Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Cheapest Canon 5D body?

Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2008 4:15PM

Quote:Dragging this thread back into the harsh light of day again - anyone have any further info on the upgrade from a 5D? The thoughts earlier were that spring 2008 might see the release of the 6D .. ?

The rumours are thin on the ground but those floating around the net seem to favour the 5D replacement being in the Autumn rather than the Spring of 2008

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
11 Jan 2008 4:18PM
There's a rumour mill going here .

Knowing the way Canon does these things, the Mk II version probably won't be worth upgrading to for Mk I owners (but the Mk III version may be).

E.g. Canon 20D -> 30D -> 40D

So, if you want a full-framer there's probably not much point delaying buying the current 5D. The Mk II will be a fair bit more expensive on launch.
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
11 Jan 2008 4:20PM
Thanks John

In that case I'll wait - I'm looking around for a good price secondhand 5D but will carry on with the old faithful 300D for the time being until people start to flog their 5Ds in favour of the upgrade. Learned my lesson the last time!

Thanks Carabosse - but I'm willing to wait. In fact in the meantime I'm probably better off buying some decent glass rather than forking out for a new body.

trots off to look at lenses ...
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
11 Jan 2008 4:21PM
Yes there'll always be those who want to upgrade, even if the upgrade only offers one more bell and one more whistle! Wink
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2008 4:25PM

Quote:So, if you want a full-framer there's probably not much point delaying buying the current 5D. The Mk II will be a fair bit more expensive on launch.

I am not so certain CB, the recent trend has been for them to drop to close to the same price within 3 months.

I would wait to see what the update is. I guess you can expect improved AF and liveview as a minimum, plus the chance of improved dynamic range.
11 Jan 2008 4:25PM
Off topic (but talking of people upgrading) the 1DS Mk3 received a pasting in a BJP review this week (so I'm told - I haven't read it); also some people are complaining of viewfinder misalignment. Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?
FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
11 Jan 2008 4:32PM

Quote:Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?

A camera or a copy of the BJP? Wink
11 Jan 2008 4:34PM

Quote:Quote:Anyone have more info (not that I'm buying one)?A camera or a copy of the BJP?

More info on the review/alleged alignment problem.
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2008 4:36PM

Quote:the 1DS Mk3 received a pasting in a BJP review this week (so I'm told - I haven't read it)

Not quite. Having read it the gist seemed to be that the out of camera jpeg files were not great for 'critical use.' Sacrificing overall quality for resolution, apparently, perhaps a little oversharpened etc. No review of RAW performance and I tend to wonder how often images where quality is paramount are taken in jpeg?
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
11 Jan 2008 4:38PM

Quote:perhaps a little oversharpened etc
even if the profile is adjusted?
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
11 Jan 2008 4:42PM
Shooting JPEG, instead of RAW, on a 1Ds Mk III?

Whatever would some people on here say? Wink
theredbaron 8 394 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2008 3:24PM
I got a 5d refurb body from Canon/Ingram Micro on ebay for 876 inc P&P
INGOLDBYR 12 3 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2008 4:41PM
If you need to check camera equipment prices try www.camerapricebuster.co.uk It tracks prices and is worth checking before you buy. At the moment Park Cameras are cheapest at 1199 for a new body
ripleysalien 7 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2008 8:03AM
I have been told by a Canon pro dealer that There is no 5D replacement planned as yet.

Steve
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Jan 2008 8:41AM

Quote:I have been told by a Canon pro dealer that There is no 5D replacement planned as yet.

Steve

Oh p**....I am waiting for 6D!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.