Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cheapest Canon 5D body?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:15 PM

Quote: Dragging this thread back into the harsh light of day again - anyone have any further info on the upgrade from a 5D? The thoughts earlier were that spring 2008 might see the release of the 6D .. ?

The rumours are thin on the ground but those floating around the net seem to favour the 5D replacement being in the Autumn rather than the Spring of 2008

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jan 2008 - 4:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:18 PM

There's a rumour mill going here.

Knowing the way Canon does these things, the Mk II version probably won't be worth upgrading to for Mk I owners (but the Mk III version may be).

E.g. Canon 20D -> 30D -> 40D

So, if you want a full-framer there's probably not much point delaying buying the current 5D. The Mk II will be a fair bit more expensive on launch.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 11 Jan 2008 - 4:20 PM
SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:20 PM

Thanks John

In that case I'll wait - I'm looking around for a good price secondhand 5D but will carry on with the old faithful 300D for the time being until people start to flog their 5Ds in favour of the upgrade. Learned my lesson the last time!

Thanks Carabosse - but I'm willing to wait. In fact in the meantime I'm probably better off buying some decent glass rather than forking out for a new body.

trots off to look at lenses ...

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 11 Jan 2008 - 4:22 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:21 PM

Yes there'll always be those who want to upgrade, even if the upgrade only offers one more bell and one more whistle! Wink

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:25 PM

Quote: So, if you want a full-framer there's probably not much point delaying buying the current 5D. The Mk II will be a fair bit more expensive on launch.

I am not so certain CB, the recent trend has been for them to drop to close to the same price within 3 months.

I would wait to see what the update is. I guess you can expect improved AF and liveview as a minimum, plus the chance of improved dynamic range.

Henchard
11 Jan 2008 - 4:25 PM

Off topic (but talking of people upgrading) the 1DS Mk3 received a pasting in a BJP review this week (so I'm told - I haven't read it); also some people are complaining of viewfinder misalignment. Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?

Last Modified By Henchard at 11 Jan 2008 - 4:27 PM
FatHandedChap
11 Jan 2008 - 4:32 PM

Quote: Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?

A camera or a copy of the BJP? Wink

Henchard
11 Jan 2008 - 4:34 PM

Quote: Quote:Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?A camera or a copy of the BJP?

More info on the review/alleged alignment problem.

randomrubble
11 Jan 2008 - 4:36 PM

Quote: the 1DS Mk3 received a pasting in a BJP review this week (so I'm told - I haven't read it)

Not quite. Having read it the gist seemed to be that the out of camera jpeg files were not great for 'critical use.' Sacrificing overall quality for resolution, apparently, perhaps a little oversharpened etc. No review of RAW performance and I tend to wonder how often images where quality is paramount are taken in jpeg?

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2008 - 4:38 PM

Quote: perhaps a little oversharpened etc

even if the profile is adjusted?

Carabosse
11 Jan 2008 - 4:42 PM

Shooting JPEG, instead of RAW, on a 1Ds Mk III?

Whatever would some people on here say? Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 11 Jan 2008 - 4:43 PM
theredbaron
16 Jan 2008 - 3:24 PM

I got a 5d refurb body from Canon/Ingram Micro on ebay for 876 inc P&P

INGOLDBYR
INGOLDBYR  11 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2008 - 4:41 PM

If you need to check camera equipment prices try www.camerapricebuster.co.uk It tracks prices and is worth checking before you buy. At the moment Park Cameras are cheapest at 1199 for a new body

ripleysalien
17 Jan 2008 - 8:03 AM

I have been told by a Canon pro dealer that There is no 5D replacement planned as yet.

Steve

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2008 - 8:41 AM

Quote: I have been told by a Canon pro dealer that There is no 5D replacement planned as yet.

Steve

Oh p**....I am waiting for 6D!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.