Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

cheapest way to calibrate a monitor.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dazzaman
    dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
    11 Feb 2011 - 2:15 PM

Do any of you guys know the cheapest or best free way to calibrate a monitor. As money is very tight at the moment.
    Thankyou guys.
    Darren.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Feb 2011 - 2:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Feb 2011 - 2:46 PM

not free but cheaper
    EBAY

Last Modified By CathyT at 11 Feb 2011 - 2:48 PM
    DuncanDisorderly

This lets you see how bad (or good) your monitor is.
    http://www.outbackprint.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html
    Works for prints too.

The article tells you what to looks for.
    It's very good!

DuncanDisorderly

Quote: Try the Lagom tests like this which give you something to aim at with your monitor controls.

That's an excellent resource - thanks!

User_Removed
    11 Feb 2011 - 7:37 PM

(Phew!!)

I'm good!!

Wink

DuncanDisorderly

Quote: (Phew!!)

I'm good!!

Wink

I know - scary stuff!
    I've never seen most of those tests before.

The Viewing Angle test is astonishing - my HP LP2475w passes with flying colours, but it makes my 2nd monitor look terrible, a medium price Acer that's not THAT bad - honest!
    I've now got to keep telling myself that - loud and often...

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Feb 2011 - 6:22 AM

Just as some general advice Darren, if you start bending all of your OSD (on-screen) controls around you'll run into the very real risk of causing banding. You may not always see the effects of it immediately, but every now and again it'll appear when you have a picture with an extremely fine gradient - and then it can be frustrating. Less is more - especially with consumer-level monitors which most of us have.

Best thing you can do really is concentrate on a greyscale test, and adjust the backlighting on your monitor so that you can achieve a deep black without crushing the shadows. Backlighting = brightness on most monitors, and you're adjusting the black point, so the terminology is a bit counterintuitive. To be certain that you're adjusting backlighting - it'll also dim the OSD menu.

You can also adjust the contrast a little if it helps you to retain highlight detail, but you should bear in mind that the contrast control is a digital adjustment rather than a hardware one [unlike brightness], so it's best to tweak that as little as possible. Aside from the increased risk of banding, an over-adjustment of contrast will reduce the dynamic range in your monitor.

There's a greyscale test at the bottom of ePz pages, otherwise Google it and take your pick! HTH

dazzaman
    dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
    12 Feb 2011 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for your much appreciated help guys and gals.iwill try all of your advice.
    Thankink you
    Darren

PhotoBud
    PhotoBud  3
    14 Feb 2011 - 5:30 AM

Isn't the cheapest way to calibrate is to use software supplied with the monitor?

Last Modified By PhotoBud at 14 Feb 2011 - 5:30 AM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73886 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2011 - 7:22 AM

Glenn offers some good advice. If you are a member of a camera club they may have a device they lend out.

Be carefull with the one provided in Windows- it does work - sort of. But needs your input but 100% sure you have complete colour vision, you would be surprised how many people don't particularly men. Ca 8-10% of men and 0.4% women, and that's just general figures I worked in the past in colour matching at the fringes with minor differences it's higher than that.

The calibration devices can be frustrating but they do work exceptionally well.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 14 Feb 2011 - 7:26 AM
    Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    12 Jun 2013 - 7:52 AM

Where did this old thread appear from? In fact, I haven't noticed this section before.

Actually, the cheapest way to calibrate a monitor to a reasonable standard is to reset it to factory defaults and then adjust using the display facility that comes free with Windows.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 9:33 AM

I tend to think a minimalist approach is best with cheap(ish) monitors, especially for photographers—who are more likely than movie-watchers and gamers to be bothered by banding problems. When you adjust the brightness you're having no impact on the LCD's dynamic range or gamut (unless taken to extremes), and you're not impinging on its available bit-depth. Ironically, you can't achieve the same minimalist approach with hardware calibration unless you invest in the more expensive packages allowing use of native settings.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jun 2013 - 6:37 PM

Quote: Actually, the cheapest way to calibrate a monitor to a reasonable standard is to reset it to factory defaults and then adjust using the display facility that comes free with Windows.

The thread is 2.5 years old!!!!!!! I'm guessing the issue has been solved by now Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.