Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Choosing between Canon and Nikon

10 Dec 2010 4:17PM
What should I consider when choosing between the Canon 7D, the Nikon D300s and the Nikon 7000? Should manufacturers lenses play an important part in that decision?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

10 Dec 2010 4:31PM
Go for the camera you prefer IMO the lens quality from either manufacturer is top quality and there will be little difference between comparable lenses
John_Frid e2
8 514 56 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 4:49PM
Different people will prefer different cameras for different reasons. Best advice is to work out what is important to you and make your own choice. If you can't decide then flip a coin - it wont matter much which you choose if you genuinely have no personal preference.
NeilS e2
7 940 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 4:54PM
Things to consider :-

What is my current lens line up

What do I shoot now and am likely to shoot in the future

How much do I ultimately want to spend

How do the cameras feel in your hands, and are the ergonomics ok

Then you need to look at the various lenses both manufacturers have, new,old second hand ones

Then look at what the third party manufactures lens are available

Then look at any other accessories you might need which are manufacturer specific

I suspect your choice will be a combination of all of the above, but may also be driven by a specific requirement
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 4:56PM
I think you should go into a shop, try both cameras, see which one you like the feel of best, then buy the Canon. Wink
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 4:57PM

Quote:I think you should go into a shop, try both cameras, see which one you like the feel of best, then buy the Canon.

Then wait for it to break down and wish that you had brought a Nikon !!!!
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 4:59PM

Quote:Then wait for it to break down and wish that you had brought a Nikon !!!!

Here we go Smile
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
10 Dec 2010 5:11PM
nicon ! my arse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all they do is play catch up Wink (worms)
10 Dec 2010 5:12PM
NeilS makes a good point - ergonomics.

The Nikons are physically slightly smaller and so may suit a smaller hand better. Also, the ability to do things in the menu systems is far easier on a Nikon than any Canon has ever been - a major selling point imho!!

Regarding lenses, at a pro level there is nothing to choose between the systems - both are outstanding. The Canon system has a better selection of f4 lenses - something Nikon has never had, although the better high iso performance of todays modern cameras has somewhat negated that slight advantage of the Canons.

The Nikon CLS (creative lighting system - ie, flashguns) are FAR better than the Canons too, so thats another area of consideration.

Whatever you do, don't flip a coin. Do your homework instead.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Dec 2010 5:25PM
Get both a Nikon & Canon, That way you'll have the best of both worlds, Without the stress of having to choose.......Grin

Works for me and my Canon girl other half......Wink

Today though a lot of smart money is going down the " Pentax " road, For very good reasons too.....Smile
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2010 5:37PM
Get both a Nikon & Canon

works for me Smile
11 Dec 2010 8:50AM

Quote:Get both a Nikon & Canon

works for me Smile

LOL.
Me too, my Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 is superb on my Canon 5D.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Dec 2010 11:23AM
The advice to "go into a shop and try both" is not entirely stupid but it can be a bit misleading.

In reality, any new SLR will feel a bit strange until you get used to it. Even switching between models from the same manufacturer can feel strange for a while.

I have never heard of anyone who bought a Nikon or a Canon saying that they could not get used to it after a few hundred exposures.

The problem with going near a shop is that the salesman will be under pressure to put you under pressure to choose the brand and model that currently has the biggest trade discount or dealer promotion going.

Between Nikon and Canon, it really is a question of flipping a coin and then sticking with your decision. In a couple of years your lenses and accessories will be worth many times what the body is worth, so you don't want to be switching brands then. That's probably the most powerful reason for restricting your choice to the "big two".
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
11 Dec 2010 2:29PM

Quote:The advice to "go into a shop and try both" is not entirely stupid but it can be a bit misleading.

It was a joke. Duh.
Grampy e2
5 507 71 England
11 Dec 2010 4:20PM
Buy the same make as a friend that has a lot of lenses (if you have one) Frankly having used both makes There really isn't much to choose between them, I have large hands so I prefer the Canon 7d but my wife finds it too heavy and prefers a smaller lighter body.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.