B.html

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    6 Oct 2011 - 8:36 PM

Second hand Benbo (not a trekker version) from as little as 30 with better stability than some 300 tripods new!

MarkBauer
    MarkBauer  4127 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 8:54 PM

I used a Pentax 67 on a Manfrotto 55 for years without any problems. I reckon the 410 head - which generally speaking is excellent - could be the weak link here. It's only rated to 5kg - which i imagine would have been tested under 'ideal' conditions - and at certain angles, I imagine could slip with your set-up. If you're using extension tubes, I'm guessing you're into macro, in whch case you probably appreciate the fine adjustments a geared head gives. The larger Manfrotto 405 geared head is rated up to 10kg and would probably do the job. Alternatively, a good ballhead - anything else will drive you nutty - from the likes of Arca Swiss, Markins or Really Right Stuff would more than handle it.

Regards,
    Mark

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 9:42 PM

Hmm encouraging points regarding the legs, if I can save there that is certainly something. Head wise however its more complicated - Mark I think your nabbed the specs for the Manfrotto Geared head rather than the 405 geared (which is only rated at 7.5KG). Sadly hitting at 500odd for the big geared head and a weight of 2.1KG its really pushing into overkill on price for this setup (I'm not against quality, but I'm not a big time MF shooter with this camera (as yet Wink) so such a big investment just isn't on the cards - barring for a scanner which is just cost-saving in the long run on processing costs).

As for an alternative head I must admit I didn't think of ballheads (head creep in macro was one big curse before I got the junior geared head). However what are peoples thoughts on the Acratech GV2 Head - its rated at 11.4kg which would seem good enough and it is a head I've my eye on for a general use head for my work so would really suit well if its up to the task.

MarkBauer
    MarkBauer  4127 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2011 - 10:38 PM

Not sure about the Acratech. I've never used one on a shoot, but did have a play with one a while ago, and wasn't that taken with it. They seem to cost about the same as an Arca Swiss Z1 (depending on which configuration of Arca) and given the choice, I'd take the Arca. Slightly heavier (which is probably better for you) though certainly not heavy, and with a much higher max load. What you have to remember with bullheads is that you'll need a much higher load rating than the weight if your kit, because when it's at angle, it's not the weight of the kit, but the torque applied.

thewilliam
    6 Oct 2011 - 11:12 PM

We have a set of Gitzo tripods of different weights and the largest/heaviest, where the head goes up to ceiling height, cost about a tenner from a charity shop.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.