Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cheapest Canon 5D body?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 9:03 PM

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a Canon 5D body only?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Aug 2007 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Aug 2007 - 9:12 PM

5D
imports through ebay etc etc may be cheaper

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Aug 2007 - 9:38 PM

Wow thanks Geoff, what a great site.
Seems Bristol Cameras do a good price, even with the £20 delivery.

Many thanks
Jules

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
1 Sep 2007 - 6:56 PM

Yes, good site although my advice - if you can stand it - is to wait for the likely release of the Canon 5d mkII (or 6d). This may have the happy effect of sending Camera Price Buster's 5d graph crashing Smile ....hope so!

Last Modified By jondf at 1 Sep 2007 - 7:02 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2007 - 7:54 PM

Quote: wait for the likely release of the Canon 5d mkII

This is not be for 6 months at the earliest, and could easily be 12 months or more away.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
1 Sep 2007 - 10:27 PM

Quote: mattw wrote: This is not be for 6 months at the earliest, and could easily be 12 months or more away

'Could' being the operative word. I guess that with the cult status it appears to enjoy, Canon might leave the 5d as is for some time yet. However, the creeping force driving the dslr market into the centre ground likely means an upgrade sooner rather than later.

mattw
2 Sep 2007 - 12:09 AM

Canon release new models spring and autumn - which is why I suggested '6 or 12 months' away.

From Canon's releases this year, we I suspect that we could see replacements for the 400D and 5D next year (assuming no new lines are added) - so it is a question of which one will we see in the spring, and which in the autumn?

The 5D is the oldest camera in the range now - but still has no direct competitors. The 400D will be 18 months old in spring 2008 - and remember that it's predecessors (300D and 350D were both replaced after 18 months)

So, we will have to see.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
2 Sep 2007 - 12:49 AM

Checking round on the net shows that 5d upgrade rumour was rife well over a year ago. 3d and 7d model variants were quoted. When the upgrade comes, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the lcd. A 3.5 inch would be good and a 4 inch better. The 400 quid saved on an Epson P5000 could then go towards the camera....or so theory has it.

Last Modified By jondf at 2 Sep 2007 - 12:52 AM
mattw
2 Sep 2007 - 1:28 AM

Quote: Checking round on the net shows that 5d upgrade rumour was rife well over a year ago. 3d and 7d model variants were quoted.

Oh yes - people predicted that the 5D would be replaced last year - then spring this year - then autumn this year... i think it goes to show that you should take the romours with a pinch of salt.

As for the feature set of the 5D replacement (when it arrives )- that will be interesting. I suspect that the 40D gives a glimpse of things to come - sensor cleaner, live view, 3.5 inch screen, some basic weather sealing, digic 3.

Will Canon push things further with an eye for possible competition from Nikon and Sony, or will they play it safe?

Last Modified By mattw at 2 Sep 2007 - 1:28 AM
johnmw
johnmw  1037 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2007 - 8:25 PM

Iím in the same quandary in that I would like to buy a 5D but I think I will hold on till the replacement comes out in the meantime I will hire one when the need arises.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
2 Sep 2007 - 10:38 PM

Quote: mattw wrote:take the rumours with a pinch of salt

Absolutely.....but isn't speculation great? Smile

Last Modified By jondf at 2 Sep 2007 - 10:39 PM
mattw
3 Sep 2007 - 5:05 AM

Quote: Absolutely.....but isn't speculation great?

Oh yes - absoutely. Espically when stuck in the office.

However the release of the update of this camera is really difficult to predict - you could be waiting for a while, and the current 5D is a very capable machine.

Firebaby
Firebaby  101204 forum posts Faroe Islands
3 Sep 2007 - 10:05 AM

Quote: However the release of the update of this camera is really difficult to predict - you could be waiting for a while, and the current 5D is a very capable machine.

Just my penny's worth, but my local Jessops won't sell me a 5D body only as it's been delisted from their system (pending it's replacement they said). They will, however, sell me a 5D with a EF24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for a penny under two grand.

Last Modified By Firebaby at 3 Sep 2007 - 10:06 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2007 - 10:15 AM

Quote: my local Jessops won't sell me a 5D body only as it's been delisted from their system (pending it's replacement they said).

Does that mean new one is coming?

Firebaby
Firebaby  101204 forum posts Faroe Islands
3 Sep 2007 - 10:21 AM

That's what I took it to mean. He didn't have any details though - only that their system has had the body only removed so that any Jessops store would now not be able to sell a 5D unless with the lens offered. He did say though that the web store might be able to sell one that I could collect from the store!.

Last Modified By Firebaby at 3 Sep 2007 - 10:21 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.