Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Choosing film scanner under 1000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Saran
    Saran  1163 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Apr 2003 - 3:19 PM

I want to buy a film scanner for under 1000 on my shortlist are:
    Microtek Artixscan 4000tf
    Canon Canoscan FS4000US
    Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED

I am not a professional photographer but would like to produce some saleable prints (from my Epson 2100) I have hundreds of colour/b&w negs to scan and a few transparencies. I am on ahuge learning curve and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Apr 2003 - 3:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    1 Apr 2003 - 3:44 PM

Hi Sara

I have used the Nikon SuperCoolscan 4000ED to scan all of my slide collection before I went to digital capture. I can recommend it as being of superb qaulity and producing scans with a huge amount of depth and detail.

I have no experience with the other 2 and no doubt they are capable machines however the Nikon scanner is consistently the highest acheiver when it comes to independet comparative reviews

Good Luck

Barrie

cool cat
    cool cat  12145 forum posts
    2 Apr 2003 - 11:51 AM

The nikon is the best scanner there. It also comes with the best dust and scratch removal/ software on the market (ICE3). This alone has saved me 1000's of hours in PS.

Cheers

Rob

ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    8 Apr 2003 - 10:21 PM

I have a Nikon coolscan IV ED (the cheaper 2800 dpi one) and it is fantastic. Have printed bigger than A4 with saleable quality results. Colour matching is great, ICE facility marvellous, software is easy but literature lousy. It has managed to produce an image where it was not even visible to the eye on the slide! (exposure mess up).

So far I have seen no reason to go to a scanner capable of 4000 DPI, and at half the price of the 4000 I am very pleased.

Saran
    Saran  1163 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Apr 2003 - 8:02 AM

Thank you so much everyone. I plumped for the Nikon and am delighted with the quality and ease of use. I would certainly recommend it to others. Thanks again for your responses.
    Sara

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.