Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Christening Pics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mark_24
    Mark_24  2 United Kingdom
    27 Aug 2012 - 7:40 PM

Looking for advice (HELP!!!!) on photographing a Christening

Only took photography up in Jan 2012, and my Sister in Law has asked if i can take photos at my Niece's Christening in a few weeks. She has indicated that i can have free reign over how i shoot, so was wondering if anyone has any info/tips. I have only shot friends children before, as well as random objects, and have no idea about "what works".

I have a Fujifilm S2970 camera.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Aug 2012 - 7:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    27 Aug 2012 - 9:45 PM

I'd suggest that you use the search facility to look up tips on wedding photography.
    There are plenty of forum threads on that subject and whatever advice you glean from them will be just as applicable at a christening.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104044 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2012 - 9:48 PM

How dark is the church, have you got flash & are you allowed to use it and being family, is she ok if you don't get any decent shots? Sorry to be negative, but they are not terribly easy to shoot.
    Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Aug 2012 - 9:49 PM

Talk to the clergy before the event and find out what the do or do not allow during the service.

You should be able to set up groups around the font and other areas after the servce.

Barry

popeyebilly
    28 Aug 2012 - 11:54 AM

Having just had my daughter christened in a Catholic church and having been to a few different christenings, I havn't yet come across an awkward Priest who doesn't allow flash. The priest said to us that unlike weddings who have Pros shooting them that can deal with low light and that it is a legal declaration etc, a christening is more about family. There were 4 christenings at the same time as ours and there were at least 4 different photographers and the priest let them go wherever and do whatever they liked really.

Ant

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53651 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 3:46 PM

Get lots of light near her, zoom out quite wide wherever possible and get in close to reduce the effects of camera shake where possible.
    If flash it OK then use it.
    Actually practice at home with a cushion or something to see how they might come out with similar lighting.
    Carry a red balloon/ bright shiny thing to get her attention.
    I even found a bright red shirt can help with very young children as colours seem help them look at you.

Good luck.
    Stuart

Jestertheclown
    28 Aug 2012 - 4:21 PM

Quote: I even found a bright red shirt can help with very young children as colours seem help them look at you.

Not recommended if you're photographing a bull though.

Mark_24
    Mark_24  2 United Kingdom
    28 Aug 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. Will try to get a meeting set up with Clergy, and also gives me a chance to scout the location.
    Better also speak to sis in law, and find out WHAT pics she wants.

Quote: Carry a red balloon/ bright shiny thing to get her attention.

The way she's been so far, she'll be crying most of the time lol

MattK
    MattK  263 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Sep 2012 - 8:32 PM

I have just shot a Christening for family on my wife's side. It was quite a quick service but great fun! the reverend/vicar was brilliant. If you want to see some of the photos to get some ideas (or what to avoid!) then feel free. There were two Christenings going on at once which confused the heck out of me as I wasn't aware of this to begin with.

Getting your position before anyone else around the "sink" where they get Christened/baptised is key really.

I used flash and this helped me a lot. The reverend said to me a soon as I walked in that I could shoot away and use flash as freely as I wanted - SCORE!!

It was good fun but having no experience of Christenings before it was interesting not knowing where to go at which points!!

My christening photos from the day are on...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathewkendall/sets/72157631389847642/

I hope they help Smile

Kind regards,

Matt

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.