Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Choosing a compact to supplement my DSLR?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pixor
    pixor  10181 forum posts Australia
    2 Mar 2010 - 3:04 PM

Hi Folks,

I usually shoot with a Canon 40D plus a few nice lenses, but now there are a few compacts on the market that do RAW and reasonable image quality, I would like to get one of these to carry with me at all times.

I have narrowed things down to the Canon G11 and the Panasonic GF1. Both look to have great image quality for a compact. I like that the GF1 does HD video, and the pancake lens looks rather nice. I like that the G11 is cheaper!

Does anyone have either of these? Care to comment on your experience with them?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Mar 2010 - 3:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 113685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2010 - 3:42 PM

I would choose the S90.

It uses the same chip as the G11 - same great image quality.
    It is a pocket camera - the G11 isn't much smaller than a 40d with a light prime - if you want to carry the G11 around, you may as well take the 40D.
    Wide open at 28mm it's f2 - G11 is f2.8
    It's half the weight of the G11.
    It's a canon - you already have a canon, so should be a shallow learning curve.
    It's cheaper than a G11.
    It has a slightly bigger LCD than the G11.
    You can still shoot RAW.
    It has 2 direct control rings on the lens!

Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2010 - 3:49 PM

Hi Pixor. Bought an S90 at Christmas it's awsome. If you are after a pocket rocket you should consider this one but, it's not cheap.
    Adam

guidoa
    guidoa  131331 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Mar 2010 - 5:07 PM

The Panasonic LX3 gets very good reviews and has an f2. 24mm Summicron lens

Last Modified By guidoa at 2 Mar 2010 - 5:08 PM
    MediumSizeUnavailable

easy... the GF1

same sensor as a dslr (not so for G11)
    much better lens (lenzes)
    much better results at higher iso values

basically it's a dslr looking like a compact
    the G11 is 'just' a (good) compact

yes, the GF1 is more expensive, mostly for the reasons mentioned above

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7894 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    2 Mar 2010 - 6:25 PM

Another vote for the S90, I did try a G10 but way too big, the S90 sits in an old minolta leather pouch on my belt, even when I play golf, it is truly pocketable.

If you choose the S90 then the Richard Franiec grip is a must, makes shooting so much easier

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 12:07 AM

As my compact is playing up this is an area that interests me. I am intrigued to see how the cameras based on the new Sony backlit sensor technology work. The S90 looks nice but I found the controls very fiddly. The GF1 lacks IS and gets very bulky with a zoom on, plus costs a lot more, and the S90 looks expensive enough.

Is the Sony HX5 any good?

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 12:46 AM

S90 was no use to me, as I needed a hot shoe, so I stumped for the G11 (one of the first in Central Scotland to do so). Delighted with it. I'm experimenting more with angles, which is what I wanted, and I never find myself saying "I wish I'd brought the SLR". It's great for street photography, as people aren't intimidated by it.

Toonman
    3 Mar 2010 - 6:18 AM

Yes the G11 is very good (Ihad a G9) but, you may as well get a GF1 if you are going to pay that sort of money whereas the S90 is truly pocketable with near DSLR quality (In the right conditions).
    Adam

Last Modified By Toonman at 3 Mar 2010 - 6:20 AM
    pixor
    3 Mar 2010 - 8:19 AM

Interesting comments - thanks and keep them coming!

The GF1 appeals to me for the size and weight (I am thinking just about the 20mm "pancake" lens), as something to have with me at all times. I'd mainly be doing street photography with it.

I'd still have my DSLR for when I am "going out to take photographs", but there's so much I miss because I don't have my DSLR with me when I am walking about cities just doing my normal daily stuff.

I must admit, the missing IS is a shame, but with an f/1.7 lens, I don't think that should be much of an issue, unless shooting in low light (which I would like, but you can't have everything - not right now, anyway). A way round this might be the Olympus E-P2 + the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, but the costs are mounting.

Anyone want to buy a Canon 17-40mm f/4L? I may need to "rationalise" my lenses to justify this purchase!

petemasty
    petemasty  5155 forum posts England
    23 Mar 2010 - 9:18 PM

Will be taking delivery of my S90 tomorrow after deliberating somewhat between the Pnanasonic LX3 and Leic DLux4. Played with the S90 and was bowled over by its compactness and ease of use.

Wanted something to supplement my dSLR and something compact to do street and reportage photography. After all i have read, the Canon lens is certainly equal to the Leica lens of the Panasoic and the DLux. But, above all, picture quality being equal, its compactness and ease of use was the winner for me.

I suppose it's horses for courses. analyse what you want it for. Thats what I did and the Canon won ahead of the Pana and Leica.

pixor
    24 Mar 2010 - 12:15 AM

I ended up getting a Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens.

I'm really impressed with the quality. Not having a viewfinder is a little tricky as I wear glasses, and have to peep over them when focussing on the screen.

All in all, it's a success, as I am taking photos most days now Smile

Toonman
    24 Mar 2010 - 6:17 AM

Congrat's Pixor. Happy snapping.
    Adam

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.