Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Chromebooks

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111541 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 7:53 PM

I've been contemplating getting a Chromebook for those times when I'm away from home or for just when I don't want to sit at a PC.

Does anybody have one, if so what are your thoughts on it? Glorified tablet? Handicapped laptop? Good, bad or indifferent?

It would also be useful for work as we have migrated over to using Gmail and will soon be using google docs.

Last Modified By CaptivePhotons at 27 Mar 2013 - 7:54 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Mar 2013 - 7:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91032 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:01 PM

I looked at converting an old laptop into a Chromebook by installing the Chromium OS. Chromium didn't get very good write ups; most people questioned the logic of having an operating system without local storage. After a bit of reading I decided to try installing a flavour of Ubuntu, which sounded like it did everything I needed (lightweight, support for wireless browsing etc). Fortunately you can try this approach by booting into Ubuntu from a USB stick. Not sure I'm wed to the Ubuntu approach, but given how easy it is to try different flavours of it using the USB method, I'm going to keep looking. Tongue

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8980 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:02 PM

Go test one out, like tablets and laptops they all have their place, what works for one person may not work for the other.

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111541 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:07 PM

Quote: Go test one out, like tablets and laptops they all have their place, what works for one person may not work for the other.

It's ok playing with one in a shop for ten to fifteen minutes but I would like to know if anybody has any real world experience, for example they might have thought it was great in the shop, only to get home and find it a bit limiting or it conversely it surpassed their expectations.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.