Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Choosing Digital Compact Camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    27 Mar 2011 - 5:52 PM

I've tried a quickk search on this forum but the posts I turned up are now a couple of years out of date. I'm a regular SLR user over many years but now need a digital compact - primarily for a family wedding. The budget is 200'ish and ideally I'm looking for high quality images, portability, good flash performance and very little shutter lag if possible. Is it simply a matter of seeing what handles best for me in this price range or are there any clear winners ?

I have tried some internet research but the range of digicams is vast so any pointers to trim my search list down is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Mar 2011 - 5:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121010 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    27 Mar 2011 - 7:07 PM

look at sony cybershot/canon powershot range

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2011 - 11:43 PM

You could try the Canon PowerShot SX220 HS, which allows manual and semi-auto control, offers Full HD video shooting, and should have a pretty responsive performance. Flash output might be on the weak side, but can be supplemented with a slave unit, albeit at a cost.

Image quality won't vary vastly at this price point, and doesn't increase significantly until you reach the relatively expensive raw-capable compacts for an extra 150 - 200. Back-illuminated CMOS sensors are advertised as delivering better results at higher ISOs, but still you'd probably want to avoid high ISO settings where possible - especialy if you're used to DSLR quality.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 might be another option.

Last Modified By GlennH at 27 Mar 2011 - 11:45 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3601 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    1 Apr 2011 - 9:27 AM

Have a look at the SX220:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-powershot-sx220-hs-digital-camera-review...
    or TZ18:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-tz18-digital-camera-review-159...

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.