Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Circumstances

gary_d e2
6 556 13 Wales
18 Nov 2012 11:39AM
I received a PM from a gentleman yesterday pointing out the reasons why my wildlife and bird images are not up to his standard, he set out a list of things I should do to improve.

Whilst I totally agree with the fact that his work is far superior to mine and that the message was sent with my best interests in mind I feel I must draw up my reasons as why in my case it is not possible.

All but a very few of my images are taken while out with my dog Patch, most of you know him very well, the reason I go out is for his and my exercise and the photography comes a close second.

I do not have the luxury of carrying a tripod or sitting in a purpose build hide with perfect backgrounds but rely on spotting a subject in the wild and sometimes I get lucky and get close enough to get a shot, thatís if Patch as not already ran in front and scared it away.

I feel I have to write this because not all images should be judged against each other but circumstances should be taken in to consideration.

I except that my level of ability and circumstances means I will never be the best but still enjoy photography and that should be what it is about surely.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 11:45AM
The best judge of your imaging is you - who cares what anyone else thinks.....
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Nov 2012 11:53AM
Unfortunately, when we look at photos, we have no idea what the situations were. So, there is no way to judge the quality based on that. What we can do is to compared to those we have seen before. Even though you might not have the perfect conditions, but those points are still good to bear in mind.

Of course, if you are happy with them and enjoy what you do, then that's fine.

Saying that, I have no idea why you think you should tell everyone, other than the kind person who tried to help you.
gary_d e2
6 556 13 Wales
18 Nov 2012 12:01PM

Quote:Saying that, I have no idea why you think you should tell everyone, other than the kind person who tried to help you.

If that is true Cole then the forum posts will become a lot less.

I already wrote that I appreciate the fact his message was meant to be helpful, and I did not mention his name either.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 12:07PM

Quote:Saying that, I have no idea why you think you should tell everyone, other than the kind person who tried to help you

Exactly my thought.

And the idea of a wild life photographer who goes out with a dog that chases the animals away is hilarious.

I like to take candid pictures of people in the street but unfortunately my day-glo pink suit, revolving bow tie and 10x8 stand camera tend to make people wary of me Grin
gary_d e2
6 556 13 Wales
18 Nov 2012 12:11PM

Quote: And the idea of a wild life photographer who goes out with a dog that chases the animals away is hilarious.

Grin

But I am not a wildlife photographer, I am a dog walker that takes photographs or did I not make that clear.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Nov 2012 3:52PM

Quote:And the idea of a wild life photographer who goes out with a dog that chases the animals away is hilarious.

Grin

But I am not a wildlife photographer, I am a dog walker that takes photographs or did I not make that clear.

Gary,

You might think that.

But the fact that you belong to ePz and take the trouble to post your images here does suggest that you are under-selling your level of interest in photography.

OK - at present you take snaps of birds while out walking Patch. Great.

But would you have no interest in leaving Patch at home (or in the car) now and then and concentrating on the photography? Maybe then your anonymous benefactor's advice might be useful.

Good luck, whichever way you go.
Paintman e2
8 876 173 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 4:04PM
Is there any chance of posting the list of ways to improve your wildlife photos by this person as I wouldn't mind improving my shotsSmile

P.S. this is a serious request.
gary_d e2
6 556 13 Wales
18 Nov 2012 4:59PM

Quote:
Grin

But would you have no interest in leaving Patch at home (or in the car) now and then and concentrating on the photography? Maybe then your anonymous benefactor's advice might be useful.

Patch is almost 14 year old so perish the thought that time will come sooner than I want it to so until that time comes I intend to enjoy every walk we have together.

But I take your point and thanks for the input.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
18 Nov 2012 5:05PM
Gary, I do sympathise. Of course you can't leave Patch at home, and I for one love seeing him. One sad day you might have time to stop a little longer to concentrate on your photography, but in the meantime you're happy doing what you're doing and no-one should tell you otherwise. Smile

However, as mentioned above, it would be interesting to hear the tips this helpful person gave you. I find bird photography a complete nightmare, but then I don't have the equipment to do it properly, nor the inclination if truth be told. But I do admire many of the bird and wildlife photographers on here whether that's my area of interest or not. I'm sure we can all learn something.

xxx
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
18 Nov 2012 5:15PM

Quote:And the idea of a wild life photographer who goes out with a dog that chases the animals away is hilarious

Years ago I`d go fishing and do a bit of wild life photography at the same time, I even got to make friends with an inquisitive Weasel on one occasion Smile
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 5:21PM

Quote:Patch is almost 14 year old so perish the thought that time will come sooner than I want it to so until that time comes I intend to enjoy every walk we have together.

You ain't ever going to regret doing that.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Nov 2012 5:30PM

Quote:Patch is almost 14 year old so perish the thought that time will come sooner than I want it to so until that time comes I intend to enjoy every walk we have together.

+1. Best answer I heard.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 5:55PM
If you enjoy doing what you do, just do it. You are not looking to be a wildlife photographer to publish your work in some fancy mag. Go out with your dog, enjoy his company as he must enjoy yours, take your shots and enjoy life to the full.
Stephen
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
18 Nov 2012 6:06PM
I'm no wildlife photographer it just doesn't do anything for me but I think this is a cracking shot and one of the best wildlife shots I have seen on here. Link to one of Gary's photos.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.