Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

choices choices

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tamasalucy
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:28 PM

I want to buy a good macro lenses to take detailed pictures of insects and other small creatures. I was going to buy either sigma 105 or the Canon 110 but I am not sure if these will give me the quality of detail I desire. HELP .

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:36 PM

No harm in adding the Tamron to the list.
    The quality you desire is anyone's guess apart from your good self of course Wink

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:41 PM

All the macro lenses on any system are very very good. At the end of the day it will come down to the person using the gear and how dedicated they are. For serious macro work you will need to provide extra light ie flash. Extension Tubes etc. There is also the choice of using an old 20mm/24/28/50mm lens reversed which if I recall can give you 4x life size I could be wrong on the magnification great for greenfly size critters and also the cheapest route of all and the results will surprise you. Plenty of ways to get great macros without spending 300+ on a lens.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 22 Oct 2013 - 6:46 PM
    GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:49 PM

4x life size at 20mm down to 1/2 life size or so with a 50mm reverse or there about.
    forgot to put that in sorry.

Check Marks site lots of samples etc on reversed macro.
    http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 22 Oct 2013 - 6:52 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 7:08 PM

Lots of patience and a grasp of technique is a must with any lens including a suitable flash.
    Macro is a field on its own with the likes of Mark truly dedicated.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    lawbert
    lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 7:21 PM

Check out Ades site here on EpzWink

And many many others on Epz

Put your lenses into the epz search facility and you will get a gazillion pics of whats achievableWink

As a note the Canon is a 100mm and not 110mm and comes in 2 different variants, IS and Non IS....I just love the 100mm L IS...A tad pricey but a true walkabout Macro lensSmileSmileSmileSmile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    JonnyNI
    JonnyNI e2 Member 3633 forum postsJonnyNI vcard
    22 Oct 2013 - 7:29 PM

I had been keen for a long time to get myself a macro lens but as funds didn't allow I opted for the reverse setup (all in all it cost me about 11 as I already had a 50mm 1.8 I could use.) It takes a lot of patience and you get a lot of crap shots but I have managed a "few" that I'm quite happy with (you guys may think differently lol) which spurs me on a bit. Another reason I went down this route was also to see if it would be something I would stick at before saving for a macro lens.

tamasalucy
    22 Oct 2013 - 7:30 PM

lenses on any system are very very good. At the end of the day it will come down to the person using the gear and how dedicated they are. For serious macro work you will need to provide extra light ie flash. Extension Tubes etc. There is also the choice of using an old 20mm/24/28/50mm lens reversed which if I recall can give you 4x life size I could be wrong on the magnification great for greenfly size critters and also the cheapest route of all and the results will surprise you. Plenty of ways to get great macros without spending 300+ on a lens.
    [/quote] HI Gareth thanks for the advise I have just brought a reasonable ring flash and have a set of MACRO tubes but can't get the results I had hoped for .

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.