Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

choosing entry level camera SLR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

basith
basith  2 Sri Lanka
3 Aug 2012 - 7:41 AM

I'm beginer to photography.I decided to buy 'NIKON D3100'. I need help, which brand or camera is good to me?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Aug 2012 - 7:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
3 Aug 2012 - 8:01 AM

The brand of camera is not important. Go to your local camera dealer, with a fixed budget, and handle various different models. I think your only question need be, do I want interchangable lenses, or will a fixed lens (bridge camera) suit me better. Buy the one which you think is the best for your style of photography. Remember you want to be a photographer NOT an equipment junkie.

basith
basith  2 Sri Lanka
3 Aug 2012 - 8:07 AM

thank u,Newdevonian

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 - 9:43 AM

The old saying 'the best camera is the one you use' seems to be a useful one here! As the last poster said - get to a camera shop and have a feel of some of the models in your budget.

And welcome to EPZ! You will learn lots here!

thewilliam
3 Aug 2012 - 10:13 AM

One important point to consider is the weight. How heavy is comfortable to lug around? Now that I'm in my sixties, I have two distinct types of kit - working kit which is seriously heavy and walkabout kit that isn't. The D3100 is a good choice for walkabout because it weighs very little but shares a sensor and electronics with its top-end brethren.

If you don't take the camera with you, you won't get any pictures!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 3 Aug 2012 - 10:15 AM
basith
basith  2 Sri Lanka
3 Aug 2012 - 11:22 AM

thanks to Thewilliam&Nigeyboy

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you are looking for a camera, go for a make that is popular. The top camera manufacturers are Canon and Nikon. You will find you can get lenses, plus any other accessory easier. Also, if you are looking at the Nikon D3100, I would consider it's replacement, the D3200, which is a far better camera.
Stephen

Jestertheclown
3 Aug 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: I would consider it's replacement, the D3200, which is a far better camera.

I'm not sure that it's a far better camera.

It's certainly a far more expensive camera. The difference in price would be sufficient to pay for a good few 'getting started' bits and pieces.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2012 - 12:20 PM

If you go to camera shop also try a canon 650D next to the Nikon.

pmeswani
pmeswani e2 Member 2pmeswani vcard United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 - 1:13 PM

Quote: If you go to camera shop also try a canon 650D next to the Nikon.

Have a look at my User Review on this site regarding the 650D. I have the 650D, and it is a good camera, but as someone has already said, go to your local camera shop and try a few cameras out and go for the one that works for you.

thewilliam
3 Aug 2012 - 2:54 PM

Many people consider Nikon lenses to be superior to Canon but it all comes down to which camera feels nicer in your hand.

It helps if you can borrow each of your shortlisted cameras. You need experience to choose a camera and you need the camera to gain experience!

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 - 2:55 PM

go for the nikon d3100 its a great camera dont worry about the my cameras better than your camera bragade.what ever you buy will be out of date as soon as you buy it anyway. cameras seem to be fashion items today and the prices keep going up and up with every new model so why pay more than you need to because in two years you might want the latest one anyway and try selling the one you got which will be hard to get anywere near the price you paid for it.

Jestertheclown

Shaun makes a very good point above.
All of the cameras in the same line up as the D3100 will give good results and I'd expect their overall performance to be pretty similar in all respects.
Remember, a cheap(er) body with a quality lens will deliver more than an expensive body with cheap(er) lens.
If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the D3100 or a similar equivalent and put any cash you've got left over towards some better (than the kit lens) glass.
Depending on your budget, you could of course, just buy a body and a lens of your choice, bypassing the kit lens altogether.

basith
basith  2 Sri Lanka
4 Aug 2012 - 7:21 AM

Thanks, all of u

thewilliam
4 Aug 2012 - 10:45 AM

In an unguarded moment, one of the Nikon people conceded that the picture quality of the entry level Nikon bodies is equal to that of the "professional" models because they share a lot of common parts. Yes, you do get what you pay for but the difference isn't picture quality straight out of the box.

If you want to use creative controls, professional bodies have easily twiddled external controls. On the other hand, the entry bodies have them buried in a menu where the average punter is unlikely to find them. This is because when a control is used unwisely, it can make the picture much worse.

When treated with reasonable care, an entry body will last as long as you need it to. Professional bodies are so much heavier because they're designed to shrug off abuse.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.