Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cheapest Canon 5D body?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2007 - 10:22 AM

Could just be a focus on max sales value.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Sep 2007 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Firebaby
Firebaby  101204 forum posts Faroe Islands
3 Sep 2007 - 10:27 AM

True, but I suspect there might be something in it. My man there's usually reliable.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2007 - 10:35 AM

It could just be Jessops being... well.... a bit 'jessops'.
They have simply decided to stop selling the 'body only' - but the kit (higher profit margine) is fine.
It could be that the demand is hight at the moment, or it could be stocks are running low or it could simply be that you will get a different answer at the other branch round the corner

Have you tried any other retailers

Last Modified By mattw at 3 Sep 2007 - 10:38 AM
ckristoff
ckristoff  9938 forum posts Wales
3 Sep 2007 - 12:36 PM

Friends,

I haven't got one myself, but from I witness from images uploaded to the gallery every day, the 5D is more than a capable machine. Almost makes you wonder what the replacement will be like.

I for one will bide my time with my lovely Eos 3, until the 5D's price comes tumbling down - my wife says so! Smile

Frank.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
3 Sep 2007 - 12:58 PM

Judging from comments on here, Canon don't have to upgrade what is still a sought after piece of machinery. That said, one thing's certain - technology will continue to drive the market so expect an upgrade soon. My 5d MkII predictions? -
1) All the improvements invested in the new 40D
2) Errr....that's basically it

jaspernina
3 Sep 2007 - 1:35 PM

Quote: Canon don't have to upgrade

Just because they don't have to, doesn't mean they won't. If they replace it, they can be assured that a certain number of current users would upgrade anyway, that's how they make their money.

Last Modified By jaspernina at 3 Sep 2007 - 1:35 PM
MeanGreeny
3 Sep 2007 - 2:00 PM

Basing the release of a major new Canon DSLR body release on the basis of a rumour from Jessops ?

Now that really is clutching at straws even if it turns out to be true.

Having said that, Canon have to be seen to be responding to the latest Nikon releases.

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 3 Sep 2007 - 2:01 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2007 - 2:07 PM

Quote: Having said that, Canon have to be seen to be responding to the latest Nikon releases.

they did not respond to the D200 for well over a year, so they may think they do not.

Firebaby
Firebaby  101204 forum posts Faroe Islands
3 Sep 2007 - 2:11 PM

No, not clutching at straws as much as the time frames about right, and I do buy a lot of stuff from this guy so I'd be surprised if he was simply trying to up the ante. But who knows eh?

scotty99
scotty99  8117 forum posts
8 Sep 2007 - 8:43 PM

I rang around in May for a 5D and Jessops told me that the 5d was now discontinued. They said that they only had 3 showing in all their stores in UK!! The discontinuation of the 5D was news to every other dealer I rang. I tended to believe warehouse express that it was far from discontinued. Its no wonder Jessops shops are shutting left right and center.

As to 5D's replacement, I would say next year sometime as 1D MKIII and 1DsmkIII have been introduced this year, so I would guess the 400D successor will surface along with the 5D replacement in 2008 which wouldn't be overshadowed by a any other full frame model or 1 series... IMO. In real terms 5D mkII wont be announced til spring 08 at least, add another couple of months to get your hands on one, you are looking at early summer. You could have the pleasure of 5D now may be?

regards scott

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2007 - 12:30 AM

Quote: They said that they only had 3 showing in all their stores in UK

Well I saw two in the cabinet at the Reading branch last weakend.

I agree with your other suggestions - however remember that Canon makes thier camera's in batches - and I bet that the 5D batch was completed some time ago. If the camera sells better than expected they could run out of stock before the replacement arrives.

Last Modified By mattw at 9 Sep 2007 - 12:33 AM
scotty99
scotty99  8117 forum posts
9 Sep 2007 - 1:09 AM

I'mmm, wonder where there keeping that third one...pickled in a jar like Walt Disney's head perhaps? lol

trackrecords
13 Sep 2007 - 5:32 AM

Dealers will love me for this: on eBay shops is the Canon Outlet where Canon UK 'offload' their repaired - or even just added a missing manual or cable - stock at VERY good prices. It is still an auction site, but they do come with the full 1-year manufacturer's warranty.
Who can say NO to an EOS 400D with 18-55 lens for 336 - close to a 150 saving!
An EOS 5D goes for around 1200 if you are lucky....

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2007 - 8:28 AM

I wouldn't touch Canon Outlet myself, but thats just me.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:09 PM

Dragging this thread back into the harsh light of day again - anyone have any further info on the upgrade from a 5D? The thoughts earlier were that spring 2008 might see the release of the 6D .. ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.