Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Choosing Digital Compact Camera

Taxboy 12 199
27 Mar 2011 5:52PM
I've tried a quickk search on this forum but the posts I turned up are now a couple of years out of date. I'm a regular SLR user over many years but now need a digital compact - primarily for a family wedding. The budget is 200'ish and ideally I'm looking for high quality images, portability, good flash performance and very little shutter lag if possible. Is it simply a matter of seeing what handles best for me in this price range or are there any clear winners ?

I have tried some internet research but the range of digicams is vast so any pointers to trim my search list down is much appreciated

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

27 Mar 2011 7:07PM
look at sony cybershot/canon powershot range
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
27 Mar 2011 11:43PM
You could try the Canon PowerShot SX220 HS, which allows manual and semi-auto control, offers Full HD video shooting, and should have a pretty responsive performance. Flash output might be on the weak side, but can be supplemented with a slave unit, albeit at a cost.

Image quality won't vary vastly at this price point, and doesn't increase significantly until you reach the relatively expensive raw-capable compacts for an extra 150 - 200. Back-illuminated CMOS sensors are advertised as delivering better results at higher ISOs, but still you'd probably want to avoid high ISO settings where possible - especialy if you're used to DSLR quality.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 might be another option.
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 9:27AM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.